Changes For Temple Ceremonial Clothing Announced

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
AllieOop

Changes For Temple Ceremonial Clothing Announced

Post by AllieOop » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:28 am

Here's the link:

https://www.thechurchnews.com/temples/2 ... PhnVohGpT0

If you have a temple recommend, you can log in to your account in the online store (on lds.org) and view the new clothing. If anyone is willing to return and report, it would be interesting to know what changes have been made (be respectful of course....).

Thanks!

Edited to add:
Here's the link to the online store (then you have to log in to your account). Apparently, I can still order garments, but I can't view the ceremonial clothing since I no longer have a current recommend.

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/usa/en

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Corsair

Re: Changes For Temple Ceremonial Clothing Announced

Post by Corsair » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:54 am

The website appears to be down at https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/usa/en, probably based on a stampede to get the new outfits. I have a niece going to the temple for the first time tomorrow and I wonder what she will be getting.

I still have a current temple recommend for increasingly hilarious reasons. I will let you know what comes up when the site comes back online. Based on the wording in the press release, I expect the new outfits to be more exciting than ministering, but less exciting than two hour church.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:09 am

It's been so long since I've gone, but I assume this new video has the new temple clothes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMutZrefILc

It was just released today which would of course be meant to line up with the announcement?

Can anyone tell what the differences are?

edit: here is description of changes:

Some of these adjustments include:

A simpler design for the veil and robe.

Removing the plastic insert from the cap and the tie from the cap and veil.

Using a more durable material that is the same for the robes, cap, and sash, which helps them last longer and makes them easier to care for.

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:13 am

Corsair wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:54 am
The website appears to be down at https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/usa/en, probably based on a stampede to get the new outfits. I have a niece going to the temple for the first time tomorrow and I wonder what she will be getting.

I still have a current temple recommend for increasingly hilarious reasons. I will let you know what comes up when the site comes back online. Based on the wording in the press release, I expect the new outfits to be more exciting than ministering, but less exciting than two hour church.
Ha! Exactly....

I'm betting there will be changes to the guy's baker cap :lol:

I've read that the website is REALLY slow right now (or just down). I'm sure many are trying to look at the changes. Thanks for letting us know when you do get in!

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:46 pm

Not bad. Might be a little stuffy if the AC isn’t set to the right temperature.

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:56 pm

The use of the word “adjustments” and the staunch clarification that said adjustments do not change he sacred ordinances really annoys me.

Why not just get rid of garments OUTSIDE of the temple? Then Claim it’s an adjustment and doesn’t change the ordinance as it remains the same INSIDE the temple.

Here, I added about ten words to their press release for them! See how easy it is?
We are pleased to announce adjustments to the sacred garment clothing worn daily and now recommend members wear them only in the temple,” the First Presidency wrote in the letter. “These clothing adjustments do not change temple doctrine or symbolism but are designed to enhance members’ experience in the temple and remove the daily garments requirement. Members will find it easier to put on when they wear them only in the temple. …

“We express our gratitude for members’ faithful efforts to worship in the temple. We know that regular attendance will bring increased joy and happiness.”
One more thought.

I haven’t been to the temple but once or twice in the last 8 years. If I were to go back today I wouldn’t recognize it.

New movies I never saw now replaced with a power point presentation, less standing up and sitting down, and now new clothes?

Keep the “adjustments” coming until all humans can enter and worship in the temple without a card, witness weddings of their children, and become closer to God without having to promise all that they have and will ever have to the building up of the kingdom to the real estate Gods! And for the love of God and all things natural, can we see Adam and Eve in their true nakedness?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:35 pm

I read through the FAQ and saw that you can not alter the old version other than the men may remove the cap string.
5. Can I alter my existing ceremonial clothing to reflect the adjustments?

The only approved alteration to existing clothing is for men to remove the string from the cap. Other alterations are not approved. For more information, visit a Distribution Services store and ask a store clerk or go to store.ChurchofJesusChrist.org/ceremonialclothing and log in with your Church Account.
So the question is: why was the string there in the first place if these adjustments don’t alter anything? I remember having discussions with family members where everyone tried to explain the symbolism of it. One such explanation was the string represented the conduit between God and intellect.

Now it turns out it was never necessary?

Flushed down the memory hole!

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:43 pm

The temple clothing site has not updated the pictures yet and this is what is displayed for the hat. I assume that it will be just this exciting when it comes out. It's all gray, faceless minions modelling the temple outfits and I'm sure that this temple symbolism is unintentionally unintentional.

græy

Post by græy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:40 pm

I got the email this afternoon and my pulse started racing as I contemplated the temple recommend questions and wondered if perhaps garments would become a temple-only thing.

I am disappointed.
Corsair wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:54 am
I expect the new outfits to be more exciting than ministering, but less exciting than two hour church.
:D Perfect description! No more stupid had string, YAY! That is all. I wasn't planning to go back any time in the foreseeable future anyway.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:20 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:13 am
Changing to a unisex chef's hat would help give the participants a heavenly Escoffier look.

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:16 pm

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:25 pm

No more string to tie the baker's hat to the toga?

How on earth are the dudes gonna keep their Holy Togas™ from slipping off of their shoulder during the stand-up-sit-down fake Mason dance???

The Horror! :shock:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:42 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:09 am
Removing the plastic insert from the cap and the tie from the cap and veil.
So the hats are going to be all droopy?
jfro18 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:09 am
Using a more durable material that is the same for the robes, cap, and sash, which helps them last longer and makes them easier to care for.
Granted I'm not a weekly temple-goer but has anyone out there had issues with the temple robes wearing out? Ironically I'm more likely to buy new robes due to changes in the temple ordinance than I am to buy new robes because they wore out on me.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:01 pm

These appear from the statement to be the most minor of changes, and there's no indication that you need to buy replacements.

I am just not sure why they released an official statement and blast email for something like this... and they did it on the same day they released a video about temple clothes/garments. Odd.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:10 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:20 pm
AllieOop wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:13 am
Changing to a unisex chef's hat would help give the participants a heavenly Escoffier look.

Ah, this reminds me of my own endowment. A rat jumped into my hat and started pulling on my hair, making me give the correct signs and tokens.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:14 am

nibbler wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:42 pm
Granted I'm not a weekly temple-goer but has anyone out there had issues with the temple robes wearing out? Ironically I'm more likely to buy new robes due to changes in the temple ordinance than I am to buy new robes because they wore out on me.
:lol: :lol:

Okay so it looks like we ladies still have those stupid bow ties
newclothez!!.png
newclothez!!.png (28.59 KiB) Viewed 71556 times
Also WTF are the advertising that robe as biodegradable? Who f-ing cares if it's biodegradable? Is this there way of appealing to Millennials and Gen Z?

Okay nvm I actually opened it up and apparently for burial in some places all clothing has to be biodegradable. Learned something new today.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:55 am

Thanks for all the laughs from this topic! Rats jumping up on Escoffier Swedish chef hats, biodegradable cloth, new shiny armor of Camelot.

I was always frustrated by the lack of solid explanation of all the little funky quirky things with the clothing. I mean, other than the apron, the rest of it was just silliness and nobody could offer a good consistent explanation. I remember how staunch some of those old timers were about where the string was tied and not letting the robe droop off, etc. So annoying, so meaningless, so glad I don't have to wear that silliness anymore!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:43 am

So now that the pictures are out.. is it really much different? I have not been in a while, but it seems like the robes are maybe a tiny bit simpler?

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:17 pm

This thread is hilarious.
And RR, thank you for the much needed LOL moment in my day.
Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:16 pm

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:21 am

MoPag wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:14 am
nibbler wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:42 pm
:lol: :lol:

Okay so it looks like we ladies still have those stupid bow ties
newclothez!!.png

Also WTF are the advertising that robe as biodegradable? Who f-ing cares if it's biodegradable? Is this there way of appealing to Millennials and Gen Z?

Okay nvm I actually opened it up and apparently for burial in some places all clothing has to be biodegradable. Learned something new today.
I'm not calling you out. In fact, I probably identifying with you more than anything.

I've simply noticed that frequently when it seems there's something odd about something - there's usually a reason for it.