Tithing and fast offerings in kind....a lesson from sunday school

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
lostinmiddlemormonism

Tithing and fast offerings in kind....a lesson from sunday school

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:22 pm

Recently in sunday school charity and helping the poor and homeless was a topic of discussion. One of the common threads in that discussion was that many members were not comfortable giving money to these individuals for fear that they would misuse it. Multiple times people made comments that these individuals might simply use the money for alcohol or drugs and so it would be better to offer to take them to a restaurant and buy them a meal or some other type of tangible as opposed to simply handing over money.

I got to thinking....with the recent revelation that the cburch has more than $100.000,000,000.00 in its rainy day fund and that 100's of primary children die each week around the world from hunger and starvation, that perhaps the time has come to start paying tithing and fast offerings in kind again. In other words, here you go bishop, here are 10 frozen turkeys for my tithing this week. Do with them as you will.

One thing we can be certain of is that they likely won't end up in a vault in Salt Lake.

-lost

blazerb

Re: Tithing and fast offerings in kind....a lesson from sunday school

Post by blazerb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 pm

Does the church accept any offerings in kind? If not, it is probably because they want to avoid the problems you are suggesting.

Evil_Bert

Re: Tithing and fast offerings in kind....a lesson from sunday school

Post by Evil_Bert » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:40 pm

The church accepts donations in kind of sticks and bonds. I knew someone that paid tithing that way. You could probably donate land also.

They won't take your turkeys unless you are giving Butterball stick certificates.
Illegitimi non carborundum.