A Quote by Nelson We Should All Take to Heart

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Random

A Quote by Nelson We Should All Take to Heart

Post by Random » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:50 am

I also posted this on my blog. It's a total keeper!

"While searching for the truth, we must be free to change our mind—even to change our religion—in response to new information and inspiration… One’s religion is not imposed by others. It is not predetermined. It is a very personal and sacred choice, nestled at the very core of human dignity.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/archives/ ... o-be-96622
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Re: A Quote by Nelson We Should All Take to Heart

Post by Random » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:53 am

And I posted this in Support, because I think it supports exactly what we are trying to do - Search for truth, even if it means changing our minds and our religion.

Even if someone else had said it, I think it would be a good thing to be reminded of.

The irony of Nelson saying it is not lost on me, and-of course-I know he doesn't mean to leave his corporation.

Sometimes there are real truths that come out of the mouths of people.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:11 pm

Great quote Random!

In context he’s speaking to non members under the assumption that he has the truth and claims they should find truth and leave their church for his.

Either way I’m going to file this one and send it to a few TBMs I known.

Thanks again for posting this.

Do you have a link to your blog?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:23 pm

Random wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:50 am
I also posted this on my blog. It's a total keeper!

"While searching for the truth, we must be free to change our mind—even to change our religion—in response to new information and inspiration… One’s religion is not imposed by others. It is not predetermined. It is a very personal and sacred choice, nestled at the very core of human dignity.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/archives/ ... o-be-96622
I like the quote, it really highlights that we should follow where the truth leads.

I'm conflicted about the second part though. I like the way it supports people choosing to change, but it suggests that the religion people follow is not mostly set by what their parents believe which I disagree with. My religion WAS imposed on me by my family and community. They did everything they could to make it predetermined and to force my very personal and sacred choice to be what they wanted. I don't think that is unique to mormonism. And I went through great emotional pain as I realized the religion imposed on me was probably bs. It feels like gaslighting; saying they support the opposite of what they do.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:04 pm

Wow that's a whopper of a quote... I know the context he is speaking on is more about freedom of religion, but it's pretty clear that he's saying we should feel free to change religion when new information presents itself.

This is not something he would be saying in the post-CES Letter world.

Nice find - I will be sharing this one as well!

Also - what's the link to your blog? I want to credit the source of this one... it's an amazing quote!

Random

Post by Random » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:25 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:11 pm
I forewarn you that it's pro-Snuffer.

https://ljnsvoice.blogspot.com/

PK

Random

Post by Random » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:28 pm

You bring up good points. To be true, the quote should read something like this:
One’s religion should not be imposed by others. It is not predetermined, because there comes a time when you can search for truth. Your religion is a very personal and sacred choice, nestled at the very core of human dignity.”
Linked wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:23 pm
I'm conflicted about the second part though. I like the way it supports people choosing to change, but it suggests that the religion people follow is not mostly set by what their parents believe which I disagree with. My religion WAS imposed on me by my family and community. They did everything they could to make it predetermined and to force my very personal and sacred choice to be what they wanted. I don't think that is unique to mormonism. And I went through great emotional pain as I realized the religion imposed on me was probably bs. It feels like gaslighting; saying they support the opposite of what they do.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:39 pm

Linked wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:23 pm
I don't think that is unique to mormonism.
It isn't. On reddit, I've looked at exJW, ex7th Day Adventists, exMuslim, and a few other "ex" forums. Same story. Same struggles when deciding to choose to believe differently (the only real difference is that for the exMuslim, their lives may be in danger).
And I went through great emotional pain as I realized the religion imposed on me was probably bs. It feels like gaslighting; saying they support the opposite of what they do.
I understand. It isn't easy. It's painful. It's anger inducing. And it's more difficult if you have family members who would be crushed or scorn/persecute you or shun you. Whether purposely or not, it seems they up the gaslighting.

But once out of the the mindset, one can't really return. (I suppose some few have, but I can't imagine being able to go back after seeing the love for power/adoration and money the current leaders have.) Sometimes, a thought wants to tell me that I'm being punished for leaving when I feel depressed or anxiety - but the truth is that I feel less anxiety and depression than I did when I was a full-blown active member.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:41 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:04 pm
Also - what's the link to your blog? I want to credit the source of this one... it's an amazing quote!
If you want to credit the source, you should credit this blog: http://barerecord.blogspot.com/2019/08/ ... hoice.html That is where I found the quote.

PK

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:53 am

Loved this:

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:55 am

Random wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:25 pm
Red Ryder wrote:

That’s why I love your participation here Random! You’re not afraid to post your thoughts and follow your heart.

Thanks for the link. I’ll have to read through your blog when I have more time.

Random

Post by Random » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:14 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:55 am
You’re not afraid to post your thoughts and follow your heart.
Everyone here has been very nice to me when I've posted my thoughts, even though we believe differently on many things. Even when they disagree with me, they've been nice about it, and I've learned things I didn't know before because of it.

PK

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:45 am

Random wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:25 pm
Red Ryder wrote:

I love your blog!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Random

Post by Random » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:39 pm

MoPag wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:45 am
I love your blog!!!
Thanks. I appreciate that. Often I feel like I'm not adding anything appreciable to the blogosphere, but if it interests or helps some people, that's good.

PK