The final curtain falls

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

The final curtain falls

Post by Hagoth » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Well, yesterday was my last time seeing the inside of the House of God (what does Fluffy call it? International House of Handshakes?). Some mixed emotions.

My biggest concern was that I would meet up with Mrs. Hagoth in the Celestial room and she would be in tears. No such thing. She said she briefly entertained the idea of asking me to finger-cross my way through one more recommend cycle but said "I understand why you can't." Then she asked "how can they call it the true order of prayer if they made women veil their faces for a hundred years and then just suddenly stopped without explanation? Was that part of the true order not true?" Great question. It's fascinating how different things make impressions on different people.

Anyway, my recommend is sputtering its last fumes (expires the end of the month) and that will be the end of that. Time for underwear shopping?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Re: The final curtain falls

Post by wtfluff » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:59 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:15 pm
Well, yesterday was my last time seeing the inside of the House of God (what does Fluffy call it? International House of Handshakes?). Some mixed emotions.
My current favorite reference is the Polygamy Palace™.

Congrats on your last visit. You can always go visit he open houses when they build new palaces, there's also the open houses after the remodels also.

If you really think you'll miss the Masonic schtuff, build yourself an altar and hearken back to the early days of LD$-Inc. and do some MORmON-Masonic LARP-ing with the wife at home. :roll:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:08 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:59 pm
If you really think you'll miss the Masonic schtuff...
No chance of that. My mixed emotions have entirely to do with not wanting my wife to feel abandoned in any way.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:53 am

I remember a few years ago when I realized that I had likely gone through a temple ordinance for the last time. Soon after, I read on the Internet that they had switched out the video presentations. I was curious about that, but I guess not curious enough to attempt to renew my recommend.

I've had leaders and family members ask me about my recommend status from time to time, and as far as I know the impression I've been giving is simply that I haven't been motivated to bother with it. Where in reality if I wanted to keep up appearances in that way I'd probably have a trouble getting through the first few interview questions. (And it's also true that I don't feel like bothering with it.)

Even now, while I don't have a desire to go through the ordinances, I'm conscious of having lost an aspect of a community that I still belong to to some degree.

It's also been a while since I've had one of those bizarre alternate version of the temple dreams.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:56 am

I don't remember my last temple visit.

Does that fact have any larger meaning or significance? I remember the last time I hiked up the mountain in back of my house. We boarder on Federal forest land. I love the quiet intimacy of the woods.

We're currently in Southern Arizona for the winter. I miss my mountain. I never miss the temple....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:24 am

Hagoth wrote:

My biggest concern was that I would meet up with Mrs. Hagoth in the Celestial room and she would be in tears. No such thing. She said she briefly entertained the idea of asking me to finger-cross my way through one more recommend cycle but said "I understand why you can't." Then she asked "how can they call it the true order of prayer if they made women veil their faces for a hundred years and then just suddenly stopped without explanation? Was that part of the true order not true?" Great question. It's fascinating how different things make impressions on different people.

Anyway, my recommend is sputtering its last fumes (expires the end of the month) and that will be the end of that.
Oh wow Hagoth, I certainly understand your feelings.

I vividly remember walking out of the celestial room and knowing it would be my last time. I did have mixed emotions. I also remember the last time I took my garments off, knowing I would never put them on again. They were both weirdly emotional moments for me.

I've held on to my last recommend (it's in a small, plastic bag with my husband's last one too). I mainly hold onto it because it has my membership # on it.

I think your wife's attitude is admirable and so respectful of your feelings. You're a lucky man!
Hagoth wrote:
Time for underwear shopping?
I hope you have as much fun doing this as I did (and still do) :lol:

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:45 pm

Hagoth wrote:
She said she briefly entertained the idea of asking me to finger-cross my way through one more recommend cycle but said "I understand why you can't."
I know you already get this, but I just gotta make the observation that you've got a keeper there in Mrs. Hagoth. Well played on her part. What a woman!

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:49 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:56 am
I miss my mountain. I never miss the temple....
That really says a lot. And, I think I feel kind of like you do about the mountains. Just one of life's little reminders of how little we are, but in a way that makes me feel like part of the bigger whole.

slk

Post by slk » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:50 pm

If TBM kids are all married, I'm not sure why anyone would want to hang onto the TRs. Agree that TBM spouse can complicate things.

Also I've always thought that they could just streamline the whole interview thing by asking the most important question. In reality I think they care more about tithing than anything else.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:17 pm

slk wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:50 pm
If TBM kids are all married, I'm not sure why anyone would want to hang onto the TRs. Agree that TBM spouse can complicate things.

Also I've always thought that they could just streamline the whole interview thing by asking the most important question. In reality I think they care more about tithing than anything else.
Oh no......streamlining would make it blatantly obvious.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:28 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:08 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:59 pm
If you really think you'll miss the Masonic schtuff...
No chance of that. My mixed emotions have entirely to do with not wanting my wife to feel abandoned in any way.
So beautiful.

I agree with your wife about the veil thing. I left before that happened, but I still have strange mixed emotions when I hear about them cutting back (admittedly in small ways) sexist practices of the past. It was so engrained in me that God had a reason for treating women like crap, er, separately, er, "in a way that honored their unique purposes" that it's hard to imagine how it would feel to see the things that everyone justified for so long just getting silently walked back. Where's the apology for all the damage this did to women and how this impacted them? Oh, that's right. #noapologies

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:05 pm

glass shelf wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:28 pm
It was so engrained in me that God had a reason for treating women like crap, er, separately, er, "in a way that honored their unique purposes.."
Some like the term "equally yolked," but I've never seen a vertical oxen yolk where one ox is always above the other.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:34 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:05 pm
glass shelf wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:28 pm
It was so engrained in me that God had a reason for treating women like crap, er, separately, er, "in a way that honored their unique purposes.."
Some like the term "equally yolked," but I've never seen a vertical oxen yolk where one ox is always above the other.
haha Double decker oxen. :lol:

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:46 pm

My last impression of the temple was this:

What a big, fat yawner.

My favorite thing about not going is not being subjected to such awful boredom. A close second is not pledging my life to the church.

My wife understands, too, and I'm sure it makes her sad sometimes. That would be the church's fault, not mine.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:20 pm

Give that woman a giant hug for all of us!

The Costco brand of men’s boxer briefs are extremely comfortable. It is a little weird to wear the same brand of underwear as your protein shakes but comfort is comfort!

The best thing about not having a TR is not feeling guilty for not going enough. It totally takes that nagging feeling of not doing enough away. Suddenly you can focus on things that matter versus attending the same religious ritual over and over and over again.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:15 am

Duluth Trading Co. Buck Naked Boxer Briefs. (Available in varying lengths) Now these, are truly magical underwear. 😂

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:37 am

Hermey wrote:Duluth Trading Co. Buck Naked Boxer Briefs. (Available in varying lengths) Now these, are truly magical underwear. Image
Yes they are, and I would also throw in ExOfficio give-n-go boxer briefs as another excellent choice.

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:43 pm

MeUndies and Saxx are also good underwear. And if you want an undershirt that isn't garments I have really liked the Mr Davis shirts, they are a bamboo rayon and spandex blend, comfy with some stretch.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:16 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:20 pm
It is a little weird to wear the same brand of underwear as your protein shakes but comfort is comfort!
Not if you think of the undies as a protein storage device.

græy

Post by græy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:02 pm

I can absolutely see and empathize with the mix of emotions this would trigger. I have been pretty vocal with my DW about my... ambivalence about the temple. To me, it mostly feels like a waste of time. I went with her 6 or 8 months ago, and I won't initiate a return trip any time soon. That said, I know it means a lot to her when we go together.
Hagoth wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:16 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:20 pm
It is a little weird to wear the same brand of underwear as your protein shakes but comfort is comfort!
Not if you think of the undies as a protein storage device.
Mind. Blown.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack