I’m Catholic now.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
misterfake371

I’m Catholic now.

Post by misterfake371 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:12 am

I just told everyone in my life that I’m Catholic. I wrote about my conversion on my blog, Reasons to Stay LDS (even though you don’t believe in the Church anymore.)

https://reasonstostaylds.blogspot.com/2 ... c.html?m=1
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13

Corsair

Re: I’m Catholic now.

Post by Corsair » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:25 pm

What is the appeal of Roman Catholicism over the Orthodox faiths? I'm not saying you are wrong, I have done a lot or reading of Christian history and the tension between these faith groups since 1054 is complicated. Was there any interest in other high church faiths?

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:33 pm

Congrats MR Fake bless you and may you be at peace. Please PM me I am interested myself in Catholic religion.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:04 pm

Congratulations on this decision... and the pope seems like a pretty good guy that even offers apologies.
I wonder what it would be like to become a member of different religions for a year or two, with each?
~2bizE

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:11 pm

Cool. Congratulations.

Hope you find meaning in your worship. I don’t think I could. I did look over your blog post, sounds like it was a good journey for you. Just don’t post it on the NOM of Catholics website ;)
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:06 pm

Interesting. There are thi gs I like about the tradition, ritual, and high liturgy there. I took my family to Christmas mass. It was a good change from our regular COJCOLDS attendance.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:18 am

Congrats on finding a new faith path!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:08 pm

Congrats!

So to clarify, like a Christmas and Easter catholic; aka a Chreaster?

You’ll have to check out Jim Gaffigan’s comedy routine about Catholics. It’s hilarious.

“I don’t read the Bible! I don’t have to, because I’m catholic.”

“Fish on fridays...!!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

misterfake371

Post by misterfake371 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:12 pm

Corsair wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:25 pm
What is the appeal of Roman Catholicism over the Orthodox faiths? I'm not saying you are wrong, I have done a lot or reading of Christian history and the tension between these faith groups since 1054 is complicated. Was there any interest in other high church faiths?
The Roman Catholic Church is closer to my house, first of all. I've met lots of Roman Catholics in my life, but never any of the Orthodox Catholics. I never looked into the schismatic Catholic Churches much. But I do know that the Roman Catholic Church has the power and organization to hold church councils, whereas the Orthodox churches don't. And I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtFXBDllso4. and it was convincing.
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:55 pm

Seems you have reached critical Mass. ;) Congratulations on your faith journey.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:46 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:55 pm
Seems you have reached critical Mass. ;) Congratulations on your faith journey.
:lol:

Seconded! I like the current pope quite a bit, too.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:18 am

Congratulations on finding something that works for you.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph