What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
alas

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by alas » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:06 pm

MoPag wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:42 am
Hagoth wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:14 am
Well, it looks like my son has it.

He caught it on the plane while travelling back to San Francisco from visiting us or at a friends house at a stopover in Phoenix. He has a list of likely symptoms but the test kit they sent him didn't arrive or went to his old address.
((Hugs)) I hope he gets better soon!
Yes, hope he is over it soon with no complications.

We have a niece and her husband who are sick with it right now. He was running a dangerously high fever with it the other day. They were n the phone with the doctor trying desperately to bring it down. About half an hour before the doctor’s deadline for fever to come down or admit him to ICU, the fever came down enough that the doctor just had our niece up all night checking his fever every half hour. The next day, she was showing symptoms. DH’s sister who had it earlier is staying with them because they are both too sick to take care of their 4 y.o. twins.

We also have some friends sick with it.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:40 pm

Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington state, Wisconsin and Wyoming have all seen increases in the virus, the analysis found, based on data from Johns Hopkins University.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Newme

Post by Newme » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:51 am

oliblish wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:05 pm
Source: abcnews...
Aha! There’s the problem, as well as why so many conflicting reports.

And this goes for not just ABC, but also CBS, NBC, FOX news etc.
It’s bull s-it!!

Operation mockingbird mind control media
https://youtu.be/rUDP6e5N9gw

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... cast_Group

You saw through the Mormon BS. Why can’t you see through this? Too much tell-a-vision?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:03 pm

Newme wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:51 am

It’s bull s-it!!
Newme, you spill a lot of ink telling us where the bullsh!t comes from, it would be much more helpful if you could point us to your sources of reliable information. Thanks in advance!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:20 pm

Newme wrote:

Operation mockingbird mind control media
https://youtu.be/rUDP6e5N9gw

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... cast_Group
I'm glad you pointed out that these are members of the Sinclair Broadcast Group, which is a pro-Trump right-wing wave that's getting it's fingers into too many pies.

It's funny that Trump sees it just the opposite; everybody else is fake news BUT Sinclair has the good stuff. He said, "So funny to watch Fake News Networks, among the most dishonest groups of people I have ever dealt with, criticize Sinclair Broadcasting for being biased. Sinclair is far superior to CNN and even more Fake NBC, which is a total joke."

It's the battle of the fakes vs. the faker-fakes. Who will win the president's coveted fakest-fake award?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:56 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:03 pm
Newme wrote:

It’s bull s-it!!
Newme, you spill a lot of ink telling us where the bullsh!t comes from, it would be much more helpful if you could point us to your sources of reliable information. Thanks in advance!
Actually not a drop of ink. ;)

Well, I did link to the US CDC, but even that has been questionable.

When all else fails, use common sense.
Look around you, and consider what you have experienced. Does this seems like a pandemic or flu? I’d say flu - as is typical with flu, those who are already weak with pre-existing health problems are most vulnerable.

I’d also suggest reading up on how to THINK: study cognitive distortions and logical fallacies. I was proud that as we watched the ridiculous presidential debate, one of my kids called out strawman, ad hominem attack, appeal to emotion & other logical fallacies as each engaged in them. Yes, both sides.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:48 am

Newme wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:56 am
I’d also suggest reading up on how to THINK
Thanks for the suggestion. Never would have occurred to me. I'll add to that my advice which is to learn to think in more than two colors.

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:14 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:48 am
Newme wrote:
I’d also suggest reading up on how to THINK
Thanks for the suggestion. Never would have occurred to me. I'll add to that my advice which is to learn to think in more than two colors.
That’s the ticket. ;)

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:43 pm

Newme wrote:
Look around you, and consider what you have experienced. Does this seems like a pandemic or flu? I’d say flu - as is typical with flu, those who are already weak with pre-existing health problems are most vulnerable.
COVID-19 vs. the flu: I personally know 3 families who have been had to deal with COVID-19, two of those families, one family member brought it home and infected 5-7 others. One of those friends is still recovering, quarantined, on steroids, and constantly checking 02, on alert to head to the hospital if 02 levels drop too low.

Another friend and neighbor had his aunt pass a way from COVID-19. She was in her 40's and was a marathon runner. No comorbidities, no pre-exiting conditions.

I've had a co-worker die from COVVID-19.

The flu? I don't know anyone who contracted the flu this season. Especially since the flu basically disappeared in March this year due to COVID restrictions. Even then, it would have gone away by May, just like it does every year, because the flu is seasonal. COVID-19? Well, yesterday was the second-highest infection day since this thing began in the MORmON Corridor™. COVID-19 doesn't care what season it is.

Nope, COVID-19 is not the flu.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:21 am

There are a few significant differences between COVID-19 and the common flu. C-19 has a a C0 rating (infectiousness) almost double that of the flu. It causes blood clots in lungs, heart, legs, brain. There is no vaccine for it. We have no indication yet of an annual pattern; it was spreading at its highest rate during the part of the year when flu was experiencing its annual decline (as indicated in the CDC chart that Newme posted). And did I mention that there is no vaccine for it?

Once we do have an effective vaccine, then it might be meaningful to compare COVID-19 to the common flu, but that is a significant differentiator in the meantime.

One thing we should be able to look forward to this year is a reduced spreading of the seasonal flu because of the social distancing and mask wearing (at least outside of college campuses, the deep south, and the Rose Garden), not to mention the free drive-up vaccination stations that are popping up everywhere. So there's that.

Newme

Post by Newme » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:53 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:43 pm
Newme wrote:
COVID-19 vs. the flu: I personally know 3 families who have been had to deal with COVID-19, two of those families, one family member brought it home and infected 5-7 others. One of those friends is still recovering, quarantined, on steroids, and constantly checking 02, on alert to head to the hospital if 02 levels drop too low.

Another friend and neighbor had his aunt pass a way from COVID-19. She was in her 40's and was a marathon runner. No comorbidities, no pre-exiting conditions.

I've had a co-worker die from COVVID-19.

The flu? I don't know anyone who contracted the flu this season. Especially since the flu basically disappeared in March this year due to COVID restrictions. Even then, it would have gone away by May, just like it does every year, because the flu is seasonal. COVID-19? Well, yesterday was the second-highest infection day since this thing began in the MORmON Corridor™. COVID-19 doesn't care what season it is.

Nope, COVID-19 is not the flu.
I know - covid label$ make more money so they’re calling all kinds of deaths “covid death.” I have a few extended family & friends who had been sick for years and finally died & they listed covid as the cause. As the doctor admitted, they get more money if they list covid: NYC Elmerherst Hospital Nurse: ‪https://youtu.be/uwieAvDq2dk‬

After applying for a coronavirus patent in 2014 (approved 2018), Bill Gates explained he wanted to have a military games practice pandemic. October 2019 he held “Event 201.” But he also said with a smile, the next plandemic will be far worse.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:27 pm

Feel free to cite any reputable sources from medical or scientific journals or groups. We'll wait.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:26 pm

glass shelf wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:27 pm
Feel free to cite any reputable sources from medical or scientific journals or groups. We'll wait.
I'm not waiting Glass. I've got better things to do with the little time I have left. (I'll be dead before any real evidence shows up for the BatSh!t Crazy conspiracy theories show up.)

I know I should have known better. "Look around you at your experience." To which I actually relate my experience, and... Well... Le Sigh... :roll:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:32 pm

Newme wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:53 pm
https://youtu.be/uwieAvDq2dk‬
Link doesn't work. FAKE NEWS! :D

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:40 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:26 pm
glass shelf wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:27 pm
I'm not waiting Glass. I've got better things to do with the little time I have left. (I'll be dead before any real evidence shows up for the BatSh!t Crazy conspiracy theories show up.)

I know I should have known better. "Look around you at your experience." To which I actually relate my experience, and... Well... Le Sigh... :roll:
You're right. i'm not really waiting either. I'm just so frustrated by what this year has shown me about a frighteningly large number of my fellow humans.

Also, trying to figure out when the US will take science education seriously.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:06 am

glass shelf wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:40 pm
I'm just so frustrated by what this year has shown me about a frighteningly large number of my fellow humans.
Amen. I was totally unprepared for the selfishness, bigotry, and general nastiness. And, I guess, naively optimistic about the degree that people actually care for others, especially many who love to advertise themselves as Christians.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:19 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:06 am
glass shelf wrote:
I'm just so frustrated by what this year has shown me about a frighteningly large number of my fellow humans.
Amen. I was totally unprepared for the selfishness, bigotry, and general nastiness. And, I guess, naively optimistic about the degree that people actually care for others, especially many who love to advertise themselves as Christians.
Amen, Amen, and Amen! :ugeek:

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:55 pm

Hagoth wrote:
glass shelf wrote:
Geez, no kidding. I am horrified at the level of selfishness I see from my fellow Americans. Not just "I ate the last piece of cake" selfish, but "I don't care if old people die because I spread a deadly disease because I don't feel like wearing a mask" selfish, or "I am quite willing to put my hairdressers life at risk because I want my hair done" selfish, or "let's just let 4% of the population die and get it over with so I can go to bars" selfish. I. Am. Horrified. I am ashamed to be an American when I see how cheaply we hold the lives of other Americans. But then this was a country that was cool with human beings owning other human beings for almost the first century of its existence, and still isn't too troubled that white people have it better than anyone else, so I don't know why I am so surprised. Americans are extraordinarily selfish compared to countries that have handled the virus well.

And don't tell me I should go live in one of those other countries, because I can't, they won't let me in thanks to the catastrophically inept and careless way we have dealt with COVID in America.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:23 pm

Hagoth wrote:
glass shelf wrote:
One of my core beliefs is that most people are doing the best they can with the cards they're dealt in life. It's a belief that helps me have hope in humanity. The last few months are really testing that belief.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:25 am

glass shelf wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:23 pm
Hagoth wrote:
glass shelf wrote:
One of my core beliefs is that most people are doing the best they can with the cards they're dealt in life. It's a belief that helps me have hope in humanity. The last few months are really testing that belief.
I hate to be a downer, but while a lot of people are doing the best they can, a lot aren't. It's always been like that. Con men aren't doing the best they can with the cards they've been dealt, nor are serial killers. That's a small percent of the population, but there's more. Think of the South prior to 1865 - you can't tell me a whole race of people enslaving another race of people are doing the best they can.

People generally act in their own self-interest to the extent they can get away with it, without bringing upon themselves legal consequences or social disapprobation. If they can avoid wearing a mask and suffer no consequences, that is what many will do, even though they know they are increasing the risk to those around them. That is just one example among many. The whole reason we have laws is because we understand you cannot trust individual people to do the right thing without some kind of external enforcement. Most people are really good at rationalizing and minimizing to justify their actions.

I don't expect much out of people. Sometimes they surprise me and I am delighted when they do, but I've found keeping my expectations low is a far more realistic approach to life.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph