Come Follow Me vs Come Along With Me

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Come Follow Me vs Come Along With Me

Post by Linked » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:57 pm

My 5 year old son has started singing the hymns with me during sacrament meeting. The other day we sang "Come Follow Me" and he laughed and said that it was like "Come Along with Me", the intro song for the show Adventure Time that we watch together.

But it's not. Come Follow Me includes a component of control. Come Along with Me is just love because you are together. I want my wife and kids to come along with me.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Come Follow Me vs Come Along With Me

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:21 pm

I prefer to sing the words to "Praise to the Man" as "Scotland the Brave".

Bagpipes are the only heartsell sounds that work on me anymore.

https://youtu.be/PSH0eRKq1lE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:34 am

Somewhere I saw someone make a reference to Cum Cum Ye Saints. Yikes. I wish I could get that out of my head every time I see that hymn on the program.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:50 am

Happened in my ward when I was a kid.

We were singing We Thank Thee Oh God For A Prophet. Got to the line that says: "There is hope smiling brightly before us and we know that deliverance is nigh."

Well, the chorister was named Hope and she was VERY pregnant at the time. Several people were stifling laughs at that moment.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Emower

Post by Emower » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:09 pm

The kids were learning "follow the prophet" at some point in the recent past. I hate that song, for obvious reasons. So I started to make fun of it substituting funny words. The word that stuck, that all my kids will sing now, is "follow the chocolate."

Some new primary song is new and focuses heavy on the "Jesus loves me." I always substitute "Jesus loves cheese" when they sing it and they all crack up.

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:50 am
Happened in my ward when I was a kid.

We were singing We Thank Thee Oh God For A Prophet. Got to the line that says: "There is hope smiling brightly before us and we know that deliverance is nigh."

Well, the chorister was named Hope and she was VERY pregnant at the time. Several people were stifling laughs at that moment.
Mt Olympus North Stake as I recall

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:05 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:21 pm
I prefer to sing the words to "Praise to the Man" as "Scotland the Brave".

Bagpipes are the only heartsell sounds that work on me anymore.

https://youtu.be/PSH0eRKq1lE
It pisses me off that the mormons ruined this song with their narcissistic JS prophet lyrics! Makes me think of RMN and his god complex:
Praise to the man who threw Jehovah under the bus to cover up his gay hater policy changes.
Someone more clever than me should take the lyrics and run with them. Weird Alma anyone?
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:30 pm

Here is a nice take on the Come Away lyric - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKEuOO0lQPc

Here is a much catchier melody version for Hie to Kolob - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLi6TH7O4yU
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Random

Post by Random » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:46 pm

One of my children, at around 5 -7 years of age, I think, was singing, Come, Come Ye Saints, and sang, "Come, come ye saints, no child nor labor fear."
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK