SaveBYU - was I a religious Nazi when I was there too?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Not Buying It

SaveBYU - was I a religious Nazi when I was there too?

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:50 am

Just when I get comfortable that most people are the Church are misguided but reasonable I come across something like this:

https://www.savebyu.com/

We, the students of Brigham Young University have created this website to fight back against the rise of apostasy in the BYU Community. The University has recently begun to forsake it’s mission in the building of Zion, and forfeit it’s integrity by cowering to the worldly teachings of sexual immorality. If the University won’t be brave—we will. It’s time to fight back, and we are not backing down until we take back our University.

God will not be mocked.
Wickedness never was bravery.
It’s time to take back God’s school.
I find the level of mindless religious zealotry here pretty horrifying. Between this and #DezNat I am beginning to suspect there are more members living in Crazyland than I realized.

Scary thing is, if I am honest, I am not sure - would I have been one of these SaveBYUers when I was there?
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Palerider

Re: SaveBYU - was I a religious Nazi when I was there too?

Post by Palerider » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:13 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:50 am

We, the students of Brigham Young University have created this website to fight back against the rise of apostasy in the BYU Community.
I can't answer your question regarding how you might have been as a BYU student but I have to say the quote above gives me great hope that many are seeing the fallacies in the church. "The rise of apostacy" is a sign that young people are using their brains! That in and of itself should worry church leadership as much as which students are maintaining their virtue....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:16 am

When I see this stuff I realize just how vast the grey scale is.

The purest fundamentalists will die on their sword no matter what incremental changes occur. These type of people don’t see the harm their rhetoric causes. They think they are modern day Warriors called to defend morality.

Or is this more than that and just reflecting today’s “cancel culture”?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

græy

Post by græy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:23 am

Any chance this is satire? Half the website is broken links and filler text.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:25 am

This is hilarious.
Brigham Young University was founded to provide, “an environment enlightened by living prophets and sustained by those moral virtues which characterize the life and teachings of the Son of God.” For 145 years each class has passed onto the next an institution which lives up to these ideals.

However, recently, cracks in the school’s moral integrity have begun to show. Certain staff members, including professors, have openly rebelled against clear and direct teachings of church doctrine. They advocate postmodern gender theory which directly contradicts the eternal plan of progression; as evidenced by Heavenly Father and Mother.

They have urged students to rebel against the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles by advocating for same sex marriage and homosexual activity. They put forward a philosophical groundwork which justifies transgression leads to sin and rejection of God’s teaching from the beginning.

They have urged the breaking of Temple covenants, and an atheistic [permissive] re-invention of scripture. They have dog whistled apostasy and have openly declared such. They have lead movements masquerading as reformers of a pernicious Honor Code, when in reality — planting seeds of Apostasy for the Church to change it’s eternal doctrine on marriage.

They have infiltrated the Maxwell Institute and halted the progress of apologetics and defense of the Church, while replacing it with theologically offensive smut inarguably contrary to the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

These staff members and students have sought to hurt the testimonies of the student body, weaken faith, and urge on a movement that will mark BYU as a flagship of Mormon apostasy.

Enough is enough.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:29 am

græy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:23 am
Any chance this is satire? Half the website is broken links and filler text.
Nope - check out the Twitter account:

https://mobile.twitter.com/savebyu_
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Brent

Post by Brent » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:37 am

I'm impressed that SquareSpace caught this so quickly and removed it. There's an archived copy of the page somewhere but the fact the link is broken and the content gone buoys my heart.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:33 pm

So, let me get this straight...
On the far left, there are apostates that do not want any kind of progressive changes, and RMN has been making lots of changes that could be perceived as progressive.
On the far right are people who want progressive changes, and are apostates because they do not agree with out dated policies and doctrine.
Both are considered apostates by the middle, and opposite side, but not by themselves.
~2bizE

græy

Post by græy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:39 pm

LOL @ twitter posts, or whatever they're called.
@BrettRydalch:
You honestly feel like Christ would do this? Do you feel Jesus Christ endorsed your approach? I’m legit curious.

@savebyu_:
He destroyed Zarahemla and drowned the city of Moroni. Yes he would do this, just 10x more
What we’ve done & what we’re going to do is not even slightly as harsh as what Jesus would do!
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:22 pm

græy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:39 pm
LOL @ twitter posts, or whatever they're called.
@BrettRydalch:
You honestly feel like Christ would do this? Do you feel Jesus Christ endorsed your approach? I’m legit curious.

@savebyu_:
He destroyed Zarahemla and drowned the city of Moroni. Yes he would do this, just 10x more
What we’ve done & what we’re going to do is not even slightly as harsh as what Jesus would do!
If I were Jesus, I’d be pissed that Joseph Smith made it sound like I burned, buried, and drowned children and babies in Zarahemla and Moroni. The fact that members don’t find that part of the Book of Mormon troubling I find troubling.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:26 pm

The obvious question is how many people support this coalition to keep BYU pure? I'm guessing just one scrupulosity-ridden neurotic who has worn a path into his dorm room carpet from pacing back and forth every night worrying about how many ways he has offended God today. He needs help.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:42 pm

Ahh the #DezNat crew on Twitter.

They are a lovely bunch... you should read the stuff they write to try and make all of this true and real. It's insane.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:02 pm

On the far left, there are apostates that do not want any kind of progressive changes, and RMN has been making lots of changes that could be perceived as progressive.
On the far right are people who want progressive changes, and are apostates because they do not agree with out dated policies and doctrine.
I know there is an LDS tendency to make up new definitions for common words and ideas. Unless that is happening here, I think you mixed up far left and far right.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Brent

Post by Brent » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:49 am

Things to remember about SaveBYU.

Limited posts (five if you're generous). Most recent May last year.

The thing is dead. Poking it could wake it up. Let the dead sleep.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:43 am

Brent wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:37 am
I'm impressed that SquareSpace caught this so quickly and removed it. There's an archived copy of the page somewhere but the fact the link is broken and the content gone buoys my heart.
I don’t understand who square space is. I don’t agree with the SaveBYU people, but blocking their posts seems like unjustified censorship to me.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:30 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Just when I get comfortable that most people are the Church are misguided but reasonable I come across something like this:

https://www.savebyu.com/
This site has been created now to counter it:

https://www.savebyu.org/
We, the students of Brigham Young University, have created this website to fight back against the rise of self righteousness in the BYU Community as seen on SaveBYU.Com.
Some students have recently begun to forsake its mission in the building of Zion, and forfeit its integrity by cowering to the self righteous ideas of a few who believe that they are in fact more important than the other children of God due to their heterosexual, cisgender identity.
The Truth is this.
It does not matter if you are Gay, Straight, Transgender, Bisexual, Black, White, Brown, Purple, Male, Female, Young, Old, Rich, or Poor. We are all children of God and are given equally the privilege live our lives and choose our happiness for ourselves.
How you choose to live your life is up you and only you.
“Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.”
So we say be brave — we will.
It’s time to fight back, and we are not backing down until we take back our University.
God will not be mocked……
But your website sure will!
Here is more from this website:
https://www.savebyu.org/read-me

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:55 am

This is getting to be really funny! Like, what if Provo is getting trrolled? What if Save BYU dot Com was set up by an exmo to reflect just how stupid this is? Only to be taken serious because this is exactly how stupid they are. Then, not getting the satire, someone else comes along and counters it with dot Org!

This is stuff only the RRussians come up with to sow discord and evil at the expense of the silly church and poor white kids in Provo who are grossed out by men holding hands and snuggling!

The battle of SaveBYU: dot Com’s vs dot Org’s!

Who saw this happening?

I didn’t! :lol: :lol:

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:11 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:55 am
This is getting to be really funny! Like, what if Provo is getting trrolled? What if Save BYU dot Com was set up by an exmo to reflect just how stupid this is? Only to be taken serious because this is exactly how stupid they are. Then, not getting the satire, someone else comes along and counters it with dot Org!

This is stuff only the RRussians come up with to sow discord and evil at the expense of the silly church and poor white kids in Provo who are grossed out by men holding hands and snuggling!

The battle of SaveBYU: dot Com’s vs dot Org’s!

Who saw this happening?

I didn’t! :lol: :lol:
I agree....this is getting to be pretty crazy.

I think there is a great deal of disagreement and confusion behind the scenes too. The Honor Code Office announced a news conference/public meeting for this morning and then cancelled it:
https://universe.byu.edu/2020/02/24/hon ... ambiguous/

Some insiders are reporting that Oaks and other hard liners are VERY unhappy with how this is playing out (allowing open dating, hand holding, hugging and kissing between gay students).

If this hasn't been posted, here is a video that was made by a BYU professor (Dr. Brau) announcing the change to his class (met by applause at one point and he also states he's been praying for these changes for years)...it's great to watch and only about 10 minutes long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4gTHBP ... =emb_title

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:22 am

Allie, here’s what I think happened.

The wordsmith department, known for their extremely important work writing the carefully worded denials found in the essays, had decided to tone down the honor code rhetoric by eliminating “homosexual behavior” from the new manual and honor code.

Approvals were granted and everyone went on with their day not realizing that this simple 2 word omission would expose them.

Then a crafty professor (who rumor says has a gay daughter?) exploits the window of opportunity and posts a video explaining the new found progress awarded to our gay friends.

Everyone panics and says “wait, we didn’t mean gays could hold hands.... you’re misunderstanding!” Then the polarity ensues and suddenly a giant hub bub has occurred in Provo even before the Prophet and Apostles have woke up, got their sponge bath, and stepped into their once piece garmmies!

Nelson yells out “call a press conference” which they do before consulting their PR firm who then suggests just letting it blow over because nobody cares about BYU other than they just beat the Zags and celebrated in the locker room by splashing Desani water all over each other.

Now they are stuck and heads will roll.

I’m not a prophet but I bet that BYU professor is going to be terminated soon!

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:25 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Whom do they think "owns" God's school? Perhaps the Board of Regents could speak publicly about this change of policy. That would be the apostles who have nothing publicly on this specific change. What do you think that Dallin Oaks would say about this?
Red Ryder wrote:
“It's a pity both sides can't lose”

- Henry Kissinger
(commenting on the Iran-Iraq war, 1980 – 1988)
Red Ryder wrote:
I’m not a prophet but I bet that BYU professor is going to be terminated soon!
This is the Randy Bott incident come again, but this time it's a liberal professor speaking openly instead of a conservative professor.