What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
wtfluff

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:28 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:32 pm
Prayers, thoughts, candles, poems, Wiccan spells, Chicken noodle soup for the soul, whatever else makes you tick would be appreciated for them.

They’re much older and frail than us.
Fluffy thoughts lobbed in the general direction of the land southward for Mr. and Mrs. Ryder, and their relative. May Lakshmi lead you to virus-free health (and loads of anti-bodies.)

Now... Gotta figure out how to make some kind of RED beverage to to drink for, and in behalf of the Ryder clan. :ugeek:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:38 am

The more infectious and faster spreading UK variant has arrived in Utah.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:37 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:38 am
The more infectious and faster spreading UK variant has arrived in Utah.
Are you referring to Mormon immigrants or the virus?

Update: we are all doing better after 10 days of this. It’s been relatively mild for us and I feel extremely fortunate for that.

Grandpa isn’t out of the woods yet but was already in hospice care considering he is a few years shy of 100. I’m appalled at the belief that a Priesthood blessing can release him from his mortal life on earth. I had to refuse to participate in that crazy idea. So dumb.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:29 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:32 pm
Sister Ryder and I both tested positive earlier this week. So far fairly mild and manageable. The biggest worry is wondering if this is the worst of it or if this coming week will get worse. The weird headache has me up at night. Not having to sweat through polyester polygamy panties has been comforting though.

Pretty sure another family member got it after a night in the ER triage area awaiting an x-ray.

Prayers, thoughts, candles, poems, Wiccan spells, Chicken noodle soup for the soul, whatever else makes you tick would be appreciated for them.

They’re much older and frail than us.

Wear a mask folks and get vaccinated.

...and ignore Newme. :lol:
Hopefully you're over the worst of it now.

As for that last bit, I got my first shot a week and a half ago. A sore arm, a day of feeling tired, and increased hope and optimism were my side effects.

Plan to get the second shot at the three week mark.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:46 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:55 pm
From the state department:
https://2017-2021.state.gov/fact-sheet- ... -virology/

NBI can eat sh$t.
It is embarrassing to me as an American to see such stuff posted on an American government site. Sort of like QAnon was let loose in the State Department.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:45 am

NBI can eat sh$t.
Huh?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:47 am

From the state department:
https://2017-2021.state.gov/fact-sheet- ... -virology/

NBI can eat sh$t.
I could see this article by following your link, but when I went directly to www.state.gov I could not find it. The first search finds a link but says it has been archived (kind of odd that they would be removing fact sheets from just last week and archiving them). So I followed the link to the archive and searched by both date and name and there is nothing there. Two possibilities: it was removed to protect secret alliances with China or it was removed because it was inaccurate. Or both. Or because "you can't handle the truth." Mystery!

It kind of reads like an LDS Gospel Topics essay: "The virus could have emerged naturally from human contact with infected animals, spreading in a pattern consistent with a natural epidemic. Alternatively, a laboratory accident could resemble a natural outbreak if the initial exposure included only a few individuals and was compounded by asymptomatic infection."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:37 pm

Have you all seen this video in the wake of the COVID-19 deaths?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpSgEQ ... e=youtu.be

Even during the Black Death in Europe, they had to forethought to send a guy on a horsecart going up and down the streets shouting, "Bring out your dead".

BTW, there have been 25,929,282 COVID-19 cases reported in the US.
-- Moksha

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:45 am

Lucked into a vaccination opening. My insurance told me to wait for them to notify me of an opening. So far, they are out of available openings for the foreseeable future, but a nurse, next door, told us they were looking for people to fill open spots. One shot down, one to go. I'm still amazed that a vaccine for Covid has been made available this fast.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:26 am

hmb wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:45 am
Lucked into a vaccination opening. My insurance told me to wait for them to notify me of an opening. So far, they are out of available openings for the foreseeable future, but a nurse, next door, told us they were looking for people to fill open spots. One shot down, one to go. I'm still amazed that a vaccine for Covid has been made available this fast.
It's a scientific marvel for sure!

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:40 pm

There have been 524,362 deaths from COVID-19 in the US.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:52 am

hmb wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:45 am
I'm still amazed that a vaccine for Covid has been made available this fast.
Me too, but Utah just opened vaccination to age 50 and above. Mrs. Hagoth and I have appointments for this week. I really thought we'd be waiting until summer.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:41 pm

I'm scheduled for my second shot next week. Good luck to Mr. and Mrs. Hagoth. Those occasional Microsoft ads from the injection site are harmless and should have you tuned in to General Conference by April.
-- Moksha

hmb

Post by hmb » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:17 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:41 pm
I'm scheduled for my second shot next week. Good luck to Mr. and Mrs. Hagoth. Those occasional Microsoft ads from the injection site are harmless and should have you tuned in to General Conference by April.
Oh goody. Conference. Thank goodness the injection will have me watching "voluntarily." After my shot, I told my husband that now my every move will be tracked because the vaccine is spiked with tracking devices. Oh the cunningness of the Evil Bill Gates :twisted: .

Never mind the iphone I'm holding, and carry most of the time. Don't think about Facebook that I check most days, or what I purchase online.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:57 am

Any thoughts about this? (from the New York Times):

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:27 pm

The Trib posted an article about the vaccine rollout in Utah today, going over why Utah has a lower percentage of vaccinated population than other states. According to the article Utah has a young population, and the federal government is using old census data (both of which were discussed here previously). But Utah is almost top 10 for getting delivered vaccines administered.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:32 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:57 am
Any thoughts about this? (from the New York Times):

The immense concentration of rich ghouls in the US drives up the average (mean) income. Because they are still very few (only about 2000 billionaires in the world), the median income is much lower (around 30 kUSD if I recall).

Japan, even though it's much more crowded than the US, has many fewer deaths per capita, because they have worn masks for a long time before.

Deaths per capita seem to grow roughly geometrically as average income. Maybe it's the entitlement or sense of invulnerability that wealth engenders, so the rich take fewer precautions and explode at the idea that anyone might tell them to take more. Because contagious diseases spread exponentially, so do deaths due to contagious diseases.

The US has no universal healthcare (because it's cOmMuNiSt). Germany has robust universal healthcare. Britain has universal healthcare, but many years of austerity and Tory governments have hamstrung it. I don't know what Italy has.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:38 pm

The Times article also suggested that people in poorer countries have more robust immune systems from not living in antiseptic bubbles like First Worlders do. They also tend to spend less time indoors or in spaces with windows closed.

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:47 pm

I just noticed that the scale of average income is logarithmic, so the number of deaths per capita actually grows linearly. The reason might be that superior healthcare in developed countries slows the growth.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League