Dear Spouseman love your mother

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Thoughtful

Dear Spouseman love your mother

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:38 pm

Dear S-----
Please bring the blessings of the gospel back into your life. You and your family need the gospel and to keep the covenant path. Please follow the prophet and read the BOM daily with your family.

Love, Your Mother.

Corsair

Re: Dear Spouseman love your mother

Post by Corsair » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:09 pm

Are you going to respond with a recommendation to read "Letter to My Wife", or will you simply ignore this? While they may be no limit to parental love, there are increasing limits to parental authority.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:43 am

Not doing the Mormon things: terrible, will ruin your life.

Rampant sexual abuse: ehh, at least the family is still Mormon.

Straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:10 am

This is like the stuff my wife gets basically telling her that while I may have forgotten or ignored the covenants I made, she had better not.

If it were me I'd reply with "I'll study the BoM with you if you'll study the research I've done that's led me to know it's a fictional story created by Jospeh Smith."

But I'm at a point where I feel more comfortable standing up for myself with church stuff, and I know how terrified my in-laws are of actually talking about this stuff so it will never happen to me anyway.

I feel for you guys - what a horrible message to get.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:38 am

Reuben wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:43 am

Yep. This from a woman who grooms victims for her son. What a lovely woman. I did notice that the untaxed stipend from FILs last calling has really updated her wardrobe and vehicles.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:39 am

Corsair wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:09 pm
Are you going to respond with a recommendation to read "Letter to My Wife", or will you simply ignore this? While they may be no limit to parental love, there are increasing limits to parental authority.
MY suggested response doesn't fit the community standards of this forum to share.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:41 am

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:10 am
This is like the stuff my wife gets basically telling her that while I may have forgotten or ignored the covenants I made, she had better not.

If it were me I'd reply with "I'll study the BoM with you if you'll study the research I've done that's led me to know it's a fictional story created by Jospeh Smith."

But I'm at a point where I feel more comfortable standing up for myself with church stuff, and I know how terrified my in-laws are of actually talking about this stuff so it will never happen to me anyway.

I feel for you guys - what a horrible message to get.
Spouseman is the only one who hasn't resigned. This is absolutely a call to get his family back in line.

Thanks for the kind words.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:51 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:39 am
Corsair wrote:
MY suggested response doesn't fit the community standards of this forum to share.
Based on this description, I think I can imagine the "Scorched Earth and Potty Mouth" response you had in mind. Maybe you could just hint at the Tarantino movie that best fits your projected response.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:54 am

Corsair wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:51 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Corsair wrote:
Based on this description, I think I can imagine the "Scorched Earth and Potty Mouth" response you had in mind. Maybe you could just hint at the Tarantino movie that best fits your projected response.
I missed Tarantino because I was raised in a cult.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:22 am

Corsair wrote:
Thoughtful wrote:
Corsair wrote:

:D You are SO bad..... :twisted:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:25 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:54 am
Corsair wrote:
Thoughtful wrote:

In that particular case you didn't miss much. The work of a supposedly full grown man whose emotional growth stopped at 14..... :roll:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:38 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:38 pm
Dear S-----
Please bring the blessings of the gospel back into your life. You and your family need the gospel and to keep the covenant path. Please follow the prophet and read the BOM daily with your family.

Love, Your Mother.
Dear Mom,

A couple of quotes:

“Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
Martin Luther King

"It is impossible for a man (or woman) to learn what he thinks he already knows."
Epictetus, Greek philosopher, AD55-135

George Washington

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:57 am

Palerider wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:38 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:38 pm
Dear S-----

Love, Your Mother.
Dear Mom,

A couple of quotes:

“Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
Martin Luther King

"It is impossible for a man (or woman) to learn what he thinks he already knows."
Epictetus, Greek philosopher, AD55-135
These are great!

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:54 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:38 am
Reuben wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:43 am

Yep. This from a woman who grooms victims for her son. What a lovely woman. I did notice that the untaxed stipend from FILs last calling has really updated her wardrobe and vehicles.
Wait, what?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:52 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Corsair wrote:
Thoughtful wrote:

I suspect that your suggestion aligns with Helen Mirren's advice to her younger self.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:18 pm

DPRoberts wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:52 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Corsair wrote:

I suspect that your suggestion aligns with Helen Mirren's advice to her younger self.
Oh no, that's much too kind. Mine involves barbed wire.

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:05 pm

Wow, I can't imagine how much that must piss you off, Thoughtful. It's getting to me and I'm not involved. You are a saint for the restraint you must have to exercise.

The hypocrisy there is unbelievable.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:39 pm

I'm sure you're glad to have this place to vent about how frustrating this BS is. I think you are very wise to show restraint - I haven't received a email like this from my narcissist Mom in several months because I refuse to engage. I think she's just given up, and I have peace. It's entirely worth it.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:17 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:39 pm
I'm sure you're glad to have this place to vent about how frustrating this BS is. I think you are very wise to show restraint - I haven't received a email like this from my narcissist Mom in several months because I refuse to engage. I think she's just given up, and I have peace. It's entirely worth it.
I have zero contact with her. Spouseman gets the occasional text or letter about how awful I am, or how he needs to get me back in line, or how we should convince the DA to lower his brother's bail, etc. About every 2-3 weeks she gets bored and stirs something up.

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:23 pm

Dear Egg Donor,
At least we’re not going to Hell.

Matthew 18:6 - But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and [that] he were drowned in the depth of the sea.