What should the church remain neutral on?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

What should the church remain neutral on?

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:59 am

Pick one item and let’s create a list of things the church should remain neutral on:

1. Everything in the bedroom.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Just This Guy

Re: What should the church remain neutral on?

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:12 am

2. Politics including taking stands on any candidate or political movement that does not directly affect the church or it's members. I include things like gay marriage because no where has there been a law that would force the church to recognize or perform gay marriages. They need to stay out aof anything that is forcing someone to submit someone else's morals when it does not affect them.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:44 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:12 am
2. Politics including taking stands on any candidate or political movement that does not directly affect the church or it's members. I include things like gay marriage because no where has there been a law that would force the church to recognize or perform gay marriages. They need to stay out aof anything that is forcing someone to submit someone else's morals when it does not affect them.
Politics for sure. The Church hardly even bothers to hide its influence in Utah politics. This article from a few years back is fascinating:

https://utahpolicy.com/index.php/featur ... ho-you-ask
A new UtahPolicy poll by Dan Jones & Associates finds that three-fourths of the faithful members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints say their church has “about the right amount of influence” on state lawmakers’ political decisions.

But when you ask the same influence question of non-Mormons, you find super-majorities – 79 percent of Catholics, 84 percent of Protestants – say the Mormon Church has too much influence on Capitol Hill.
It is well known that any major – and sometimes, even minor – changes in Utah state liquor laws don’t happen unless Mormon leaders stay neutral on the change or endorse it.

For example, it took a lot of work with LDS Church leaders for the Legislature several years ago to do away with private liquor clubs and allow liquor-by-the-drink in properly-licensed bars.

It was a major change in Utah alcohol laws and LDS Church liquor stands.

Part of that deal was the installation in new bars and restaurants of the so-called “Zion Curtain,” a 7-foot barrier that keeps patrons from seeing liquor bottles and alcoholic drinks being mixed.

Several legislators – both Mormon and non-Mormon – have since tried to repeal the Zion Curtain (Jones’ polling has consistently showed most citizens want the curtain law repealed), but LDS Church officials have not agreed to such a change and the bills have always failed – as one did in the 2015 general session.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Emower

Post by Emower » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:47 am

3. What kind of underwear 15 million people should be wearing at all times.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:53 am

Working moms

Let families figure out how they will support themselves without the church heaping more guilt and feelings of inadequacy on women. It's created an unhealthy cast system in local units where women who do work are shamed or made to feel less worthy than those families with stay at home moms. Just stop making it a thing and the local units won't be as inclined to make it a thing. It seems they've backed off this narrative, but the prior preaching has made a lasting stigma for many wards and stakes, at lest here in Mordor.
Last edited by RubinHighlander on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:57 am

5. What scientific studies mean.

My dad told me that at education week he learned that science is a method of trying to find god.

ETA 5.
Last edited by Linked on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:08 pm

6. Family Size.
It's none of their business how many people a couple chooses to have or not have. It's better to have fewer kids who are well taken care of than many kids and parents who can't support them financially, mentally, physically, emotionally, time, etc.

7. Clothing.
It doesn't matter what a person wears if it meet community/society expectations for decency. It's not their business if stomach, leg, or shoulder is shown if society does not object.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Oh boy. This thread should be good, should I break out the popcorn?

Politics was the first thing that came to my tiny brain, so +1 to that.

Something else I've thought of that hasn't been mentioned:

8. Counseling: The Corporation of etcojcolds should get out of the business of counseling. LDS Family Services? Shut it down. Bishops offering "counsel"? NOPE. Send folks in need of help to real professionals and stop telling people that an invisible alien in the sky can fix anything.

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:54 pm

Worthiness. This is not for the church to decide.
~2bizE

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:40 am

Might have been a shorter list to identify what they should have an opinion on.

10. Diet. Sugar is ok but coffee isn’t? Let the doctors/nutritionists be the experts.

græy

Post by græy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:32 am

11. How much money any individual or family feels is right to "give back" to God. Also, there should be zero expectation of giving any money to "his church."
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:47 am

What would the LDS church actually have left if they stopped talking about these items? I think they would be left as a generic Protestant church focused on Jesus (hopefully, I suppose). All of these items are what makes the LDS church not only distinctive, but gives them a reason for existence in most instances.

You're not wrong about these items. But I just can't imagine that they will stop bothering us about these things because it will lead to their greatest fears: being irrelevant and in obvious decline. I suspect that their statistics department already understands this better than LDS leadership, but can't state this openly.

Random

Post by Random » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:12 pm

Emower wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:47 am
3. What kind of underwear 15 million people should be wearing at all times.
You beat me to it. "What kind of underwear a person wears," was the first thing I thought of.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:14 pm

12. Who a person confesses sins to. (I'm thinking along these lines: If my spouse cheats on me, that's between me and him and God. Confession may help relieve pressure, but it should be up to the "sinner" who they confess to.)
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK