NOMference Fall 2019 Sunday Morning

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Newme

Re: NOMference Fall 2019 Sunday Morning

Post by Newme » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:47 am

Nelson is BSing - focusing on the relatively little they do, while ignoring the stealing, manipulation and dishonesty of which he and other leaders are guilty.

Lds church financial corruption is undeniable.

1) They warped scripture to get more money (tithes are supposed to be based on increase not income).
2) They take from the poor by demanding based on income when the poor have no increase left.
3) They disobey the law of tithing (Deut 14:28-29 - which is not taught in curriculum about tithing) - which states that at least 1/3 of tithes are supposed to be given to the poor.
4) Finances are kept secret except Oaks admitted no tithes go to the poor.
5) They use the temple to make money - charging for worthiness. This type of thing is the only time on record when Jesus expressed anger.
Last edited by Newme on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Random

Post by Random » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:47 am

Newme wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:26 am
The church’s main goal is NOT salvation and happiness - but their goal is for all to give the church and its leaders the glory. They care more that people stay in the lds cult’s “ship” than if they get in a ship of God.
Amen! I wish they did care about the people, though. What a different religion it would be.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:50 am

Uh, Russ, isn’t this what the church is supposed to be doing anyway? The members are good people because they are good people, not just because they are Mormon.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

græy

Post by græy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:50 am

Nelson

821 million going hungry without regular access to food is a recent high, but is just returning to where it was 10 years ago, and is actually a decrease as a percentage of total population vs a decade ago.

Overall for the past 50 years, we have made global progress in lifting people out of poverty.

I'm sure the other statistics have similar caveats.

Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:52 am

-10 to Stevenson for bashing questioners.

Mr. Stevenson, please provide straight answers.
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:54 am

græy wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:50 am
Nelson

821 million going hungry without regular access to food is a recent high, but is just returning to where it was 10 years ago, and is actually a decrease as a percentage of total population vs a decade ago.

Overall for the past 50 years, we have made global progress in lifting people out of poverty.

I'm sure the other statistics have similar caveats.

Don't worry, in response the Mormon Church will do it's part to combat hunger by building another temple in Orem
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:57 am

What I heard of Russ talk sounded like "your goodness is great for marketing, keep it up". I need to rethink my meager fast offering contributions.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:00 am

+5 to Stevenson for reminding me how they got rid of home teaching and replaced it with ministering, and by so doing killed off monthly awkward and forced friend visits entirely.

I hope all the other changes work equally well.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:04 am

A woman gave the closing prayer. Another of my predictions goes down. I'm glad.

græy

Post by græy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:12 am

DPRoberts wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:57 am
What I heard of Russ talk sounded like "your goodness is great for marketing, keep it up". I need to rethink my meager fast offering contributions.
Good summary.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:15 am

-20 for Nelson telling about his travels...don't forget to tell everyone it was private jets all the way for you and your entourage.

I like zero hour church Mr. Nelson. Thank you very much.

-100 for talking about latter day saint charities like it is the Mormon Church giving the money. It is money donated by the members ON TOP OF TITHING. The LD$ Church doesn't give their money away...they give members money away and act like it was theirs and they did it, then sock the rest away in investments.

Open the books Mr. Nelson. Prove me wrong.

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:19 am

Wow. I wish I could believe you Mr. Nelson that the Mormon Church has done all you say...I just can't know for sure since you don't show your financials to us.

-1000 for talking about all the help with cherry picked examples, and nothing to back up how they are actually spending the money.

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:51 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:14 am
SincereInquirer wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:12 am
I am late to the party. Fortunately I missed every session yesterday. Praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

So far I have -10 to Gong for lots of covenant path references.

I am giving Franco -5 for speaking in Primary voice despite the fact she is not from the USA.
Franco sounded like a 3 year old giving a primary talk.

Did they wash out Gong’s ethnicity with make up and lighting?
No. He is just getting more righteous, hence, more white and delight some.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:09 pm

græy wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:51 am
I like Uchtdorf's positive "don't quit" message. "Our choices reveal more about us than our abilities."

Those are some simple ideas I wish my kids could absorb a bit more of.

+10
I'm not watching conference,but isn't that basically the Dumbledore quote?"

"It is our choices that show us what we truly are, far more that our abilities?" --Dumbledore (author: JK Rowling)

I hope someone calls out the first TBM who posts that atttributing it to Uchtdorf in a cutesy meme.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:24 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:11 am
The Hobbit and the BoM have one thing in common....
An epic journey? A quest for gold? The first of more writings? Enshrinement in the Fantasy Writers Hall of Fame?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Random

Post by Random » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:45 pm

SincereInquirer wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:15 am
It is money donated by the members ON TOP OF TITHING. The LD$ Church doesn't give their money away...they give members money away and act like it was theirs and they did it, then sock the rest away in investments.
Boom!
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:01 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:24 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:11 am
The Hobbit and the BoM have one thing in common....
An epic journey? A quest for gold? The first of more writings? Enshrinement in the Fantasy Writers Hall of Fame?
Lol :D The precious is the cult - it is made out to be god.
Deception, distraction, discouragement... it has good but is deceptive in making the evil out to look like gold, distracting from the real kingdom of God, and shame and discouragement if you find truth that conflicts with the cultish god.