A one-liner that captures your disaffection

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
DPRoberts

Re: A one-liner that captures your disaffection

Post by DPRoberts » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:04 pm

I cannot devote my life to an organization I find to be neither true nor truthful.

I cannot fit reality inside the church's box.

With a nod to Hermey: What's good about Mormonism isn't unique and what's unique isn't good.

I found blind obedience to be incompatible with personal progression.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:53 am

DPRoberts wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:08 pm
Newme wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:29 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:08 pm
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
I like that. It’s similar to “I outgrew the cult.”
General authorities are substitutes for parental authorities.
Parental substitutes they were for me, particularly as I lost my parents earlier than most. And when I knew GAs were not inspired it felt like losing another parent, though less intense. That is one thing i outgrew. I also outgrew magical thinking, small-mindedness, religious elitism, judgemental thinking, and the need to think I know what, if anything, follows this life and how to control the outcome. I outgrew the need for certainty.

My three word one-liner has very deep meaning for me because I feel that my growth was inhibited in so many ways by TSCC. I could come up with a great deal more one-liners, but "I outgrew it" encapsulates a great quantity of meaning for someone who has experienced that growth.
I imagine that was rough, losing your parents young. It’s natural to seek parental substitutes - especially in that case. Maybe it also inspired you to grow up faster than most.

I have outgrew the cult, but I see good still and have compromised to raise our kids in it. But lately, one of my kids has been showing cultish shame toward me when he notices something I say or do that is not cult-approved. On the way home from church, I lectured them about the good and bad and had them repeat it to me - in their own words. They hated it, but I told them it’s important they are reminded of the other side of the picture, since they mostly only see the cultish side.

Btw - I like Princess Bride & remember your avatar from the old NOM.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:31 pm

I decided to go off road. ......religion-wise.
God is Love. God is Truth

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:45 am

When you have learned what I have you won’t need to ask me why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:02 pm

I love all these.

Personally, I am currently in a "f**k the church" phase of my faith crisis.

Random

Post by Random » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:12 pm

I wanted freedom.

[Okay, that wasn't true, I didn't know I was enslaved, but that's what I see now, especially when I read posts from those who are still tied to memberships for whatever reasons.]
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:13 pm

This stops with me.

Keewon

Post by Keewon » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:40 pm

onesmartdog wrote:When you have learned what I have you won’t need to ask me why.
I love this! :)