What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:13 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:25 am
Most people are really good at rationalizing and minimizing to justify their actions.
While that is true, I like to think the majority are just doing what they can to get by and keep an eye out for their loved ones. Unfortunately, they are mostly powerless people with no voice who are easily stomped all over by the selfish loudmouths.

From Where the Buffalo Roam, Bill Murray as Hunter S. Thompson:

..."what is this country doing for the doomed? There are two kinds of people in this country, the doomed and the screwheads. Savage tribal thugs who live off their legal incomes, brow deep out there; no respect for human dignity... You know that one and a half of the State Senate of Utah are screwheads. You know I was never really frightened by the bopheads and the potheads with their silliness never really frightened me either, but these goddam screwheads, they terrify me. And the poor doomed, the young, and the silly, the honest, the weak, the Italians... they're doomed, they're lost, they're helpless, they're somebody else's meal, they're like pigs in the wilderness."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

alas

Post by alas » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:05 pm

While I agree with you cynics that most people aren’t doing the best they can to be kind and caring for others, I choose not to. This is one of those cases where people can choose what they want to believe. I know that the majority of people will screw you if they think they can get away with it. I sure have experienced people who are not doing the best they can, as parents, as fellow employees, as President. I still want to believe the best of people. So I try to ignore the screw heads and see the good side of people. Yeah, sometimes it is pretty hard to ignore the narcissistic jerk in the White House who doesn’t give a shit if he infects people, but I still want to look for the good in people.

For example, we were triple hauling, travel trailer and ATV trailer and had to pull the whole train into a small town service(less) station for gas....in all three, the truck needed diesel, the travel trailer needed ethanol free, and the ATV needed filling. That over $100, and you would think the service station might offer you know, service. Nope. We had already rejected four service stations as too difficult to get in and out of. So as a last resort, he pulls in To this one. And the diesel hose is too short, Way short, so he backs closer to the pump. And gets too close with the travel trailer to the stuff on the other side. He can’t back out and he can’t pull forward without creaming something. The jerk inside the building just smirked, like “hit something and I’ll sue“ so DH wants me to watch 4 sides of three vehicles and tell him which way to turn the wheels and whether to try forward or back. Uh huh, I am real experienced pulling a train and know exactly which way his wheels need to be to turn the back end of the train away from the gas pump. Not! And this little 4’9” Mexican with three missing teeth and a thick accent takes over, telling DH which way to turn the wheels, how far to back, then which way to turn the wheels and how far to go forward. The guy spends 15 minutes helping DH get the rig out of the serviceless station without hitting anything, while the idiot who worked there watched from inside and smirked, while we blocked three lanes with our train. DH tries to hand the guy a twenty for his help and he grins real big and in his broken English, says, “Nope. Someday, I get in jam and somebody help me.” Now life obviously hadn’t been that good to this guy with his worn out work clothes, his old pickup, and his missing teeth, but he was still willing to help a stranger who did something stupid by pulling into a service station he can’t safely get out of.

See, for every jerk, there is a guy willing to help, even when it takes time out of his day and he doesn’t expect anything except for someday, someone to show him kindness in return. That is how I choose to view people because I would rather be like that than like the smirking guy inside.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:34 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:05 pm
See, for every jerk, there is a guy willing to help, even when it takes time out of his day and he doesn’t expect anything except for someday, someone to show him kindness in return. That is how I choose to view people because I would rather be like that than like the smirking guy inside.
My mission on the Texas/Mexico border really opened my eyes to the the vast divide between the humble, good people (mostly brown and poor) and the screwheads (mostly white and privileged) and I am grateful for that. Of course, people don't fall into two simple categories by any means, but there was definitely a trend. People with five cars in the driveway would call me names and threaten me with violence. People with dirt floors and one lightbulb would invite me in and feed me.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:45 pm

My mission on the Texas/Mexico border really opened my eyes to the the vast divide between the humble, good people (mostly brown and poor) and the screwheads (mostly white and privileged) and I am grateful for that. Of course, people don't fall into two simple categories by any means, but there was definitely a trend. People with five cars in the driveway would call me names and threaten me with violence. People with dirt floors and one lightbulb would invite me in and feed me.
Point well taken. Thank you, Hagoth. 8-)

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:35 am

Well, you know, I really don't want to kill anyone's hope in mankind or whatever. And sure, I was raised in a cynical generation, I never lived in a pre-Watergate world. But geez, didn't any of the rest of you have to watch "High Noon" in American Heritage at BYU? That's the whole point of the movie.

Personally, I do all I can to make sure I don't put myself in positions where I have to hope someone is acting against their own self interest. Sometimes people do and God bless them for it, but I don't ever count on it.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:40 am

Duke University study says masks make a significant difference.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 0-06277-0
"Excess cases after 6 weeks could have been reduced by 90% from 576,371 to 63,062 and excess deaths reduced by 80% from 22,851 to 4858 had states implemented mask mandates prior to reopening. Over 50,000 excess deaths were prevented within 6 weeks in 13 states that implemented mask mandates prior to reopening."

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:39 am

There is some deranged guy on TV with an active case of COVID-19 going all over in public without a mask. The only way to spot this deadly spreader is that he wears a suit and has way too much spray-on skin bronzer on his face.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:44 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:39 am
There is some deranged guy on TV with an active case of COVID-19 going all over in public without a mask. The only way to spot this deadly spreader is that he wears a suit and has way too much spray-on skin bronzer on his face.
This is where I wish we had just a simple like button.

Instead I’ll just consider my FIL that *still* doesn’t wear a mask when he leaves the house despite MIL being only a few years removed from intense cancer treatment.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Pandemic/2020 humor from IFLScience:
So far, 2020 is like looking both ways before crossing the street, and then getting hit by an airplane.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:52 pm

COVID is creeping through my ward now. I know of 3 families within two blocks of me who have multiple family members affected. One couple in particular really has people worried. These are folks in their 70s who are otherwise very healthy and active but it has hit them hard. Great people. I wish them well. I am curious to know how many of them have been attending in-person church meetings.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 am

Our stake just announced full time SM attendance with no restrictions.

So dumb.

Stay home.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:11 am

Parents of local high schoolers (almost exclusively students involved in athletics and cheer leading) were outraged when they announced there will no home coming dances in addition to several schools in the area being completely shutdown. So these parents organized a unofficial homecoming dance for select students for 4 different area high schools. Based on the Facebook pictures of the event, mask and social distancing rules were basically thrown out the window, despite what the organizers claim.

Surprise of all surprises, several student had the Covid-19 virus, and now basally everyone who attended and their families are considered exposed and will are under observation to see if they come down with it as well. Several cases have been traced directly to this party.

Oh, one of the main organizers of this was the wife of the local LDS bishop.

In addition to the local ward opening back up for limited services, the Bishop's whole family is considered likey carriers of the virus.

Welcome to West Virginia. Where they only more important to TBMs than keeping up their LDS popularity is keeping up their high school kid's popularity.

Also...

Facebook: Letting people document themselves being stupid for all to see since 2004.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:06 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:40 am
"Excess cases after 6 weeks could have been reduced by 90% from 576,371 to 63,062 and excess deaths reduced by 80% from 22,851 to 4858 had states implemented mask mandates prior to reopening. Over 50,000 excess deaths were prevented within 6 weeks in 13 states that implemented mask mandates prior to reopening."
Nothing brings home the cost of the leadership vacuum more than to actually know someone who died of COVID-19. In my case it was my long-time home teacher. Despite how annoyingly faithful that guy was with his visits and messages from the Ensign, he was a good guy. Always helped his neighbors when he could, be the issue snow or yardwork, helping an elderly neighbor to church, or loaning a tool or a just a hand when needed. Perhaps the virus might have gotten him anyway, but the Duke study suggests that with better leadership the odds would favor his still being among us. There is real tragedy going on in our communities.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:25 pm

DPRoberts wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:06 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:40 am
Nothing brings home the cost of the leadership vacuum more than to actually know someone who died of COVID-19. In my case it was my long-time home teacher. Despite how annoyingly faithful that guy was with his visits and messages from the Ensign, he was a good guy. Always helped his neighbors when he could, be the issue snow or yardwork, helping an elderly neighbor to church, or loaning a tool or a just a hand when needed. Perhaps the virus might have gotten him anyway, but the Duke study suggests that with better leadership the odds would favor his still being among us. There is real tragedy going on in our communities.
Condolences, Dear Pirate.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

alas

Post by alas » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:21 am

Lost a cousin to Covid.

Journey

Post by Journey » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:50 pm

So sorry, alas and DPRoberts :(

How’s your son, Hagoth? Hopefully he’s recovering and feeling better!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:40 pm

alas wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:21 am
Lost a cousin to Covid.
Condolences.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:00 pm

Thanks, Fluff.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:31 pm

alas wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:21 am
Lost a cousin to Covid.
Condolences Alas.

Where is the "Do Not Like" button for the recent "trend" of this thread?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:50 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 am
Our stake just announced full time SM attendance with no restrictions.

So dumb.

Stay home.
What is wrong with people?

My kid's middle school was shut down entirely last week because they reached 1% infection rate for positive cases, so they closed down to disinfect everything and give people some quarantine space.

One of my highschoolers had to stay home for almost two weeks because a class mate that he sat next to was positive.

But sure, let's open up churches. Sounds great.