NOMference Fall 2019 Sunday Afternoon

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Re: NOMference Fall 2019 Sunday Afternoon

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:01 pm

SincereInquirer wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:59 pm
MoPag wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:56 pm
blazerb wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:53 pm
Thank you, MoPag! This has made it all a little more bearable.
You are so welcome! And thanks Gray for picking up my slack!
Now time to total the points...I am especially interested to know how bad it was for Oaks at the Women's session yesterday. I think it may be a NOMference record score...
Yeah the wife got home last night and said “Even more people will hate Elder Oaks now...”
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:02 pm

I guess the door to relaxing the WoW and garment use is effectively shut.

With the April 2020 conference announcement it sounds like it will run the risk of being a JS worshiping session.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:04 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
What changed with the recommend questions?
I didn't notice anything of substance. Just slight rewordings, possibly mashing up two questions into one, but overall identical to the questions before.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:05 pm

Depending on which version of the FV you are reading, next year might not be the right year to commemorate the bicentennial.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

græy

Post by græy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:10 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:52 pm
SincereInquirer wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:49 pm
Russell, I vote for the 200th anniversary you tell us exactly which First Vision account is the real one.
Except it's not a bicentennial year...that's not until 2030, but Russ can't pass up the glory and knows he'll be dead in another 10 years, so let's move it up!
This. 2020 will be the centennial of the first vision. But we don't know which version. Also, maybe it wasn't until 1824. Or maybe never.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:13 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:01 pm
SincereInquirer wrote:
MoPag wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:56 pm

You are so welcome! And thanks Gray for picking up my slack!
Now time to total the points...I am especially interested to know how bad it was for Oaks at the Women's session yesterday. I think it may be a NOMference record score...
Yeah the wife got home last night and said “Even more people will hate Elder Oaks now...”
I don't know if you perused the thread, but there were some epic negative scores. I thoroughly enjoyed the thread, and the fact I didn't even have to listen to it since DW and DD's were outside of our home watching it.
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:14 pm

græy wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:10 pm
lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:52 pm
SincereInquirer wrote:
Russell, I vote for the 200th anniversary you tell us exactly which First Vision account is the real one.
Except it's not a bicentennial year...that's not until 2030, but Russ can't pass up the glory and knows he'll be dead in another 10 years, so let's move it up!
This. 2020 will be the centennial of the first vision. But we don't know which version. Also, maybe it wasn't until 1824. Or maybe never.
I'll take "or maybe never" for $1000 Alex...
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:18 pm

The way RMN is going on about the big to-do set for April and the other stuff in his talk, I'm thinking this guy is on a huge ego trip. Maybe it's his delivery more than the content.

This just doesn't sound like the steady old guys of the past, like Hinkley. There's something really weird going on here.

I'm going to make a prediction.

I think someone or something is going to happen in the near future that's going to really embarrass the majority of the church and many of the GAs and there will be some serious doubt in the corporation that the church is on the right track or is possibly going off the rails.

There, I said it.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:21 pm

nibbler wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:02 pm
... it sounds like it will run the risk of being a JS worshiping session.
...like usual. If it isn't that it's a idolizations of the current prophet.

I think the reason Oaks is so publicly anti-gay is that he is worried about somebody else taking his spot in his bromance with Rusty.

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:22 pm

nibbler wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:02 pm
I guess the door to relaxing the WoW and garment use is effectively shut.
I don't think this really ever has any chance of happening.

No matter how much their focus groups tell them they should change on these points, I think they are so intertwined with the levels of control that those acts promote that they know they can't ever change them.

Also, don't you remember that God never changes doctrines like these? :lol:

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:18 pm
The way RMN is going on about the big to-do set for April and the other stuff in his talk, I'm thinking this guy is on a huge ego trip. Maybe it's his delivery more than the content.

This just doesn't sound like the steady old guys of the past, like Hinkley. There's something really weird going on here.

I think someone or something is going to happen in the near future that's going to really embarrass the majority of the church and many of the GAs and there will be some serious doubt in the corporation that the church is on the right track or is possibly going off the rails.

There, I said it.
We can only hope.

I would love it if they knew that someone got access to the First Presidency vault and was about to unload a bunch of historical evidence that had been squirreled away and that blows up the entire narrative.

Sending my thoughts and prayers that something like this happens...

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:33 pm

Palerider wrote:
Well, I just read some comments on the other board and they are thrilled about the changes and think we are going to possibly be called to Missouri for the next conference :roll:

Here's a sample of their comments:
I'm also super curious what will be happening at April conference. He said it will be unlike anything else. President Nelson sure does know how to get us excited and curious!
I think it was interesting that he essentially raised the bar for temple recommend worthiness just prior to that announcement.
President Nelson—very exciting...call to Missouri in April?
Many more reference to the Second Coming of the Lord than I remember
for a long time.
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:37 pm

I do have to wonder if the leaders love to toy with the members and then just sit back and laugh a bit at how easily riled up and fooled they are ;)

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:48 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:37 pm
I do have to wonder if the leaders love to toy with the members and then just sit back and laugh a bit at how easily riled up and fooled they are ;)

They get members excited for apocalyptic events then patronizingly tell them not to expect anything that soon.

For a long time, I was sure that the Q15 were true believers. Then, I learned about "default to truth" theory. Basically, humans are wired to believe what another person tells us unless we have strong reasons not to. All those years that I believed those men, now I wonder if they were just playing us. It would not surprise me.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:49 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:37 pm

Joseph Smith hologram talk straight from the pulpit? 2 Pac will be joining him showcasing his spiritual wives, his sporty G’s, and Jell-O shots!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:26 pm

I had to work, and when I was home I tried to be good and not comment, but my thanks Mopag and graey for putting all of this together. It kept my sanity when I had to listen to nonsense, of which there was copious amounts.

So even if people can't comment, these posts are wonderful - sneaking off to the bathroom to update NOMference will cost me my job one day. :lol:
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:01 pm

I enjoyed you all giving the play by play - I am fortunate that my wife does not make me watch, but it's fun to see the updates on here and interesting to see what went over poorly and the (few) things that went over well.

Now for the next week or two everyone will have their GenCon glow and it will fade as the changes take effect that didn't really change much of anything at all.

Anyway - thanks to those who suffered for us and gave the fun commentary! :D

Random

Post by Random » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:27 pm

I am 100% convinced he does not know.
SincereInquirer wrote:
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:34 pm

Palerider wrote:
The way RMN is going on about the big to-do set for April
I noticed several comments here about April's gen conf. What did Nelson say about it?

There, I said it.
I honestly would not be surprised if this happened - but I'm not so sure the 15 would be aware of it, because they are so cloistered and surrounded by yes-men (and maybe a few yes-women). For them to be aware of it, it would have to be pretty dang big.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

sparky

Post by sparky » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:56 pm

Random wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:34 pm
Palerider wrote:
The way RMN is going on about the big to-do set for April
I noticed several comments here about April's gen conf. What did Nelson say about it?
Basically he said since it's the bicentennial of the PoGP version of the first vision, April conference will be super duper special, "unlike any you've ever experienced." No details, sure to rev up the rumor mill. Boy I can't wait!