Oaks and the Utah Supreme Court

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Oaks and the Utah Supreme Court

Post by 2bizE » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:39 pm

I’m losing my faith in the Utah Supreme Court. Let me explain. To think that someone as biased, racist, sexist, and hate filled as Oaks could ever be a Supreme Court justice completely leaves me perplexed. Utah is so much better not to have Oaks on the Supreme Court. Can you imaging is rulings today? I can’t. To think that someone like him could rise to a position of civil power causes me to think that others could do the same thing. Do we have anyone like Oaks currently serving on the Utah Supreme Court?
~2bizE

Just This Guy

Re: Oaks and the Utah Supreme Court

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:44 am

I do not follow Utah politics, but I will offer a few observations.

A position like a judge tends to temper their personal views to a good degree. With law, everything you do has to be based on established laws and case histories. Plus you have various levels of over sight and other checks and balances.

A state supreme court Justice can't rule strictly based on their personal beliefs. They must be able to document and defend their position. The Federal level courts can and will overrule them if they get out of line. Plus the judges themselves are subject to voter removal if they get out of hand. On top of that, they also have to report to the Bar Association which can revoke their ability to practice law if the need arose.* That's not to say that a person's personal bias won't creap in, but it take a lot of work and is usually kept in check.

As a sitting judge, Oaks would have had to manage his bias. However, since retiring and going to church employment, he now no longer has any of the same checks and balances to hold him back. It is likely he was more moderate when employed, but without the contraints, he had moved more and more extreme over the years.

So I would consider DHO's time as a judge to be separate from his time in the church. Have you looked at his actual time as judge and what does his ruling history look like? Did he actually act with bias as a judge?

* In the case of the Martinsburg, WV abuse case, one judge got a major centure for allowing the some of the stuff from LDSInc. to go through. Came close to loosing his job.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

alas

Post by alas » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:15 am

2bizE wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:39 pm
I’m losing my faith in the Utah Supreme Court. Let me explain. To think that someone as biased, racist, sexist, and hate filled as Oaks could ever be a Supreme Court justice completely leaves me perplexed. Utah is so much better not to have Oaks on the Supreme Court. Can you imaging is rulings today? I can’t. To think that someone like him could rise to a position of civil power causes me to think that others could do the same thing. Do we have anyone like Oaks currently serving on the Utah Supreme Court?
I don’t know, we just got two very biased judges on the USSC and some people are hoping that they rule according to those biases rather than on previous court rulings.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:58 am

alas wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:15 am
2bizE wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:39 pm
I don’t know, we just got two very biased judges on the USSC and some people are hoping that they rule according to those biases rather than on previous court rulings.
Those judges were chosen for that express purpose. I'm pretty sure they are aware of that also.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:36 am

It’s hard to know what would have happened had Oaks stayed as a civilian vs becoming a GA.

I imagine the church weighed this out when calling him to church leadership. But then again, it seems any Mormon who finds themselves in a position of power would still automatically be bound to the church agenda based solely on temple covenants.

Romney would have been an interesting experiment in 2012.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:16 am

If Oaks is an example of what God is, then he is also a reason for not wanting to go where God dwells.