What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by 2bizE » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:27 pm

Staying home from church
~2bizE

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:04 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:35 pm
The first thing I'm doing is to avoid freaking out.

The common flu kills over half a million people a year. Yes, we all need to be very cautious and proactive with this thing but we should not freak out until we start seeing those kinds of numbers. Unfortunately, the stock market goes into freak-out mode at the drop of a hat. I have lost a significant portion of my retirement in the last week and this virus hasn't put the pedal to the metal yet. I fear that the number of deaths from COVID-19 compared to other diseases may be scratching the surface of potential long term harm if the market continues to act like a little old lady at a Megadeth concert.
Well said Hagoth. We humans are panicky creatures with a funny misunderstanding of statistics. Around 35,000 people die in automobile accidents in the U.S. every year, and we don't think twice about getting behind the wheel, but let a new disease kill 3,000 people worldwide and we think it's the modern equivalent of the Black Death. If you didn't get a flu shot this year, you obviously weren't too worried about something that is actually a bigger health risk than COVID-19. And if you drove a car today, you put yourself in greater danger than the virus probably poses to you.

Personally, I'm taking pretty much the same precautions I always take - washing my hands frequently, avoiding physical contact with people where possible, etc. It's not that I don't think a pandemic is possible - I actually expect to see one in my lifetime - but I don't think this is it.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:05 am

Corsair wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:30 am
wtfluff wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:33 pm
Corsair wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:21 pm
Would it be over the line to urge my ward members to stock up on extra virgin olive oil so we can do healing blessings?
Absolutely not. You ARE an olive oil salesperson, correct? ;)
I wish that this was a viable way to make money. It would imply that consecrated oil had some certifiable effects.
Oh, I'm definitely with you that the word certifiable belongs in in the same sentence with Magic Olive Oil™.

But the certifiable effects you are referring to are not quite the same as the definition of certifiable I am thinking of.

And yes, if this new little bug goes wild in the U.S., I do have a bit of trepidation as to what LD$-Inc. will do. Too many people think that an invisible being is going to protect them "At Church."

Invisible Elohim won't do anything to protect against this new little invisible (yet actually real) bug...

EDIT: I do have a bit of trepidation about my college-aged kids if an outbreak does occur also. Hopefully they'll be able to stay away from the the crowds, and/or get to an older adult's home where they can be taken care of if the bug hits the fan. The younger ones, I've been attempting to hint at them "upping" their persona/interpersonal hygiene skills, without putting them into panic mode. With them, if quarantine and or school and other group shutdowns happen, their mental health is going to suffer more than their physical health.
Hagoth wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:35 pm
I fear that the number of deaths from COVID-19 compared to other diseases may be scratching the surface of potential long term harm if the market continues to act like a little old lady at a Megadeth concert.
Yep, unfortunately, the way it looks, the economic impacts are going to be much more far-reaching than the "death-toll." :cry:

I sure hope that I get to witness the little old lady at the Megadeth concert. They'll be visiting near Elohim's favorite place the end of July, hopefully the bug will be gone by then.
Last edited by wtfluff on Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:38 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:13 pm
I post memes making fun of the shortage of N95 masks and also how we need a new plague.

On a more serious note, I took a pack of lysol wipes to the office for more frequent decon and take a bit more care in washing my hands more thoroughly.

Otherwise, with a 2% fatality rate on this latest virus and many infected being asymptomatic, I just don't fret much over it.

Keeping your cars filled above half tank all the time is good practice, as is having all the basics covered in case of infrastructure disruption. Common sense.

My feeling is the fear and hype about it will be more disruptive than the actual bug.

Note: Remember, if you are prepared for a zombie apocolypse, you are prepared for anything. Image
+1

It's funny how the mortality rate of so many other things, killing so many more people, take a backseat to hyped up news like this. The media is literally taking the stock market! What about opiates? What about regular influenza deaths? What happened to Ebola, Hanta or all the buzz about West Nile? So many of these things have come and gone. Darwin is trying to find a way to reduce our population and we just keep pushing back. Really we do need a pandemic, the Earth needs a break.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:40 pm

Imagine a worst case scenario. Everybody in the world gets coronavirus. If the highest death ratio estimates are correct, 140 million people would die worldwide. That's a lot of people. It's almost exactly the number of people who die every year without corona virus. Think of all the people you know who have died in the last year and double that number. That's what we're talking about. For 98% of the population it would mean you might have to stay home sick for a week or two.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:51 pm

Well, a friend recommended Elderberry, and I have been taking it since the start of the spring semester.
I haven't been sick this year even though I work at a child care center once a week (with sick little ones who cough in my face and snot all over me) and I work in a public schools. If that's not enough, I've had sick classmates (who share five classes with me). I will probably start forcing Elderberry on my kids when the first case hits Maryland.

So... washing hands, elderberry and knocking on wood.

Thanks for the info Alas. Good to know the mask doesn't prevent. I wish more would wear the mask when sick. When I was sick last semester I wore a mask to class and people were concerned. It's not a big deal and actually pretty considerate.
Not touching your face is always a good reminder too. I try to remember this a work. With allergy season starting it's hard to never touch my eyes and nose... I have definitely caught myself doing it.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:16 pm

Lithium Sunset wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:51 pm
So... washing hands, elderberry and knocking on wood.
Okay, two questions: Was your mother a hamster? Did your father use elder berries and do they have a strong smell?

Monty Python reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAy4zULKFDU
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:23 pm

It's also quite possible the mortality rate for this bug is less than 2%. The reason being the majority of the numbers come out of china so far where the pollution is horrific and most people smoke, not to mention all the people working in factories making all the toxic products we consume with toxic soldering iron smoke. So when it comes here hopefully we see that rate much lower given less propensity for folks to screw over their lungs and compromise their immune systems with bad habits and bad environment. Of course those of us that live in the soup bowl of inversion pollution along the wasatch front may be slightly less lucky.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:29 pm

Costco was sold out of bottled water, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer today.

Seems prepping for quarantines have started here. Only 1 confirmed case in the whole state as of today so the news has started to freak people out of reason.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:45 pm

One of my daughters and her family are at Disneyland today. They said the crowds are down, and they are having a great time. Thank you Corona!

Guy

Post by Guy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:29 pm

A New Name wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:45 pm
One of my daughters and her family are at Disneyland today. They said the crowds are down, and they are having a great time. Thank you Corona!
I never thought of this. I should be planning a trip to Disneyland with the family right now!!! ;)

Actually, wife is in Hawaii with two long time friends. I told her if she doesn't want to come back in a week, get the virus and get quarantined over there for a month to extend her vacation!
Happy Dissenter :D

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:34 pm

My patriarchal blessing says I'll live to see the 2nd Coming so I'm totally safe.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:36 pm

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:23 pm
It's also quite possible the mortality rate for this bug is less than 2%.
Yes, US researchers seem to be suggesting this.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:37 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:29 pm
Costco was sold out of bottled water, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer today.
Bought by people who were passing around shared trays of bread and water yesterday!

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:10 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:36 pm
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:23 pm
It's also quite possible the mortality rate for this bug is less than 2%.
Yes, US researchers seem to be suggesting this.
NYT reported 1.4% is the estimate--thats still 14x more deadly than influenza. Also that its very unlikely asymptomatic people are carriers, so stay home sick people!!

Also note that when they say "mild illness for most people" that mild means, "not in need of hospitalization. Can include walking pneumonia even and still be deemed mild.

alas

Post by alas » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:11 am

Latest from WHO is that the death rate is over 3%, but of course the liar in chief says that is an outrageous number. China is saying the virus has mutated and there is a more deadly strain and a less deadly strain. Trump is also saying that people can go to work with the virus, and still get better. But he, like the idiot he is also failed to consider that some of the people you infect by going to work may be at higher risk of dying from it than you are. So some of them may die, but no problem, you might survive even if you go to work sick. Then of course after he was criticized for saying that he blamed the Democrats for saying that he said something he never said. I may decide to move to Russia. At least their dictator is not a freaking idiot.

So, if you want to believe that the death rate is a fraction of one percent like liar in chief claims, go ahead. Me, I believe WHO over his lying orangeness.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:40 am

alas wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:11 am
So, if you want to believe that the death rate is a fraction of one percent like liar in chief claims, go ahead. Me, I believe WHO over his lying orangeness.
I tend to think the death rate is less than the WHO's number only because the assumption from a lot of experts is that a lot of cases are not being reported yet the people are OK.

That said, it is beyond irresponsible for Trump to tell people they go to work and are fine. I am fairly certain I would be OK, but my mom is immune-compromised and would almost certainly be either a super severe case or die if she got it as are so many other at-risk people who are surrounded by those who could be carrying it to work/stores/etc.

Ever since she had that issue I've become a germophobe a bit, but I'm really noticing everything now with coronavirus news everywhere. Not changing my day to day stuff at all, but I am definitely making my kid wash his hands more and try to keep him from touching his face or putting his zipper in his mouth (it's a nervous thing he does with his coat on for some reason). And I am trying to wash my hands every time I think of it and just try avoid touching anything I don't have to away from home.

alas

Post by alas » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:08 am

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:40 am
alas wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:11 am
I tend to think the death rate is less than the WHO's number only because the assumption from a lot of experts is that a lot of cases are not being reported yet the people are OK.

That said, it is beyond irresponsible for Trump to tell people they go to work and are fine. I am fairly certain I would be OK, but my mom is immune-compromised and would almost certainly be either a super severe case or die if she got it as are so many other at-risk people who are surrounded by those who could be carrying it to work/stores/etc.

Ever since she had that issue I've become a germophobe a bit, but I'm really noticing everything now with coronavirus news everywhere. Not changing my day to day stuff at all, but I am definitely making my kid wash his hands more and try to keep him from touching his face or putting his zipper in his mouth (it's a nervous thing he does with his coat on for some reason). And I am trying to wash my hands every time I think of it and just try avoid touching anything I don't have to away from home.
I agree. I think WHO so far has counted “confirmed cases” but then it only counts “confirmed cases” with Flu also. For example, I got the flu a few weeks ago. I was running a fever and felt rotten, but not sick enough to go to a hospital, and the doctor would tell me “go home, take aspirin or Tyrol for fever, stay hydrated and come in if there are respiratory issues.” So, why bother even going in to the doc so I get a bill. I was a case of the flu that survived, but was never counted as a survivor of the flu. So, I think comparing death rates between “confirmed cases” and ”confirmed cases” is fair. So, this is much more serious than flu. But as we test people more, the death rate will go down.

But I am also in a “high risk group” because I am diabetic and my husband is over 70 and diabetic. So, we are “people with “underlying conditions” for which the risk is much higher. The only thing I have seen said for diabetic was 50% and I really don’t think that is accurate.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:22 am

alas wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:08 am
But I am also in a “high risk group” because I am diabetic and my husband is over 70 and diabetic. So, we are “people with “underlying conditions” for which the risk is much higher. The only thing I have seen said for diabetic was 50% and I really don’t think that is accurate.
Hopefully you are both in a situation where you can just sit the world out for a while if necessary. Stockpile some food and books, and make sure your Netflix is paid up.