Just Be Kind for a Month

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Just Be Kind for a Month

Post by Linked » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:52 pm

We had an all woman Sacrament Meeting yesterday, well except for the sacrament and conducting and presiding. I thought it was cool. Both prayers and all the talks were women.

Unfortunately, speaker #1 gave a cringey talk about a woman who had been married to a non-member for 12 years. This woman really wanted her husband to get baptized. She got some advice from a friend that she should be patient and kind. A month later she reported back to her friend that she felt like she had been patient for the 12 years, but maybe not so kind. So she tried extra hard to be kind for that month. And guess what?! He got baptized!

Ugh. First, being around screaming children requires patience, if you need similar patience for the spiritual beliefs of your spouse, I think that's an issue. Second, you could flip this story around on a message board like this if it went the other way and the talk would not be nearly so uplifting; "I was patient and kind with my TBM spouse and eventually they came around and now we are enjoying comfortable underwear and second Saturdays together! Our family life has never been better." Third, there is something gross about really wanting someone to be baptized mormon. Fourth, one month of being kind?! Are you kidding? Mixed faith marriages are long and hard and why can't we talk about how to come together with each other as we are?

Anyway, that was a fun talk. On a happier note I was released yesterday from my calling in Primary. I'm a free agent now!
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

jfro18

Re: Just Be Kind for a Month

Post by jfro18 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:50 pm

There's nothing better than a faith promoting anecdote to try and gloss over the mountains of evidence against the church's truth claims. :roll:

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:40 pm

I would hope the goal is always kindness and patience for our spouse. Could you imagine someone getting up, “i decided to be a dick for a month to my husband/wife to see what would happen...”

I do agree it is weird to think about things from the other side of the coin.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:07 pm

"I was patient and kind with my TBM spouse and eventually they came around and now we are enjoying comfortable underwear and second Saturdays together! Our family life has never been better."
:lol: :lol: :lol: This is great. Can you see the look in the eyes of TBM listeners as an ex-Mo recounts this story....... too funny.

Congratulation on being released from your calling! Another burden that's been lifted. Enjoy the extra amount of added freedom. 8-) - Wndr.