What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Wonderment

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by Wonderment » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:06 pm

Here's what the CDC is actually saying about masks:

Source Control to Block Exhaled Virus
Multi-layer cloth masks block release of exhaled respiratory particles into the environment,3-6 along with the microorganisms these particles carry.7,8 Cloth masks not only effectively block most large droplets (i.e., 20-30 microns and larger)9 but they can also block the exhalation of fine droplets and particles (also often referred to as aerosols) smaller than 10 microns ;3,5 which increase in number with the volume of speech10-12 and specific types of phonation.13 Multi-layer cloth masks can both block up to 50-70% of these fine droplets and particles3,14 and limit the forward spread of those that are not captured.5,6,15,16 Upwards of 80% blockage has been achieved in human experiments that have measured blocking of all respiratory droplets,4 with cloth masks in some studies performing on par with surgical masks as barriers for source control.3,9,14

Filtration for Personal Protection
Studies demonstrate that cloth mask materials can also reduce wearers’ exposure to infectious droplets through filtration, including filtration of fine droplets and particles less than 10 microns. The relative filtration effectiveness of various masks has varied widely across studies, in large part due to variation in experimental design and particle sizes analyzed. Multiple layers of cloth with higher thread counts have demonstrated superior performance compared to single layers of cloth with lower thread counts, in some cases filtering nearly 50% of fine particles less than 1 micron .14,17-29 Some materials (e.g., polypropylene) may enhance filtering effectiveness by generating triboelectric charge (a form of static electricity) that enhances capture of charged particles18,30 while others (e.g., silk) may help repel moist droplets31 and reduce fabric wetting and thus maintain breathability and comfort.

They cite 45 studies in the References: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... -cov2.html
Excellent, Hagoth. Thank you for setting the record straight. - Wndr.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:49 am

glass shelf wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:54 am
Cnsl1 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:53 am
About half of us wear masks.
Wait. Is there no mask mandate in AZ? This is so irresponsible either way.
AZ has gone back and forth, and a lot depends on the county. There was a mask mandate, it was relaxed, now it's back on but it is not enforced. In urban areas, businesses open to the public state that masks are required and compliance seems pretty high. In the rural areas, I'm not seeing signs on all businesses and compliance seems about 75%. In church, like I said, masks are worn by about half of us. I think, though I'm not sure, that the reason for poorer compliance is because most of the people at church are very conservative politically and buy in to some of the anti mask rhetoric. There is also a big difference in how various school districts across the state handle and address positive cases.

While AZ clearly voted blue this time around--something we haven't done for many many years--there are definitely more red counties overall, and it seems these areas are the ones most lax in mask wearing. These are typically the more rural counties, so have been less susceptible to the virus but are now seeing an increase in cases and probably because they have been lazy or noncompliant with masks.

I will say that those on the stand at church--the bishopric, the speakers, and any visiting stake leaders-- always wear masks while sitting on the stand, but nearly always take them off when they come up to the mic.

hmb

Post by hmb » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Monday, my next door neighbor was taken by ambulance to the closest available bed in an ICU. They had to drive half way across the state because there are no beds locally. He got the last bed in the hospital where he ended up. It's a big mess in Ohio. I feel so bad for his wife because she is all alone and will be alone for Thanksgiving, but quarantine and safety don't allow for a visit. I called her and so far so good. We have plenty of people refusing to wear masks, and flaunt it, around here.

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:15 pm

oliblish wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:52 pm
alas wrote:
oliblish wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:50 pm
My son-in-law just got a positive test. My wife is sick and can't taste or smell anything. I am showing symptoms now as well. We are getting tested tomorrow.
The lack of taste and smell is an indication that it is COVID. Flu never gives you that symptom. I hope it is mild and you and yours recover quickly with no lingering effects.
Came back positive for both of us. So far symptoms are relatively mild. So far so good...
Happy to report that we are all feeling better now. We have been quarantined for a couple of weeks. Some of us were pretty sick for a couple of days, but nothing major. We are having a limited thanksgiving tomorrow with only those who tested positive are coming.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:48 pm

26 Utah deaths from COVID-19 Wednesday, and 1,781 new cases.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Newme

Post by Newme » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:46 pm

Masks help stop spit, but they don’t stop small virus particles which pass via respiration (I feel silly explaining the obvious). When you wear a mask, you can still breathe in and out. Where do you think the air comes from and goes to?

Denmark study of +6,000 participants masks don’t work in preventing covid
https://thefederalist.com/2020/11/18/ma ... ion-rates/

Masks are harmful
https://www.jennifermargulis.net/wearin ... ur-health/

Also, remember that most (Italy study found 99%) of people who supposedly die of covid actually died of other pre-existing health complications.

Come on guys, you got over cognitive dissonance once. You can do it again, can’t you??

shrugged

What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by shrugged » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:48 pm

Newme wrote: Denmark study of +6,000 participants masks don’t work in preventing covid
If we’re going to discuss the Danish study, let’s at least cite the actual study and the authors’ report, not a write up by The Federalist.

The study was inconclusive. The 95% confidence interval for infection rate was between a 43% reduction and a 23% increase. So the study didn’t prove they protect the wearer but it also didn’t disprove they offer protection. The study was done in an environment where mask wearing was uncommon so it doesn’t address universal mask wearing. And the study did nothing to test whether masks reduce transmission through source control. What most of us have been saying is the primary purpose of masks.

In the conclusion of the study,
“Our results suggest that the recommendation to wear a surgical mask when outside the home among others did not reduce, at conventional levels of statistical significance, the incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection in mask wearers in a setting where social distancing and other public health measures were in effect, mask recommendations were not among those measures, and community use of masks was uncommon. Yet, the findings were inconclusive and cannot definitively exclude a 46% reduction to a 23% increase in infection of mask wearers in such a setting. It is important to emphasize that this trial did not address the effects of masks as source control or as protection in settings where social distancing and other public health measures are not in effect.

Reduction in release of virus from infected persons into the environment may be the mechanism for mitigation of transmission in communities where mask use is common or mandated, as noted in observational studies. Thus, these findings do not provide data on the effectiveness of widespread mask wearing in the community in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections. They do, however, offer evidence about the degree of protection mask wearers can anticipate in a setting where others are not wearing masks and where other public health measures, including social distancing, are in effect. The findings also suggest that persons should not abandon other COVID-19 safety measures regardless of the use of masks. While we await additional data to inform mask recommendations, communities must balance the seriousness of COVID-19, uncertainty about the degree of source control and protective effect, and the absence of data suggesting serious adverse effects of masks (45).”

alas

Post by alas » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:34 pm

Newme wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:46 pm
Masks help stop spit, but they don’t stop small virus particles which pass via respiration (I feel silly explaining the obvious). When you wear a mask, you can still breathe in and out. Where do you think the air comes from and goes to?

Denmark study of +6,000 participants masks don’t work in preventing covid

Masks are harmful
https://www.jennifermargulis.net/wearin ... ur-health/

Also, remember that most (Italy study found 99%) of people who supposedly die of covid actually died of other pre-existing health complications.

Come on guys, you got over cognitive dissonance once. You can do it again, can’t you??
No cognitive dissonance. We don’t listen to the “news” stations that distort everything, but do our own research into actual studies that been done and the general findings are that no, a mask won’t absolutely protect you in many situations, but it will slow down those particles leaving my mouth before they reach yours. Slow it down, reduce the risk. Which is why people were also told not to visit relative for Thanksgiving, and why sitting for hours in a crowded movie theater is a pretty good way to catch COVID, even if everybody is wearing masks.

Masks are NOT harmful. Unless you have a serious breathing problem, then you REALLY need that extra bit of protection the mask can give you because catching COVID will kill you.

And the underlying conditions...good god you are distorting that. Say you have a heart condition and are on blood thinners and I shoot you. You bleed out because of the blood thinners. Did the bullet kill you or did your underlying condition? Well duh. The bullet killed you and your underlying condition made what you very well might have survived into something that would kill you. But the bullet still killed you even though if you had not been on blood thinners you might have lived. Yes, in a way it is the combination, but if you had not been shot, the blood thinners would not have killed you. That is how “underlying conditions”work.

Get off your news channel that lies to you.

hmb

Post by hmb » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:31 am

No one has said that masks will stop the transmission of Covid, but that it will help to slow it down. We are supposed to do ALL we can to help mitigate the spread. If we use masks in public, do our best to distance ourselves from others, and practice good hygiene, we will be doing our part. Instead of fighting it, why not just endure the inconvenience out of respect for human life? It's a pain in the butt, but it is not forever. Masks are not about stopping the virus, but making the transmission much more manageable. If we slow it down, many more who would have contracted it, won't. Look at the hospitals now. They are becoming full. They can treat the virus and save many more lives than last spring, but if they have to pick and choose who gets treatment, more will die. Why is this hard to understand?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:04 am

I don't get it, Newme. Why are you people so upset at the idea of someone wearing a mask because they want to help protect others? So the Denmark study says masks reduce COVID transmission rates by up to 50%? That is pretty significant. What if it's only 20%. Still significant.

I only text while driving half of the time, so there's only a 50% chance that I will kill someone.

If I have a cut there's a possibility that I will get an infection even if I do wear a bandage, but if there is a reasonable chance that a bandage will prevent an infection why would I not wear one, even if I don't like wearing bandaids or the other kids tell me it's not cool? What if (hypothetical, of course) there was only a slight chance that a bandaid would protect me from an infection but somehow there's a 50% chance that it would protect other people from getting my infection?

Please read the CDC's assessment of the ability of masks to impede the transmission of droplets. You are trying to black-and-white this into spitting VS. transmitting individual COVID virus bodies. That ain't how it works.

Really, it is beyond me why people are so outraged at the thought of putting up with a minor, temporary personal inconvenience for the benefit of their community because of political/ideological attitudes. And then to have the audacity to call demean people for trying to be thoughtful to others. There are people praying for their sick loved ones. I don't believe the praying will change anything but I respect their thoughtfulness and desire to help. I would not ridicule them for doing it. BUT what if their was reliable evidence that their prayers were actually up to 50% effective? Holy cow! What if they were only 20% effective? I would be cheering them on, regardless of what my religious or political echo chamber has to say about it.

Putting on a mask when you are in close proximity with other people just isn't a serious hardship. The law says I have to wear pants in public. Maybe I don't want to wear pants today but I'm not going to have a tantrum about it or show up at the Capitol waving an AR-15. Especially if I know I'm only going to be required to wear pants for a few more months.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:06 am

14,956,227 COVID-19 cases in the US. 283,747 deaths
217,638 cases in Utah. 949 deaths and ICUs are full.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:59 pm

I got sick over the weekend and got tested as part of going to the doc. My test results are positive. So despite my efforts, I am a plague carrier.

With the BS going on in my area over Covid, I'm annoyed but not surprised.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

shrugged

Post by shrugged » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:03 pm

Just This Guy wrote:I got sick over the weekend and got tested as part of going to the doc. My test results are positive. So despite my efforts, I am a plague carrier.

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:09 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:59 pm
I got sick over the weekend and got tested as part of going to the doc. My test results are positive. So despite my efforts, I am a plague carrier.

Sorry to hear it. Please keep us informed!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

hmb

Post by hmb » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:04 am

Just This Guy wrote:

Sorry to hear. It's too bad that efforts aren't practiced by all. It isn't like the seatbelt law that mainly affects those who choose to ignore or rebel. I hope your symptoms are mild. Let us know.

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:52 am

Just This Guy wrote:

Oh no! Sorry to hear it Just This Guy. I hope it is a mild case with no lingering effects.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:48 pm

Just This Guy wrote:

Please take care of yourself as best you can.

Keep us updated if possible?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:12 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:48 pm
Just This Guy wrote:

Please take care of yourself as best you can.

Keep us updated if possible?
What he said...

Any updates from Oliblish?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:05 pm

Just This Guy -- Sorry to hear that you are ill with the virus. Please take care, get better soon, and keep us posted on how you're doing. Sending healing energy to you ! -- Wndr.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:56 pm

2,928 more COVID-19 cases, 19 deaths reported Wednesday 12/16 in Utah.
-- Moksha