Weirdness of the LDS faithful

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Mackman

Weirdness of the LDS faithful

Post by Mackman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Does anyone like me grow tired of all the weird stuff in our church ? I am referring to stuff like Temple worship, underwear, masonic rituals etc etc cant we just be like most evangelicals ???? Too much weirdness that you are not told about as an investigator.

Red Ryder

Re: Weirdness of the LDS faithful

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:20 pm

Keep Mormonism Weird!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:39 pm

You don't want to go down the evangelical road. Crazy music. Electric guitars. Sappy lyrics in their songs. Hands waving and jumping up and down.....mostly crazy money grubbing preachers.

HmmMmm.... don't go there.....

The real Peter, James and John would look at that and say, "What the heck happened!" :shock:

But yeah, Mormonism? Totally off kilter. Money grubbing with a touch of solemnity and faux righteousness. But still money grubbing.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:37 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:20 pm
Keep Mormonism Weird!
Mormonism was more interesting when it was more weird. But, it feels like the current leadership trend is to turn it into a Protestant denomination yet still retain the "One True Church" status somehow.

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:55 pm

Mackman wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:06 pm
Does anyone like me grow tired of all the weird stuff in our church ? I am referring to stuff like Temple worship, underwear, masonic rituals etc etc cant we just be like most evangelicals ???? Too much weirdness that you are not told about as an investigator.
Mormonism is weird on the outside. Evangelicalism is weird on the inside. So literal in their view of things, the Bible says this. That church (other evangelical church) interprets the Bible wrong...

Put me with a group of TBM Mormons, way before staunch Evangelicals.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:27 am

Palerider wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:39 pm
You don't want to go down the evangelical road. Crazy music. Electric guitars. Sappy lyrics in their songs. Hands waving and jumping up and down.....mostly crazy money grubbing preachers.

HmmMmm.... don't go there.....

The real Peter, James and John would look at that and say, "What the heck happened!" :shock:

But yeah, Mormonism? Totally off kilter. Money grubbing with a touch of solemnity and faux righteousness. But still money grubbing.
Totally agree with Palerider here. I don't mind weird, unless part of your definition of weird is something like, "harmful." Silly underwear? So what? Shame me for not wearing your silly underwear? Then shame on them. And don't get me started on the money grabbing of la Iglesia Mormon, or some evangelical churches. I'm no longer a believer in any deity, but I think I've know an honest, kind minister or two. I think they were the salt of the earth, we're-all-better-off-because-of-their-existence types. I wonder if the money grabbers, the shame throwers, the predators among clergy hinder the honest, kind clergy's ability to help those in need.

But yeah, Mormonism ≅ Weird.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:25 am

Corsair wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:37 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:20 pm
Keep Mormonism Weird!
Mormonism was more interesting when it was more weird. But, it feels like the current leadership trend is to turn it into a Protestant denomination yet still retain the "One True Church" status somehow.
Yes! The weirder the better!! :D
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Bring back road shows...and Hee Haw, too.
~2bizE

Tacenda

Post by Tacenda » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:50 am

I'm old enough to remember all the fun weirdness. Cake walks, cupcake sales, and many more. Back in the day when my mom and the rest of the RS ladies tried to earn money to put in their account because they had their own budget they could do what they wanted in helping their fellowman. They also had their own magazine, if I recall, and the PH wasn't over them, And roadshows, that weren't spiritual at all! What's happened?!? Now it's to the point that the wards I've been in lately, or in the last 2 or 4 years, have gotten to the point that it's like a to-do thing. But other wards elsewhere do some fun things I'm sure. Just not in mine lately. But I've been inactive for a bit. But do notice any announcements, and they're few and far between for the RS.
Last edited by Tacenda on Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hmb

Post by hmb » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:57 pm

I also remember the fun stuff. Christmas ward dinners with Santa, Wednesday night MIA that was both fun and churchy, ice skating, bowling, mini golf, roadshows, dances, etc. I don't know if it was fun because I was a youth/kid or if it was more fun. As an adult working in YW, we didn't do fun outings any longer. Well, the girls didn't. The boys had scouts; now they don't even have that. Not sure what they have. I haven't been involved for quite awhile now.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:18 am

When I experienced the temple ceremonies for the first time, I was surprised and glad that I had something new and unusual to think about, in contrast to the usual repetitive lessons and things. It was fascinating, but also kind of disappointing to eventually discover many of the pieces that they are built out of.

Many traditions and cultural elements are pretty weird if you think about them enough, religious or otherwise. The things that actually strike us as weird are often simply those that differ from the mainstream. (By definition, I guess.)

Random

Post by Random » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:28 pm

Continuing with the thoughts of the past, I remember
road shows
ward movie nights (complete with a concession stand)
stake movie nights (ditto the concession stand)
Dime-a-Dip dinners
Bazaars
Stake plays
Gold-n-Green Ball (I only remember one; my older sister went to it, and I think that's the last year they did it.)
Volleyball matches
Softball (for girls of mutual age)
A young women's sleepover at the stake center*
Firesides (where anyone could invite anyone to speak)
Relief Society Magazine
My mom telling me how she had to pay to join RS when she was a kid (apparently, it was a club; didn't cost much to join)
My mom telling me about the dances they had at the church and/or school when she was a kid (the whole family was invited)

*The stake center was where the sports, movies, and plays happened. We had stake conferences in the assembly hall on temple square.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:35 am

We are a peculiar people. Fist bump.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:51 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:35 am
The more peculiar the better?

Unless potential converts think we're too peculiar. Straddle that line, brothers and sisters.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:06 am

Random wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:28 pm
Continuing with the thoughts of the past, I remember
road shows
ward movie nights (complete with a concession stand)
stake movie nights (ditto the concession stand)
Dime-a-Dip dinners
Bazaars
Stake plays
Gold-n-Green Ball (I only remember one; my older sister went to it, and I think that's the last year they did it.)
Volleyball matches
Softball (for girls of mutual age)
A young women's sleepover at the stake center*
Firesides (where anyone could invite anyone to speak)
Relief Society Magazine
My mom telling me how she had to pay to join RS when she was a kid (apparently, it was a club; didn't cost much to join)
My mom telling me about the dances they had at the church and/or school when she was a kid (the whole family was invited)

*The stake center was where the sports, movies, and plays happened. We had stake conferences in the assembly hall on temple square.
I don't ever recall the dime-a-dip dinners. Please explain.
~2bizE

Random

Post by Random » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:19 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:06 am
I don't ever recall the dime-a-dip dinners. Please explain.
It was a fund raiser dinner. You got one serving of whatever was offered for a dime each, so if you wanted one scoop of potatoes, one roll, and one serving of salad, it would cost 30 cents. If you wanted two scoops of potatoes, you paid an extra dime. There would be a person on the opposite side of the table(s) doing the serving.

I don't remember what was actually on the menu (the above is just an example of the principle of the dinners), but I do remember that the food was good, and that you were not required to have a serving of everything on the tables in front of you.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:40 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:35 am
Or: Keep MORmONism Weird!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

iwanttotalk

Post by iwanttotalk » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:48 pm

Mackman wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Weirndness is a secondary effect of the propaganda. As they seek to impliment in their own lives the precepts, which are antithetical to healthy development, they become strange.

Tacenda

Post by Tacenda » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:25 pm

Does anyone have a ward that does talent shows or hawaiian luau's, or skits for their ward Christmas parties? My last ward in the last few years have been only spiritual events, but I have fond memories of my older wards that did all the fun things I mentioned.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:07 pm

Tacenda wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:25 pm
Does anyone have a ward that does talent shows or hawaiian luau's, or skits for their ward Christmas parties? My last ward in the last few years have been only spiritual events, but I have fond memories of my older wards that did all the fun things I mentioned.
We had Polynesian dancers last year. It was great.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."