Resume fun

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Resume fun

Post by 2bizE » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:35 pm

So, I recently interviewed a job candidate that listed about 5 church callings on his resume including being in a bishopric.
What are your thoughts on that?
Would it be appropriate to list NOM as an active business/educational membership?
~2bizE

Just This Guy

Re: Resume fun

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Is the job he is applying for being a bishop? Or is this a younger candidate that has little to no work experience? I consider the later unlikely if they were in a bishopric, that usually entails some life experience. If both answers are 'no', then, no it is not appropriate for a resume. If it doesn't directly apply to the position being sought, leave it off.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:10 pm

The only positive aspect I can think of, is that he is trying to show that he has done volunteer work that entails some kind of responsibility. Sometimes, job candidates list volunteer work as a way of showing that they have experience in managing or supervising other people.

The negative aspect is that he may be presenting himself as an "insider" who has so much in common with those doing the hiring, that they feel they must hire him. It's like saying, "I'm such a good Mormon, and there must be other Mormons here, so I should be hired, because I will fit right in as a team player." He's trying to get his foot in the door by name-dropping, so to speak. :roll: - Wndr.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:42 pm

Seems inappropriate and weird to me. I mean, I give tons of time to my kids' PTOs in my various roles, but I don't think anyone is more interested in that than they are my degrees, professional experiences and certifications when they're reading my resume so I certainly don't include it.

alas

Post by alas » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:08 am

Before I had any real job experience, except mother of three, I was advised to put down volunteer experience. I had a bit of that, even in the mental health field. Whoever the advisor was, I asked specifically about church volunteer positions and without knowing I was Mormon or being Mormon himself he said absolutely. So, after putting down volunteer experience I thought might count, I carefully put down generic terms, avoiding Mormon lingo, to say Relief Society President and primary president. The position was a civilian position working with military families, in Germany. So, next to zero chance of Mormonism being an advantage. But, one guy on the board of directors checked into my background beyond the resume and found I was Mormon. Then he researched what president of the women’s organization actually entailed. He pushed for me above the other applicants because he felt that specific volunteer experience put me above the others.

So, professional people who help job applicants fill out resumes do advise putting down volunteer experience especially when real job experience is lacking, and I know from personal experience that your church leadership positions can get you hired. So, although to Mormons, it sounds like virtue signaling to “brag” about church callings, to the rest of the world, church leadership positions count for something.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:28 am

I listed my volunteer service as the ward clerk and stake auditor on my resume when I was applying for a job shortly out of college. I didn’t call it that or even name the TCOFJCOLDS. When asked in an interview I explained I did basic reconciliations and check reimbursements. No religious talk needed because the hiring manager could see my mr smiley garment line, my 2 years of volunteer service gap which created a 2 year delay in college graduation, coupled with my excellent verbal skills from door to door sales, talk of early marriage and family commitments, and my love for complete obedience and loyalty to an organization and personal accountability. Yup, he “knew” I was Mormon by my countenance!

Someone should put together a resume for Joseph Smith!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:25 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:56 pm
Is the job he is applying for being a bishop? Or is this a younger candidate that has little to no work experience? I consider the later unlikely if they were in a bishopric, that usually entails some life experience. If both answers are 'no', then, no it is not appropriate for a resume. If it doesn't directly apply to the position being sought, leave it off.
This is a seasoned professional. It just caught me as odd that he would specify these things.
I used to include my volunteer work as a missionary on my resume but removed that years ago. My TBM brother, who has worked in several states as a banking professional said to drop it. Many people don’t like the church or religion, and it could be a deterrent to getting a job. I suppose if you are applying for a job at the COB you would include every church calling you ever had so they could see what a righteous person you are...
~2bizE

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:58 am

2bizE wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:25 am
Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:56 pm
This is a seasoned professional. It just caught me as odd that he would specify these things.
I used to include my volunteer work as a missionary on my resume but removed that years ago. My TBM brother, who has worked in several states as a banking professional said to drop it. Many people don’t like the church or religion, and it could be a deterrent to getting a job. I suppose if you are applying for a job at the COB you would include every church calling you ever had so they could see what a righteous person you are...

I used my mission as volunteer work for my fist couple o jobs. My frist job after coming back (Walmart), the store manager asked how I managed to get a cushy posting like California while his brother went to South America. Had a good laugh and then went on with the interview. No, he was not a member.

It was a 1 line resume filler in my first job out of college. Since then, I have not mentioned anything church related. Heck, I don't have room on my current resume for any volunteer activities. Too much work experience. :mrgreen: Even on my LinkedIn profile, I don't list my mission or other church callings. It doesn't fit in anywhere with a professional profile.

I can think of two two reasons why someone would list church leadership on a professional level resume: 1. Pad out a resume/hide a lack of experience. 2. Virtue signaling to members. In either case, I would say away from that candidate. Really, in either case, they don't know what they are doing.
Last edited by Just This Guy on Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Angel

Post by Angel » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:03 pm

That is hard when people are so wrapped up in the church that they have nothing else to help define themselves or be a part of. In one sense it would be good to give them a job not associated with the church so they can broaden themselves a little... but if their world view is so warped and limited that they would not be a helpful asset in the work environment, and there are better candidates out there for the job, then... you have to go with the more qualified candidates...

I am going to have to hire someone pretty soon as well. I'm in the bible belt, so quite a few resumes contain some little snippet letting me know religious affiliations (not too many Mormons, mostly various Christian denominations). I do not mind someone including their religious background on their vitae so long as it is a small side-note rather than all-consuming portion of it...

Hiring people is such a hard thing - I hate telling anyone "no", hate all the paperwork and background checks etc. that go along with it, ugh. wish there was a better way!
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:07 am

It seems to me that it's a whistle blow to make sure that he's getting into an environment that meshes with his worldview and, at the same time, a bid for getting special consideration because he's one of their kind of people. I was in a bishopric in my ward so I should be given that degree of respect in my work environment.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:23 am

I can imagine a discussion among hiring managers at the COB going like this:
“For the IT position, both candidates have good IT experience, but Mr. Johnson has served both as a Bishop and a Stake President. He has to be the better candidate.”
~2bizE

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:01 pm

I’ve been a hiring manager for a while and I see lots of resumes with lots of volunteer experience listed. Lots of peace corps and mission trips and leadership in non profits. I try to view the Mormon experience as I do the other but I admit to not wanting to work with Mormons. Every active Mormon I’ve worked with (which I admit hasn’t been many) were my least favorite bosses and coworkers.

Advocate

Post by Advocate » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:09 am

In my view, if someone is listing specific calling on a resume in Utah they are trying too hard. It reminds me of going to "Honest Al's" used car lot where you know you'll get a good deal because "Honest" is in the name!

I don't think there is anything wrong with putting volunteer positions on a resume. Making them LDS specific is a major mistake in my view (shows poor communication skills), but I don't live in Utah so maybe I'm off there. I have put down my participation in the boy scouts under the "Other" section on my resume.

I will say that non-church people do tend to view moral people in a positive light and are more likely to associate with them. I was surprised early this year when my boss, who is catholic, did something similar. We have an outside consultant that we had helping with several cases. The service wasn't as good as we had hoped, but we did recognize that they guy has other clients that are keeping him busier/more important. Later my boss said he wasn't going to send him any more work. When I asked why, he said that the service wasn't up to par and he was disappointed the guy had an affair with a co-worker and divorced his wife (they had kids at home still). So I don't think this is an LDS-specific thing.