SaveBYU - was I a religious Nazi when I was there too?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Jeffret

Re: SaveBYU - was I a religious Nazi when I was there too?

Post by Jeffret » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:49 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:22 am
Allie, here’s what I think happened.

The wordsmith department, known for their extremely important work writing the carefully worded denials found in the essays, had decided to tone down the honor code rhetoric by eliminating “homosexual behavior” from the new manual and honor code.

Approvals were granted and everyone went on with their day not realizing that this simple 2 word omission would expose them.

Then a crafty professor (who rumor says has a gay daughter?) exploits the window of opportunity and posts a video explaining the new found progress awarded to our gay friends.
Mostly, but a few details are off. It wasn't just a two word change. It was an entire section. Two full paragraphs.

The video helped clarify it to some people, but LGBT students were on top of the change as soon as it occurred. They visited the HCO immediately and started responding. The professor didn't post the video publicly. Someone took it and trimmed a little bit off and reposted it.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:40 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:22 am
Allie, here’s what I think happened.

The wordsmith department, known for their extremely important work writing the carefully worded denials found in the essays, had decided to tone down the honor code rhetoric by eliminating “homosexual behavior” from the new manual and honor code.

Approvals were granted and everyone went on with their day not realizing that this simple 2 word omission would expose them.

Then a crafty professor (who rumor says has a gay daughter?) exploits the window of opportunity and posts a video explaining the new found progress awarded to our gay friends.

Everyone panics and says “wait, we didn’t mean gays could hold hands.... you’re misunderstanding!” Then the polarity ensues and suddenly a giant hub bub has occurred in Provo even before the Prophet and Apostles have woke up, got their sponge bath, and stepped into their once piece garmmies!

Nelson yells out “call a press conference” which they do before consulting their PR firm who then suggests just letting it blow over because nobody cares about BYU other than they just beat the Zags and celebrated in the locker room by splashing Desani water all over each other.

Now they are stuck and heads will roll.

I’m not a prophet but I bet that BYU professor is going to be terminated soon!
I've wondered if he will see repercussions....I guess we will see!

He did not post the video (I think it was a student who did) and I have read that he has been instructed not to promote or share it.

It seems there is a lot of confusion over this and some damage control taking place. Here's a recording of a phone call to the Honor Code Office at BYU-I:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbOimg0 ... e=youtu.be

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:11 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:40 pm

He did not post the video (I think it was a student who did) and I have read that he has been instructed not to promote or share it.

It seems there is a lot of confusion over this and some damage control taking place. Here's a recording of a phone call to the Honor Code Office at BYU-I:

That guy was great! “I don’t know? Nephi went to the house of Laban not knowing.... I have a sister that’s a lesbian! We’re not BYU Provo...”
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:42 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Here's a recording of a phone call to the Honor Code Office at BYU-I:

'Please encourage them to give me a call and set up and appointment so that they can sit in my office...' Yeah right Sherlock, they had someone else call you because THEY DON"T TRUST YOU! You also just admitted that "I don't know", so what good is talking to you going to accomplish?

SMDH

-lost

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:14 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:11 pm
AllieOop wrote:

That guy was great! “I don’t know? Nephi went to the house of Laban not knowing.... I have a sister that’s a lesbian! We’re not BYU Provo...”
I'm listening to that and I'm thinking "Wait, did he just use the scripture from Nephi where he's going into the city, not knowing before hand that god was going to make him chop off Laban's head?!" Bad reference dude, bad reference! "We just don't know right now, so like....OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!"
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Brent

Post by Brent » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:51 pm

The removal of wording in the Honor Code is easy to understand:

World: "Why ya'll so hard on gays and stuff?"

Church: "We aren't. Not even a mention of it in the Honor Code....never has been..."

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:51 am

Corsair wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:25 am

This is the Randy Bott incident come again, but this time it's a liberal professor speaking openly instead of a conservative professor.
Except that Randy Bott got thrown under the bus for teaching the institutionalized racism the Church had taught him for years then later decided was bad PR. This professor is teaching things the Church never taught him.

The teachings Randy Bott publicly promulgated were offensive and disgusting - but I was also offended and disgusted at the way the Church threw him under the bus like he hadn't got his ideas directly from Church leaders.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph