Addiction: Everything we think about it is likely wrong

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
RubinHighlander

Addiction: Everything we think about it is likely wrong

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:23 pm

I came across the TED talk today and thought it was really great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY9DcIMGxMs

I've never had to deal with addiction for myself or anyone close to me, but I have thought a lot about it as my kids are now adults and use alcohol, pot and psychedelics. There's a percentage of the population that is more genetically predisposed to addiction. But the guy who did this research found that our usual methods to deal with it continue to fail miserably and often have the opposite desired effect. I've seen the failure of the war on drugs. Like many social issues, political and religious systems love polarizing problems like addiction, women's rights, climate change, etc., because it gives them more fuel for their fear mongering machine and keeps them in power. The shaming is the common thread I see between our typical method of dealing with addicts and the way TSCC treats sinners, doubters and non-believers.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Newme

Re: Addiction: Everything we think about it is likely wrong

Post by Newme » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:52 pm

Fascinating topic!
Interesting talk too. I like how he said, “the opposite of addiction is connection” and explained that we’ve become more like the “isolated cave” - lonely and a breeding ground for addiction as a way to meet needs for connection.

I think that often the approach to addictive behavior is mistaken. I believe environmental factors are often as significant, or more, than genetics. Still, genes are one piece of the puzzle. It could also have to do with passing on approaches to trying to feel better. My ggrandma was kind of an alcoholic, her daughter was and her daughter was a food addict. My addiction has been internet. ;) But mostly only when (as stated in the op video) I am around people who it’s tough to be around.

What makes someone more susceptible to becoming addicted seems to be, at least partly, based on a sense of lack - trying to fill a void. Dr. Gabor Mate claims people who become addicted statistically tend to have had hard times & addiction is their attempt to solve the problem of their pain. Addiction is a sign of pain & more pain (like shaming etc) doesn’t help but may worsen addiction.

https://youtu.be/5OqVA6wNdq8

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:54 pm

I have a close nephew who is in medicine, currently working on his doctorate and is an addict. You would be shocked to find out how many in the field of medicine suffer from addiction. He and I have discussed this issue at great length.

Yes, there are genetic predispositions to addiction but what the average politician, clergyman, Joe blow on the street doesn't realize is that drug use makes actual physical changes to the brain that are extremely difficult to reverse. It is not a matter of weak morals or lack of willpower. I've seen addicts relapse after being absolutely clean for seven years.

Young people who decide to experiment, regardless of the reason, have no clue how deadly and life altering the "fun stuff" is they're toying with.
People who suffer from chronic pain or have severe but temporary pain from trauma or medical procedures, many times have no experience dealing with the effects of opioid pain killers.

We are a naive nation.

1. Once an individual has become drug dependant, shaming or guilt tripping is an exercise in futility. Totally useless as an aid to recovery.

2. The law should allow for forced intervention without social repercussions to the patient, such as a police record unless other crimes have been committed. Intervention should be a shared cost. The reason I say "forced" is because in my humble opinion, addicts are as good as insane and are no longer responsible for their actions.

3. Feel good programs, such as "Dare" that have been proven ineffective should be shelved in favor of programs and policies that actually work.

There's more but.....I'm tired and it's late...😔
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Angel

Post by Angel » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:42 am

Palerider wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:54 pm
Yes, there are genetic predispositions to addiction ...
I would like to add that for some, addiction starts due to environmental factors, and for others there really are genetic predispositions. As someone who has studied my family's genealogy :lol: there are definitely some patterns... You know the nursery rhyme "old King Cole was a merry old soul?" there are several who actually claim to be King Cole from that tale, one of them is a grandfather of mine - he really was a King (that line can be traced back pretty far), the nobility ends with "King Edward the unprepared" - anyways, that entire line - generation after generation after generation - are ... "merry old souls'" LOL. I guess it isn't funny... my grandfather died of alcohol poisoning, I have Aunts and uncles whose lives are still a real mess...

I'm not Mormon anymore, but I don't drink alcohol due to my family history.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:17 am

Angel wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:42 am

I'm not Mormon anymore, but I don't drink alcohol due to my family history.
👍
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington