New Year's Indoctrination

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
græy

New Year's Indoctrination

Post by græy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:55 am

This morning in bishopric the topic of new Come Follow Me manuals was brought up. No one uses printed copies so only a limited number were ordered for our ward. Bishopric asked EQ if we would plan to ID a few of the more "receptive" less active families and plan to visit them to drop off a copy of the manual.

Sorry, this is a busy season and I have better things to do than try to force feed BoM propaganda to people who don't want it. These visits just won't be happening.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Newme

Re: New Year's Indoctrination

Post by Newme » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:29 am

I’d also probably just forget the forced dogma. Maybe just drop off a note to say hi with a small gift, saying you’re their neighbor and wanted to wish them a Merry Christmas?

Then invite them to NOM - “every member a missionary”! ;)

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:55 pm

The church always has a success story about some "receptive" family that came back to church because someone cared.

What they don't realize is the damage done by bugging the other twenty families who just wanted to be left alone and now their entrenchment is even deeper.

It's beyond the members' ability to imagine that someone might not see their good intentions as harmless as they do. So just keep on beating that dead horse. You never know......
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:34 am

Palerider wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:55 pm
The church always has a success story about some "receptive" family that came back to church because someone cared.
The thing that most people miss is that they came back because someone cared. That meaned they were friends stuck through them forthe long haul to reactiveate them, showing them they were valued.

Most TBMs think that a ring-and-run plate of cookies and an occasion card is showing that you care. It isn't. Mormons think they should get the results without the effort.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:29 am

Palerider wrote:

What they don't realize is the damage done by bugging the other twenty families who just wanted to be left alone and now their entrenchment is even deeper.

It's beyond the members' ability to imagine that someone might not see their good intentions as harmless as they do. So just keep on beating that dead horse. You never know......
Yep. And frankly, it doesn't really matter to me if anyone in the ward cares about me. Caring about me doesn't change the fact that the Church was founded by a sexual predator, that the Book of Abraham is an obvious hoax, that the Brethren clearly aren't receiving revelation from God, etc. and etc.

I never went to Church because anybody cared about me. I went because I thought it was what it claimed to be. When I found out it isn't, that's all that mattered, the number of people in the ward who care about me is completely irrelevant.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:22 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:29 am

Yep. And frankly, it doesn't really matter to me if anyone in the ward cares about me. Caring about me doesn't change the fact that the Church was founded by a sexual predator, that the Book of Abraham is an obvious hoax, that the Brethren clearly aren't receiving revelation from God, etc. and etc.

I never went to Church because anybody cared about me. I went because I thought it was what it claimed to be. When I found out it isn't, that's all that mattered, the number of people in the ward who care about me is completely irrelevant.
This is exactly it.

alas

Post by alas » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:54 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:34 am
Palerider wrote:
The thing that most people miss is that they came back because someone cared. That meaned they were friends stuck through them forthe long haul to reactiveate them, showing them they were valued.

Most TBMs think that a ring-and-run plate of cookies and an occasion card is showing that you care. It isn't. Mormons think they should get the results without the effort.
Or like my sister in law with her assigned friend. Her and her husband were believing but inactive. They had a baby on the way when they got married, so obviously no temple marriage, and went inactive because of the stigma of not getting married in the temple. So, assigned friends worked with them for about a year, and they were sealed. The next freaking day, my SIL goes over to her “friend’s” house, and the assigned friend tells her that now they have been sealed, that her assignment is finished and she doesn’t want to be friends. Right to her face, this a**hat says that she was assigned to reactivate her and get them sealed in the temple, and now that was accomplished she could go find other friends. Well, my SIL and her hubby wasted no time going inactive again. What was sad was that SIL had to be drunk to share the pain of that story, even 20 years after the fact.

Yes, some people can be activated, but please please don’t fake it.