Multi-Cultural "Unique" Choir

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Multi-Cultural "Unique" Choir

Post by moksha » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:29 pm

The Church is seeking out applicants for a "unique" multi-cultural choir to perform during April 2020 General Conference. According to Church spokesmen Beauregard P. White, "The visuals of a choir that looks more American mainstream might be worth a try as a one time "unique" thing". He added, "We are hoping this does not anger the most conservative members of the Church".

https://www.thechurchnews.com/members/2 ... 020-172061

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Re: Multi-Cultural "Unique" Choir

Post by Palerider » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:54 pm

And here is another problem with LDS leadership.

The very fact that they consider a multi-cultural group a "unique" occurance is telling.

If the church were functioning as it should (if it were true) there would be nothing unique about having a cross-cultural demographic in the majority of Mormon wards. It would be common place.

What would truly be unique would be an appearance of the three nephites returning the gold plates and unsealing the other two thirds for translation.

Russy get your rock and fedora!
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

alas

Post by alas » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:24 am

They want nonmembers to come sing so the church can LOOK multicultural? Isn’t that kind of faking a more multicultural look than really exists? Isn’t that faking it? Talk about a repeat of the “I’m a Mormon” campaign where they took non typical Mormon to make the church LOOK more diverse and even liberal than it really is. But this is even more fake than selecting the weird Mormons because they are reaching out to non Mormons.

Sorry Mormon church, if you want to look like anything but vanilla you got to attract people who are chocolate. You want to look like Baskin Robins with 31 flavors, then you gotta stop pounding every member into vanilla. You don’t want everyone looking the same, maybe you should allow people to be what they want. But you want to project to the world that you attract diversity, while stomping out diversity in your members.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for the Mormon church reaching out to the broader community, and big community choirs work as long as it isn’t an effort to convert, or an effort to promote one religion over the others. But somehow, I just can’t imagine the Mormons not using this as a conversion tool, and their motives don’t sound like friendships between different religions or promote more understanding between religions. This sounds like we want to impress people by looking more multicultural than we really are and we’ll use it to convert people so we can make them conform to our set of vanilla standards.

One of the problems in other nations and cultures when the church gets a small congregation is that Utah culture is then forced on the people. They have to sing Utah style hymns, they have to dress in Utah style clothing, adopt Utah politics, and all the things that are Mormon culture but not doctrine. It just doesn’t work well. Instead of taking education to the Navaho people, they took Navaho children out of their homes and culture and taught them that white man culture is better. Read Kiwi Mormons old blogs where she talks about leaders forcing Utah culture on the Kiwi. If the Mormon church wants diversity, they gotta stop stamping it out.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:17 am

They are not asking for nonmembers if you read carefully the article and the application. Which of course makes the multicultural thing more challenging. They'll need all 5 black singers to apply :lol:

Do you think they'll ask Gladys Knight to front the choir?
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

alas

Post by alas » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:35 am

DPRoberts wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:17 am
They are not asking for nonmembers if you read carefully the article and the application. Which of course makes the multicultural thing more challenging. They'll need all 5 black singers to apply :lol:

Do you think they'll ask Gladys Knight to front the choir?
Oh, my mistake on the idea of recruiting nonmembers. Sorry about that. I guess converting is not a goal.

But this still makes it exactly like the “I”m a Mormon” campaign. They want to create an image of much more diversity than actually exists. Still a fake picture of Mormonism.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:06 pm

I just realized I’ve lost my culture. I’m not sure what it is now. Can someone help me find it? It seems to have been correlated away.
~2bizE