What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
wtfluff

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by wtfluff » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:34 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:01 am
Why is the death rate so low in Utah?
One thing they don't talk about a lot in the good old Corridor™ is that 50% of the deaths have been folks who were in long-term-care facilities. There hasn't been a large cluster in any specific care home (that we know of) but 50% of the total deaths actually attributed to COVID-19 seems high to me. I must admit that I don't know what those statistics look like any other state, so maybe that's normal?

So like I mentioned previously, either we're doing a good enough job hiding in our basements, or something else is going on... (Maybe those mini hunger-strikes really did work! :twisted: )
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:25 pm

Double-Post alert:
alas wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:42 pm
Well, look at HIV. No vaccine yet, but we have developed some pretty good treatments. So, I think once we figure out why this is asymptomatic in some people and kills others, and just how it is killing them, that they will find ways of treating it. The problem is that this disease has only been in existence for six months and there is still so much we don’t know.

So, although I am quite skeptical about a vaccine, I am hopeful for treatments.
I'm hopeful that we'll get something figured out, though it may be a while.

In the meantime, I'm gonna sew me up a Princess mask in the near future. If a Princess mask won't offer some protection, nothing will! (I'm quite positive that gun-toting libertarians won't wanna get anywhere near an old dude wearing a princess mask - so it will definitely protect me from something.)
Princess.jpg
Princess.jpg (104.85 KiB) Viewed 14640 times
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:10 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:01 am
Why is the death rate so low in Utah?
All the things Momrons do are off-limits: church, temple, movie theaters, restaurants.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:31 am

1,831,821 cases in the US, and 10,202 in Utah.
Last edited by moksha on Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:14 am

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:25 pm
Double-Post alert:
alas wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:42 pm
Well, look at HIV. No vaccine yet, but we have developed some pretty good treatments. So, I think once we figure out why this is asymptomatic in some people and kills others, and just how it is killing them, that they will find ways of treating it. The problem is that this disease has only been in existence for six months and there is still so much we don’t know.

So, although I am quite skeptical about a vaccine, I am hopeful for treatments.

In the meantime, I'm gonna sew me up a Princess mask in the near future. If a Princess mask won't offer some protection, nothing will! (I'm quite positive that gun-toting libertarians won't wanna get anywhere near an old dude wearing a princess mask - so it will definitely protect me from something.)

Princess.jpg
I sewed me up a mask with skull and cross bones. I figured that might clue in people who are not taking this seriously. Besides, the skull has a cute pink bow on her bald scalp.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:39 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:14 am
wtfluff wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:25 pm
Double-Post alert:

Princess.jpg
I sewed me up a mask with skull and cross bones. I figured that might clue in people who are not taking this seriously. Besides, the skull has a cute pink bow on her bald scalp.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:33 pm

I've tracked confirmed cases and deaths in my state and the numbers are still rising exponentially. Of course we took that as a sign to open back up for business.

If the numbers were growing exponentially during a near 2 month quarantine then they are about to explode mid to late May.

Of course no one really stayed at home during the quarantine, otherwise the daily numbers would have decreased with time, not increased... so maybe things will continue to march on at their current rate.

Either way, I hope we used that time to prepare.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:00 pm

nibbler wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:33 pm
I've tracked confirmed cases and deaths in my state and the numbers are still rising exponentially. Of course we took that as a sign to open back up for business.

If the numbers were growing exponentially during a near 2 month quarantine then they are about to explode mid to late May.

Of course no one really stayed at home during the quarantine, otherwise the daily numbers would have decreased with time, not increased... so maybe things will continue to march on at their current rate.

You mind sharing what state you are in?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:23 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:00 pm
nibbler wrote:

To avoid it?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:13 pm

Reuben wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:23 pm
wtfluff wrote:
nibbler wrote:

To avoid it?
Well... Yeah... That... And... I want to take a peek at the data.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri May 01, 2020 11:06 am

Primatologists work to keep great apes safe from coronavirus. Human respiratory viruses are already the leading cause of death in chimp communities.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05 ... oronavirus
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Fri May 01, 2020 5:33 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:13 pm
Reuben wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:23 pm
wtfluff wrote:

To avoid it?
My DH showed me a chart of reported cases per state showing the numbers over the last several weeks. The CDC has its guidelines for number of weeks reporting fewer numbers and how much it is supposed to be down before reopening. No state is even close. I could just look at the graphs and see that no state really has the kind of reduction needed to open up restrictions. Most states were up and down, like Idaho (my legal residence) dropped to zero, but then jumped right back up to its next to highest number the next week. Maybe one or two states have a statistically significant drop, but most were just bouncing around as high as ever, with no clear pattern of reducing numbers. Because the numbers bounce around, that will reduce the statistical significance of any drops there are. There is no pattern of reducing numbers.

But today, Utah allowed restaurants to reopen with some restrictions and driving through back to southern Utah, (our winter home) some have dining rooms open and others are still drive through only and some like Chuckarama are still closed. Almost no one is wearing face masks.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri May 01, 2020 10:54 pm

alas wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:33 pm
wtfluff wrote:
My DH showed me a chart of reported cases per state showing the numbers over the last several weeks. The CDC has its guidelines for number of weeks reporting fewer numbers and how much it is supposed to be down before reopening. No state is even close. I could just look at the graphs and see that no state really has the kind of reduction needed to open up restrictions. Most states were up and down, like Idaho (my legal residence) dropped to zero, but then jumped right back up to its next to highest number the next week. Maybe one or two states have a statistically significant drop, but most were just bouncing around as high as ever, with no clear pattern of reducing numbers. Because the numbers bounce around, that will reduce the statistical significance of any drops there are. There is no pattern of reducing numbers.

But today, Utah allowed restaurants to reopen with some restrictions and driving through back to southern Utah, (our winter home) some have dining rooms open and others are still drive through only and some like Chuckarama are still closed. Almost no one is wearing face masks.
A little birdie may have squealed on Nibbler and let me know the vicinity in which he resides: Their numbers are definitely still going up, but they are not "opening" anything back up. YET.

As far as Utah is concerned, if you look at the daily positive cases graph, it's pretty flat. Less numbers on weekends, as less folks get tested on the weekends, with spikes during the week.

The actual percentage of positive cases verses the number of tests has been trending down for some time.

Is it time to "re-open?" I don't know. (No-one does, truthfully.) Time will tell. I'm still hiding in the basement. Haven't had time to complete the Princess mask yet, I guess the Elvis mask will have to do in the mean-time. Dumb-Guy-Tip: If you HAVE TO go to a home improvement store DO NOT GO on the weekend if you want to avoid crowds. (Dumb-Guy-Tipping for a friend... :D )

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

alas

Post by alas » Sat May 02, 2020 2:00 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:54 pm
alas wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:33 pm
wtfluff wrote:

A little birdie may have squealed on Nibbler and let me know the vicinity in which he resides: Their numbers are definitely still going up, but they are not "opening" anything back up. YET.

As far as Utah is concerned, if you look at the daily positive cases graph, it's pretty flat. Less numbers on weekends, as less folks get tested on the weekends, with spikes during the week.

The actual percentage of positive cases verses the number of tests has been trending down for some time.

Is it time to "re-open?" I don't know. (No-one does, truthfully.) Time will tell. I'm still hiding in the basement. Haven't had time to complete the Princess mask yet, I guess the Elvis mask will have to do in the mean-time. Dumb-Guy-Tip: If you HAVE TO go to a home improvement store DO NOT GO on the weekend if you want to avoid crowds. (Dumb-Guy-Tipping for a friend... :D )
As long as we are willing to accept that it never will be “safe” to go back to how things were, and are willing to make appropriate changes, it is as good of a time to open as any. But how things were spread the flu and colds with no thought that they could be fatal to some people, and now we have something that is 30 times worse than the flu, which will never really be gone from our society any more than the 1918 flu is gone. It is H1N1 and has come around again to kill people a couple of times already.

But there needs to be some permanent changes, just as we have permanent changes now that we know what causes Black Plague. We no longer treat rats as a harmless nuisance. Nope. We recognize rats as a serious health hazard and work as communities to exterminate the little buggers. Just so we need to recognize how this disease spreads and take measures to stop it from spreading.

The more I read about the problems with a vaccine, the more convinced I am that is not the answer. There isn’t going to be “herd immunity” because people are catching it a second time and actually getting sick a second time. And the more the doctors see, the more we are realizing this doesn’t just kill the old, but is causing strokes and other complications in younger folk.

So, shaking hands needs to be a thing of the past. Have we recognized this as a problem? Nope, just yesterday, at a service station/convenience store, I saw two guys who obviously were not “shelter together buddies” greet each other with a handshake and how they hadn’t seen each other in weeks.

Being inside in crowded conditions needs to end. This is going to be hard and has to be permanent, not just for a few more weeks, then back to making as much money as possible. I don’t know how movies, sports franchises, churches and so many other things we do as a society need to handle this. But we simple have to stop cramming as many people as possible into limited spaces in order to maximize profit. Take airplanes for just one example. It will be hard to make airplanes and not crowd as many people into as small of space as possible and add to that the problem of more cost, fuel, pollution, of taking fewer people per flight. Maybe we need to look seriously at our society’s habit of air travel, and actually do something. And professional basketball? Imagine the pathetic cheering with people spread six feet apart, this is just not going to happen. Private boxes like the very rich do now is one possibility, but it will up the cost of tickets which are already outrageous. Church? Smaller wards/congregations will help, but part of the appeal of the mega church is the huge crowd. There was a mega church near us in San Antonio, and I talked to some people who attended and the draw WAS the crowd all worshipping and such together. They liked the “energy” of the crowd. And the preachers like the huge crowd for the same reason basketball owners do. $$$$$. Convincing the companies simply won’t work, because they NEVER do anything that lowers their profit unless forced. And Republicans pass government regulations saying that airplanes need at least 6 ft between people, wahhhhh,ha,ha,ha,ha. We will be lucky to get better ventilation in 99.9% of the situations in which we crowd together.

If we as a society were even recognizing that some of these changes need to be permanent, then I would say we are ready to reopen. But rather than looking at how we can safely open things back up, too many people think life will go quickly back to normal. Denial is alive and well.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu May 07, 2020 2:20 pm

moksha wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:31 am
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

1,040,488 cases in the US and 4497 cases in Utah.
1,250,805 cases in the US and 5724 cases in Utah.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu May 07, 2020 6:44 pm

moksha wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:20 pm
moksha wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:31 am

1,040,488 cases in the US and 4497 cases in Utah.
Moksha is the little bird in the Grim Reaper's Cuckoo Clock.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon May 11, 2020 1:03 am

moksha wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:20 pm

1,329,799 cases in the US and 6251 in Utah.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri May 15, 2020 10:29 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:03 am

1,329,799 cases in the US and 6251 in Utah.
1,443,188 cases in the US and 6913 cases in Utah.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Tue May 19, 2020 10:52 pm

So, right now I am so angry at my husband. He just couldn’t stay home. Every god damn day he figured out somewhere or two or three that he just HAD to go. Most days it was over to visit his sister who is building a house over in La Verkin. They have already decided that they are not going to live in the house, so it isn’t even the house they will live in, so why does he have to see every little step in the construction? I told him repeatedly that he should not be going over. I told him repeatedly that SHE was the one person in the area most likely to catch corona virus because they keep going back and forth between here, the Salt Lake area, and an another house they are building at Panguitch Lake. They are constantly running to Las Vegas for building supplies, and interacting with all the workers, sheet rockers, the stucco guys, the tile guys. And, no they don’t keep social distance. What’s more, they visit all their family and have the grand kids over for a weekend, or their kids come down to work on the house with them for a weekend.

So, sure enough, she just texted us today that she tested positive for Covid 19. So, pretty sure my husband has been exposed and maybe 50/50 that I was too. She was already showing symptoms when we were both over there just three days ago, and we accepted a drink she handed us. I relaxed a bit because Washington county has had no positive tests in a week or so, and when I wouldn’t go with him to visit, he would come home with a guilt tripping message from her about don’t I like them any more. Yeah, she’s that kind of person. She voted for Trump too, so now suddenly I have stopped wishing that all the trump supporters catch it, because they are refusing to take it seriously.

What is more, across the street, we have a very fragile neighbor. COPD and 70 years old with several other medical conditions and my dear husband who just can’t stay Home has been going over every god damn day to chat and play with their new puppy.

What part of “no unnecessary social interaction“ doesn’t he get? I told him over and over until I felt like I was nagging. But he just. Could. Not. Stay. Home. I am thinking of murdering him in his sleep.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed May 20, 2020 10:13 am

alas wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:52 pm
So, right now I am so angry at my husband. He just couldn’t stay home. Every god damn day he figured out somewhere or two or three that he just HAD to go. Most days it was over to visit his sister who is building a house over in La Verkin. They have already decided that they are not going to live in the house, so it isn’t even the house they will live in, so why does he have to see every little step in the construction? I told him repeatedly that he should not be going over. I told him repeatedly that SHE was the one person in the area most likely to catch corona virus because they keep going back and forth between here, the Salt Lake area, and an another house they are building at Panguitch Lake. They are constantly running to Las Vegas for building supplies, and interacting with all the workers, sheet rockers, the stucco guys, the tile guys. And, no they don’t keep social distance. What’s more, they visit all their family and have the grand kids over for a weekend, or their kids come down to work on the house with them for a weekend.

So, sure enough, she just texted us today that she tested positive for Covid 19. So, pretty sure my husband has been exposed and maybe 50/50 that I was too. She was already showing symptoms when we were both over there just three days ago, and we accepted a drink she handed us. I relaxed a bit because Washington county has had no positive tests in a week or so, and when I wouldn’t go with him to visit, he would come home with a guilt tripping message from her about don’t I like them any more. Yeah, she’s that kind of person. She voted for Trump too, so now suddenly I have stopped wishing that all the trump supporters catch it, because they are refusing to take it seriously.

What is more, across the street, we have a very fragile neighbor. COPD and 70 years old with several other medical conditions and my dear husband who just can’t stay Home has been going over every god damn day to chat and play with their new puppy.

What part of “no unnecessary social interaction“ doesn’t he get? I told him over and over until I felt like I was nagging. But he just. Could. Not. Stay. Home. I am thinking of murdering him in his sleep.
I am sorry, Alas. I hope neither of you contracted it. Completely understand your frustration with your husband.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph