Headache Remedies and Mormons

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Headache Remedies and Mormons

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:53 pm

How have Mormons handled headache remedies such as aspirin that have caffeine as an added ingredient?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Re: Headache Remedies and Mormons

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:02 am

They go shopping on Sunday?

DW was at our local grocery store last Sunday and there were no less than five former friend active ward members in their Sunday best, loading up their carts. They all acted quite sheepishly as my DW went out of her way to go up and talk to them with a smile, her cart full of beer and hard lemonade for a lovely sabbath dinner with the kids. Really made her day.

Here's the thing about most TBMs; they are perfectly justified taking medications that are prescribed or over the counter. Utah is one of top offenders for pharma abuse. Most humans find ways to find relief, regardless of their level of indoctrination. In the case of TBMs, it's just mental gymnastics to minimize the guilt.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:06 am

My wife has a headache almost every night. I suggested her garments are too tight and that if she takes them off her headaches would go away.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I ran into a ward lady at the store with beer in her cart. She had to explain it was for her brother who was visiting but not a member and that she normally didn’t buy beer for him but that he had asked her to last minute. I just responded back with “next time call me and I’ll run to the store for you!”
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:10 pm

When I was on my mission I used to recommend Excedrin to help people kick the coffee habit, because it was an easy source of "medicinal" caffeine. Of course, then you just ended up with people addicted to Excedrin.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

alas

Post by alas » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:40 pm

I have known people who refused to take any aspirin that contained caffeine. On the other hand, I have known Mormons who thought nothing of taking no-doze when studying for a test or driving long distance. They looked down on their roommates who drank coffee for the all night study sessions, but thought nothing of popping a handful of pills. So, that is all over the map, just like some people thought nothing of coke and other beverages with caffeine, as long as it wasn’t in tea or coffee.

But everything with the WoW is all over the map. I know some who wouldn’t use vanilla extract because it contained alcohol. But then my TBM daughter in law makes her own vanilla by soaking the vanilla beans in 90 proof stuff. I could taste the burn of the alcohol In her cake icing worse than in a margarita, but she is TBM. OtherTBMs cook with wine because all the alcohol cooks out. And my TBM friends had no problem with my rum balls, even though I warned them the rum does not cook out. Rum apparently is fine to eat in cake or candy even when there is no cooking the rum out of the rum sauce poured over cake.

I know Mormons who drink green tea because their doctor tells them to, and others who use green tea extract because it is not proper to drink it. Pills are fine. Food is fine.

I laughed at the oriental buffet where the obvious Mormons in Sunday dress were eating the coffee flavored cake, made of course with instant coffee to stronger than I drink coffee. I think the cake is gag worthy because I don’t like the taste of coffee. But they obviously do and it is legal as long as you don’t drink it.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:26 pm

alas wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:40 pm
Rum apparently is fine to eat in cake or candy even when there is no cooking the rum out of the rum sauce poured over cake.
Bless the refreshments to nurishon and strengthenon! :D
My wife has a headache almost every night. I suggested her garments are too tight and that if she takes them off her headaches would go away.
:lol: To which I'm guessing you got something of a if looks could kill response? :evil:
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:10 pm

All medications in any form with any ingredients is good for the body...WoW verse 34.
For some tbm women, a headache is the only acceptable form of birth control....but no headache can match the power of DoTerra essential oils.
~2bizE

Ho Lee Turtle

Post by Ho Lee Turtle » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:05 pm

alas wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:40 pm
I have known people who refused to take any aspirin that contained caffeine. On the other hand, I have known Mormons who thought nothing of taking no-doze when studying for a test or driving long distance. They looked down on their roommates who drank coffee for the all night study sessions, but thought nothing of popping a handful of pills. So, that is all over the map, just like some people thought nothing of coke and other beverages with caffeine, as long as it wasn’t in tea or coffee.

But everything with the WoW is all over the map. I know some who wouldn’t use vanilla extract because it contained alcohol. But then my TBM daughter in law makes her own vanilla by soaking the vanilla beans in 90 proof stuff. I could taste the burn of the alcohol In her cake icing worse than in a margarita, but she is TBM. OtherTBMs cook with wine because all the alcohol cooks out. And my TBM friends had no problem with my rum balls, even though I warned them the rum does not cook out. Rum apparently is fine to eat in cake or candy even when there is no cooking the rum out of the rum sauce poured over cake.

I know Mormons who drink green tea because their doctor tells them to, and others who use green tea extract because it is not proper to drink it. Pills are fine. Food is fine.

I laughed at the oriental buffet where the obvious Mormons in Sunday dress were eating the coffee flavored cake, made of course with instant coffee to stronger than I drink coffee. I think the cake is gag worthy because I don’t like the taste of coffee. But they obviously do and it is legal as long as you don’t drink it.
I heard a quote from a story about when David O. McKay was caught eating rum cake at a party by an observant member who was quick to point out there was rum in the cake he was eating. McKay’s response back was, “word of wisdom says you can’t drink alcohol, doesn’t say anything about eating it.”

Lesson, always “chew” your beer once before swallowing. 😁

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:24 am

It really just illustrates how absurd the word of wisdom is...

My in-laws have told me numerous times the moment I even think of coughing to get some Jim Beam to help it. It always cracked me up even as a believing member, because my first thought was always that they found a loophole, because while they would never admit it, they at least talked about it as if it was a great thing to drink when you had a cough.

And really at the end of the day all of this is about finding a way to do what you want and rationalize it, right?

hmb

Post by hmb » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:02 am

I remember when I asked if coffee cake was okay to eat. Hahaha. Funny how paranoia can guide you. My brother was a bishop and once told me that caffeine was not an issue with the WOW. Never was. He said no coffee or tea. Herbal teas that don't contain real tea properties are fine. Coffee is not fine, regular or decaf. Caffeine isn't the culprit, however, so chocolate, caffeinated sodas, medicines are all fine, used moderately. When I asked him why, he said it's about obedience. He thinks it's dumb too, but he's willing to be obedient because he's TBM. I respect that as he respects those who choose other wise. He's a good guy.

The WOW is weird and not really a good health code. It's about obedience.

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:33 pm

hmb wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:02 am
I remember when I asked if coffee cake was okay to eat. Hahaha. Funny how paranoia can guide you. My brother was a bishop and once told me that caffeine was not an issue with the WOW. Never was. He said no coffee or tea. Herbal teas that don't contain real tea properties are fine. Coffee is not fine, regular or decaf. Caffeine isn't the culprit, however, so chocolate, caffeinated sodas, medicines are all fine, used moderately. When I asked him why, he said it's about obedience. He thinks it's dumb too, but he's willing to be obedient because he's TBM. I respect that as he respects those who choose other wise. He's a good guy.

The WOW is weird and not really a good health code. It's about obedience.
Sounds like your brother could find his way to the other side. It's a surprisingly short step from "it's dumb but I obey because the church is true" to "it's dumb but I obey? Is the church true?" Either way, he sounds like a reasonable guy.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:30 pm

-Provo temple used to serve a pineapple coconut coffee cake. They called it "temple cake". No coffee in the recipe.

-My mom had a cold last week. I teased, "you need a hot toddy". She replied, seriously, "Oh, your brother (tbm?) makes those! They work!"

-Mom also feeds beer to her houseplants, uses it for conditioner, and to kill slugs. But my kids get side eye about their 75% cream lattes. Because WOW!

- Good friend of mine was on a homemade kick. She was going to make vanilla and all purpose cleaner. She went to stake liquor store and bought a cart full of everclear and vodka. Clerk, "oh honey. You doing ok?" She was mortified and her tbm mom now buys the cleaning supplies.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:46 pm

hmb wrote:
I remember when I asked if coffee cake was okay to eat.
I can see how cakes that are usually served with coffee could throw unworldly TBMs into a dither. Imagine if the word coffee was similarly attached to donuts and croissants; no more Krispy Kremes in Utah County! The German concept of the kaffeeklatsch becomes demonism in the land of Mormons.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:50 am

Back in the waning days of my church attendance, I met a TBM woman who was raised in the south, but had lived in Utah before coming out east. She suffered from severe migraines. The only thing that was effective for her was whiskey. According to her, she had a conversation with a previous bishop (in Mississippi) and since it was only used for medical purposes, she was okay to hold a TR. She kept a bottle of Jack Daniels in her house. She said that while she lived in Utah, she had to just not mention it to the Leaders there to keep her TR.

The joys of leadership roulette.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:40 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:46 pm
hmb wrote:
I remember when I asked if coffee cake was okay to eat.
I can see how cakes that are usually served with coffee could throw unworldly TBMs into a dither. Imagine if the word coffee was similarly attached to donuts and croissants; no more Krispy Kremes in Utah County! The German concept of the kaffeeklatsch becomes demonism in the land of Mormons.
Mormons also rename their coffee tables hot chocolate tables. And so they also have hot chocolate table books....

Random

Post by Random » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:03 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:53 pm
How have Mormons handled headache remedies such as aspirin that have caffeine as an added ingredient?
When I was growing up and up until I stopped going a year or so before I resigned, no one (as far as I know, anyway) had a problem with Excedrin or other painkillers with caffeine in them (or with Coca Cola, Pepsi, or Dr Pepper).

They also had no problem with cold remedies like Nyquil. As a teenager, I couldn't understand how it was not a sin to take that, but it was a sin to drink alcohol. Then when I got older and could compare the alcohol content between the two, it made even less sense.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:26 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:30 pm

- Good friend of mine was on a homemade kick. She was going to make vanilla and all purpose cleaner. She went to stake liquor store and bought a cart full of everclear and vodka. Clerk, "oh honey. You doing ok?" She was mortified and her tbm mom now buys the cleaning supplies.
I love the “stake” liquor store. Rather than having other TBM Mormons catch you buying liquor in the store, going through the stake provides it without others finding out...other than the stake liquor store missionary couple.
~2bizE

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:14 pm

Random wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:03 pm
They also had no problem with cold remedies like Nyquil. As a teenager, I couldn't understand how it was not a sin to take that, but it was a sin to drink alcohol. Then when I got older and could compare the alcohol content between the two, it made even less sense.
My wife takes cold syrup with alcohol in it. I wonder sometimes if she likes how it feels.

I gave her chocolates for Valentine's Day, which turned out to have a couple of alcoholic ones. She gave them to me, and was very interested in whether they tasted like cough syrup...

It's a forbidden fruit. Illness lets them bend the rules and partake sometimes.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Random

Post by Random » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:47 pm

Reuben wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:14 pm
It's a forbidden fruit. Illness lets them bend the rules and partake sometimes.
It does.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK