BYU Police Department Decertification Countdown

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

BYU Police Department Decertification Countdown

Post by 2bizE » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:58 am

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/g ... in=0&sec=0

This is my first time creating a countdown timer, but clicking on the link should show the timer. I couldn’t figure out how to show it face up...but the date is Sept. 1, 2019
~2bizE

RubinHighlander

Re: BYU Police Department Decertification Countdown

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:28 pm

With the campus police decertified, it would be interesting to come up with some scenarios where the the authority they used to have is usurped and they have to then call in the regular cops but the regular cops don't see any issues so the whole thing get's dropped and all their time was wasted.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:38 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:28 pm
With the campus police decertified, it would be interesting to come up with some scenarios where the the authority they used to have is usurped and they have to then call in the regular cops but the regular cops don't see any issues so the whole thing get's dropped and all their time was wasted.
Wonder if between the Utah County Sheriff and the Provo Police Department, if they might designate an official LDS enforcement division to routinely roust BYU apartment dwellers and serve as a morality squad answerable to that punishment group calling itself an "honors office"?

Utah County is, after all, the most Mormon county in Utah.

BTW, thank you 2bizE for your cleverness and initiative!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 pm

Is the decertification happening on Sept 1, then? The most recent news I saw was this:

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:53 pm

blazerb wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 pm
Is the decertification happening on Sept 1, then? The most recent news I saw was this:
Well, that’s a bummer. I guess this is a timer for the hearing to review the appeal.
~2bizE

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:10 am

blazerb wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 pm

I find it interesting that that is the only article I could find on there being a delay on the BYU-PD decertification.

There have been several articles since this in various news sources talking about the pending decertification, but no one else mentions it.

It could be as basic as none thought it news worthy, but I find that doubtful, given the attention on this case.
Is this a fluff piece by BYU to placate the populous? Let everyone know that they are on top of things?
Someone leak something that should not have been made public?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:29 am

Update on this. While I was looking at other stuff, I came across a couple articles.

1. Despite the sate law now being that BYU PD must comply with open records laws, they are still fighting releasing records. IN Sept the state department of records ordered the release of documents. BYU said they couldn't because now the documents in question contain personal details. I find it funny that BYU actually said that the documents were worded in such a way that they did not expect them to ever be subject to public review. If they did, they would have been worded different. Needless to say, many people are still not happy, including the state records department.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/09/13/ ... rd-orders/

2. While the law was passed that made BYU PD subject to GRAMMA, several people have sued BYU to make the law retroactive. This has gone up to the state Supreme court. Oral argument were heard in early October. Ruling is expected early next year.
https://fox13now.com/2019/10/04/utah-su ... ords-laws/
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams