What does your avatar mean?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Re: What does your avatar mean?

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:41 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:25 pm
On their adventures to bury Rubin’s dead cat in the Hanksville Badlands, Rubin comes to realize he is the king of the Echo People.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Zmmsbvs4dWA
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:45 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:41 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
On their adventures to bury Rubin’s dead cat in the Hanksville Badlands, Rubin comes to realize he is the king of the Echo People.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Zmmsbvs4dWA
You nailed it bird man!
My cat can eat a whole watermelon!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:22 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102817/

Ruben Farr, a character from the movie Rubin and Ed by local Salt Lake City artist, Trent Harris. Trent is known for his whacky off-beat films that weave in strange threads from Mormon culture and history. Before Napoleon Dynamite, there was Rubin and Ed. It's filmed at several of my favorite places in Utah: Goblin Valley, Factory Butte, Pineview Reservoir and downtown SLC. There’s also a motel downtown Ogden, one I’ve driven past hundreds of times, growing up in the S. Ogden area. I also think this movie Crispin Glover’s best work as an actor.

http://echocave.net/films.html

On their adventures to bury Rubin’s dead cat in the in the Hanksville Badlands, Rubin comes to realize he is the king of the Echo People. In my adventures in the deserts of Utah and exploring the strangeness of my own subconsciousness, I’ve come to a place in my postmo life where “I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space.” (Hamlet).

Anyway, Ruben and Ed is a lot of fun; I can even see the office where I work in one of the SLC scenes. You can pickup a copy of Ruben and Ed on DVD from Ken’s Rare Books in downtown SLC and I highly recommend a visit to that awesome bookstore!

Funny side story: Last year I was at Factory Butte with some photography friends. We stopped near a wash to check out a little slot canyon. There were a group of people walking out of that wash and it looked like a film crew. I saw one of the guys had a hubcap in his hand and it had cloth ties on both sides of it. I asked them if they found the cave of the Echo People. To which Trent Harris replied “You must bet a Rubin and Ed fan.” We found out they were filming a series of short videos to tag onto the Ruben and Ed movie. What where the chances of that happening for a movie filmed there 28 years ago?
I found the first 15 minutes of Rubin and Ed on YouTube, pretty good stuff! I couldn't find a place to stream it legally though.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:22 pm

Linked wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:22 pm
I found the first 15 minutes of Rubin and Ed on YouTube, pretty good stuff! I couldn't find a place to stream it legally though.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1psdVe ... e1WwLb4IBz
;)
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:27 am

My avatar is my cartoonish attempt to show how LDS apologists imagine Lamanites.

My username is the same one I used on the FARMS website when I was a believer. It accompanied through my faith transition.

Also, I build boats.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:40 pm

I play the saxophone and I like jazz and blues, and Steely Dan (the band) My daughter drew the picture, which doesn’t look much like me. I’m old and wrinkly.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:19 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:40 pm
I play the saxophone and I like jazz and blues, and Steely Dan (the band) My daughter drew the picture, which doesn’t look much like me. I’m old and wrinkly.
Dude! Steely Dan is so brilliant! If ya ever want to really hear it, take a "trip" out to Wendover (I just made an assumption you live behind the Zion curtain) eat an edible or toke some good flower. On songs I've heard hundreds of times in the past I've heard awesome little nuanced things in there I never noticed before. So good!
--Douglas Adams

Random

Post by Random » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:31 pm

I chose my current avatar because it looks like a cross between a crystal ball and an ice crystal. I choose my avatars for their beauty to me, not for any particular statement.

Then there were the Halloween unveilings (posting a real picture of yourself), but I forgot about them for the last couple of years.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

hmb

Post by hmb » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:38 am

Hmmm. Coming up empty here :lol: .

Random

Post by Random » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:21 am

hmb wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:38 am
Hmmm. Coming up empty here :lol: .
:lol: :lol:
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:54 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102817/

Ruben Farr, a character from the movie Rubin and Ed by local Salt Lake City artist, Trent Harris. Trent is known for his whacky off-beat films that weave in strange threads from Mormon culture and history. Before Napoleon Dynamite, there was Rubin and Ed. It's filmed at several of my favorite places in Utah: Goblin Valley, Factory Butte, Pineview Reservoir and downtown SLC. There’s also a motel downtown Ogden, one I’ve driven past hundreds of times, growing up in the S. Ogden area. I also think this movie Crispin Glover’s best work as an actor.

http://echocave.net/films.html

On their adventures to bury Rubin’s dead cat in the in the Hanksville Badlands, Rubin comes to realize he is the king of the Echo People. In my adventures in the deserts of Utah and exploring the strangeness of my own subconsciousness, I’ve come to a place in my postmo life where “I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space.” (Hamlet).

Anyway, Ruben and Ed is a lot of fun; I can even see the office where I work in one of the SLC scenes. You can pickup a copy of Ruben and Ed on DVD from Ken’s Rare Books in downtown SLC and I highly recommend a visit to that awesome bookstore!

Funny side story: Last year I was at Factory Butte with some photography friends. We stopped near a wash to check out a little slot canyon. There were a group of people walking out of that wash and it looked like a film crew. I saw one of the guys had a hubcap in his hand and it had cloth ties on both sides of it. I asked them if they found the cave of the Echo People. To which Trent Harris replied “You must bet a Rubin and Ed fan.” We found out they were filming a series of short videos to tag onto the Ruben and Ed movie. What where the chances of that happening for a movie filmed there 28 years ago?
Have you ever danced with your cat while listening to Mahler?
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:06 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:54 am
Have you ever danced with your cat while listening to Mahler?
LMAO! Have not experienced that one yet NBI, not even with a squeaky toy. Kind of reminds me of that line from the Joker in the Keaton Batman: "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeOHFwpOS-c

Never rub another man's rhubarb and keep your hands out of other people's refrigerators!
--Douglas Adams

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:16 am

Just me when I had more hair and my dog was a pup. Still in the Church, no kids, no money (but no overhead), a motorcycle, warm hot tub. Life was good.

I probably need to update my avatar with an updated photo. I am happy still, but more real, with a lot more experience.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:33 pm

:Malcolm" in the Middle (of a Mormon enmeshed system) and "Villager" from the movie "The Village" which represents the part of me that understands the Mormon community and the hope it represents for an impossible utopia.

I would probably pick something else if I could today, but it has been surprisingly prophetic as my now 6 year Faith Journey is still stuck in basically the same place. Still go to church nearly every week. Still hold a TR (but I never go), still have a calling (primary teacher with DW) and most in my ward and family would never really know, although some suspect changes in me.

I hate living a life for someone else. The threat of pain of change and confrontation is still greater than the discomfort of listening to TBM's proclaim their knowledge of eternally unknowable things or teaching verifiably false myths.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:48 pm

I was so scared to sign up for NOM! I chose a user name that that does not describe me well and that morning I’d seen a heron on a walk, so I chose an image of a bird and hoped that everything was random enough to disguise my true identity.

I don’t want to publish my name and address, but I don’t really care that much anymore, and I even recognized someone on here from my old ward. I must have done a good job disguising myself because that person was very surprised!

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:42 am

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:45 pm
Mine is Charlie from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia when he had just had enough of his friends screwing with his play.

I'm not sure it's directly related, although I often feel that way reading people who try to tell me that the facts and evidence don't matter yet refuse to actually look at or discuss them... so I suppose it's quite relatable in that way.
Day-man! Ahhahaha!
dayman!.png
dayman!.png (132.52 KiB) Viewed 10850 times
Always Sunny is so great.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:27 pm

This is my username in a lot of subs including reddit. It is a play of my real name. Not interested anymore in hiding my identity, but I have posted enough about friends and family on this site that I would not want them to read it and get feelings hurt.

My avatar is a self-motivating statement. Every now and then I get drug through some kind of drama because my TBM family pull me back in, so I have to keep up the mantra to remind myself to "let it go".