What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Newme

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by Newme » Sun May 31, 2020 11:50 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:41 pm
What are you doing to protect YOUR family...
1) Avoiding BS news...

https://youtu.be/rUDP6e5N9gw

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun May 31, 2020 1:12 pm

Newme wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:45 am
Random wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:44 am
Spot on in your comments in this thread, Newme.
Thanks, Random.

I wish I was wrong.
Maybe you are:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fac ... 919503001/

It's good to keep in mind that there are many, many coronaviruses. This patent is not for a human-borne virus.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun May 31, 2020 1:53 pm

Newme wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:50 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:41 pm
What are you doing to protect YOUR family...
1) Avoiding BS news...

https://youtu.be/rUDP6e5N9gw
Whao, that's awesome!

I'm going to hazard a guess that these are all Sinclair outlets. I know some of them are, like our own KUTV in SLC. I watch that one fairly regularly and it's usually pretty obvious when they are just slamming a Sinclair-controlled message down the pipe. I like when they read the mandatory Sinclair messages late at night, outside of their regular newscasting, because the message is so blatantly biased.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun May 31, 2020 2:18 pm

Newme wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:39 am
They are hoping to fund and be legally allowed to come into your home and force quarantine - in other facilites.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-con ... /6666/text
I dunno, it looks like that bill is designed to fund medical programs to bring tests and tracking questionnaires to the doors of people in hotspots so they don't have to leave their houses if they don't want to. It also provides for personal protective gear for the people risking their health to come to your door and specifies that the jobs should be provided to local people whenever possible. It specifically specifies that "nothing in this section shall be construed to supersede any Federal privacy or confidentiality requirement..."

I guess I'm not seeing the evil conspiracy here. I'm not saying there isn't one, but without a scare-tactic pundit telling me what I should read into this I don't see anything particularly sinister.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:54 am

Newme wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:45 am
Random wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:44 am
Spot on in your comments in this thread, Newme.
Thanks, Random.

I wish I was wrong.
Nope, not spot on. Tell my neighbor who lost an uncle and a brother-in-law to COVID that this is all a ruse, and the pandemic is being misreported. COVID-19 is not the first coronavirus, there is a reason it is called COVID-19, a patent from 2014 involving coronavirus doesn't make me all that suspicious. Will the government use the pandemic as an excuse for a power grab? Maybe, but let's not peddle the fiction that the pandemic isn't really happening.

My hell, people, do you have any idea how insensitive talk like this is to people who have actually lost family members in the pandemic?
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:53 am

Still trending up in Utah. I want to go visit my new niece, but...nope. Utah thinks they are yellow and they are red

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:17 am

1,831,821 cases in the US, and 10,202 in Utah.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:25 pm

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

alas

Post by alas » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:20 pm

Their economy is just as damaged as the countries that went on full lock down and had fewer deaths. That gives the people who want to open up before Covid is under control something to think about. It is not the lockdown killing the economy, but fear of catching it.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:04 pm

I'll see if I can find it, but about a month ago, I read an article that said the economy would have been harder hit had there been no lock down. Coronavirus would have torn through the entire workforce and people would be too sick to work and the economy would have really been mired.

In Hong Kong it is against the law to report to work with a fever over 38 degrees celsius (100.4 fahrenheit). Good law.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:09 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:54 am
My hell, people, do you have any idea how insensitive talk like this is to people who have actually lost family members in the pandemic?
I apologize if it sounds insensitive. There is no doubt in my mind that the virus has killed people. It's a real virus. It's a real danger to the old and to the weak (diabetics, those with heart disease, and so on).

What I see is it being overhyped as if it is the black plague. If the hype was true, literally a million Americans would be dead from it, and several million would be in hospitals all over the country. That didn't happen. In fact, from what I understand, a lot of people got it and showed no symptoms, which lowers the death rate even more.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:16 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:04 pm
I'll see if I can find it, but about a month ago, I read an article that said the economy would have been harder hit had there been no lock down. Coronavirus would have torn through the entire workforce and people would be too sick to work and the economy would have really been mired.

In Hong Kong it is against the law to report to work with a fever over 38 degrees celsius (100.4 fahrenheit). Good law.
That's the kind of thing I've heard, and that's what my dd (who works in health care) says. What I see, though, is a lot of people not wearing masks and people still going to stores, and so forth (and deliveries are probably at an all time high: restaurants, DoorDash, appliance repair people, delivery people of all kinds, etc.). There are and were still plenty of room for the infection to rage out of control and kill 50-100x the amount of people it has, and to infect nearly every person here.

Imo, if the hype is real, there could not have been such a large turnout at the riots we had over the weekend because most of those people would have been sick in bed, if not in the hospital.

And I reiterate what I said in my post above. I know the illness is a real one. I know people have died from it. How many is controversial, as some people were officially labeled dead from it that, according to family, were dying from other causes. Do I know the truth? Not any moreso than any other ordinary person.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:57 pm

Random wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:16 pm
Give It Time wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:04 pm

That's the kind of thing I've heard, and that's what my dd (who works in health care) says. What I see, though, is a lot of people not wearing masks and people still going to stores, and so forth (and deliveries are probably at an all time high: restaurants, DoorDash, appliance repair people, delivery people of all kinds, etc.). There are and were still plenty of room for the infection to rage out of control and kill 50-100x the amount of people it has, and to infect nearly every person here.

Imo, if the hype is real, there could not have been such a large turnout at the riots we had over the weekend because most of those people would have been sick in bed, if not in the hospital.

And I reiterate what I said in my post above. I know the illness is a real one. I know people have died from it. How many is controversial, as some people were officially labeled dead from it that, according to family, were dying from other causes. Do I know the truth? Not any moreso than any other ordinary person.
What you've said here is interesting and I've been thinking about it the past 24 hours. Please pardon me if I phrase this imperfectly, but it sounds like what you are saying is that coronavirus was a co-morbidity leading to their death, rather than the other way around. Is that right? I know there are many people who were already older and in assisted living who have succumbed to it, but there are also very many who may have not been the very picture of youthful, vibrant health who are getting it and succumbing to it. They may have not been completely healthy, but they certainly weren't dying, either.

As someone who considers myself to be one of those who may not be the picture of vibrant, youthful health, I'd rather not get this thing. Or at least, I prefer to get a more mild case. So, if people are saying this is a hoax, do they include the people who still have a good 10-20 years or more left? Or are they counting them as ones who are already dying, anyway? It's also my understanding that even some of the mild cases can still be quite bad. I've heard people complaining of having mild cases more than a month ago and they are still have days where they are drained. Moderate cases can be hospitalized for weeks. When I was hospitalized for pneumonia, I was in for about 24 hours and the bill came to $6,000. I shudder to think what a bill for weeks in the hospital would be. When I was discharged from the hospital, they gave me a thick packet of post-discharge instructions and information. They said that the first six months after discharge from the hospital a person is more likely to commit suicide. At the time I half joked about the reason for that being having to pay the bills.

After I was discharged, they had me on oxygen for awhile. That was not covered by insurance. It wouldn't surprise me if a large number of people who have had this now have extra medical needs that aren't covered by insurance. So, yes, there has been a lot of hype around this. Lots of concentration on the number of deaths. However, I think the true story of devastation, long term, are going to be the more mild cases.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:23 pm

Random wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:09 pm
What I see is it being overhyped as if it is the black plague. If the hype was true, literally a million Americans would be dead from it, and several million would be in hospitals all over the country. That didn't happen. In fact, from what I understand, a lot of people got it and showed no symptoms, which lowers the death rate even more.
Or... The "shelter in place," "social distancing," and the few people wearing masks in public actually worked to control the spread of the virus. In fact, the numbers in Utah seem to show this. After Memorial Day - and after Utah has lowered the "risk level" and folks seem to have relaxed, the number of positive cases is going up, along with the percentage rate of positive infections vs. tests.

In a week or two, we'll know if the crowds at the protests have increased cases. and as deaths lag 2 or 3 weeks or more behind infections, in a month or so Utah could have a lot more deaths. I've been wrong before, let's hope I'm wrong again.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Random

Post by Random » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:53 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:57 pm
snip
You bring up good points.

I was saying that already being infirm makes it more possible to die from the virus. I, personally, don't view it as more dangerous than the flu that goes around every year-yet said flu does kill people, usually the infirm.

For those affected, the possibility is 100%. I don't intend (and never did) to downplay those who have been adversely affected by the illness (still, many of those proven infected have mild or no symptoms at all).

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:23 pm
Or... The "shelter in place," "social distancing," and the few people wearing masks in public actually worked to control the spread of the virus. In fact, the numbers in Utah seem to show this. After Memorial Day - and after Utah has lowered the "risk level" and folks seem to have relaxed, the number of positive cases is going up, along with the percentage rate of positive infections vs. tests.
That's what many believe (shelter in place, etc.), and I see a reason to believe that. Obviously, fewer people will get sick if they aren't out infecting each other. But what if part of the increase is because there are more tests and more people being tested?

But there were and are plenty of people being around each other. At stores, delivery services, and so forth (though delivery services, for the most part, have not had contact with those they deliver to; still food delivery services have food that has been around more people than if the food had not been ordered at all).

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:23 pm
In a week or two, we'll know if the crowds at the protests have increased cases. and as deaths lag 2 or 3 weeks or more behind infections, in a month or so Utah could have a lot more deaths. I've been wrong before, let's hope I'm wrong again.
I am also interested in knowing if cases will increase in a week or two. From the videos I've seen of protestors, they were wearing masks, but they obviously weren't social distancing.

PK

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:23 pm

Random wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:53 pm
But what if part of the increase is because there are more tests and more people being tested?
Actually, if you look at the data that Utah posts on their website, more people are not being tested.

The peak of people being tested was April 20th: with a little over 5700 tests, and if you look at the graph, the "curve" basically goes down from there. Yesterday there were ~2900 tests, and ~540 positives equal to 18% positive. The highest number of positive tests in UT since the pandemic began, with fairly low numbers of people being tested.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Random

Post by Random » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:39 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:23 pm
Actually, if you look at the data that Utah posts on their website, more people are not being tested.

The peak of people being tested was April 20th: with a little over 5700 tests, and if you look at the graph, the "curve" basically goes down from there. Yesterday there were ~2900 tests, and ~540 positives equal to 18% positive. The highest number of positive tests in UT since the pandemic began, with fairly low numbers of people being tested.
Okay, I didn't know that. I haven't looked at the site lately and from what I was told, it sounded to me like more people were being tested now. My bad for relying on memory instead of looking at the site. Thanks for the correction.

PK

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:47 am

Um, can I make a statement here? As someone who went to pick up a kid in Utah in March to bring her home, I saw firsthand how little care Utahns were taking during the pandemic. Now, granted, it was at the beginning when nobody was sure how dangerous this would be, but I was pretty happy to bring my kid home where they were taking things a bit more seriously. And I'm very grateful today that my kid is here.

So we all like data rather than opinion, correct? It's half the reason we're all on here, because we prioritize facts and evidence over feelings. So the latest numbers in my province are these: With a population of 14.7 million people, today there were 243 active cases of covid-19, and the premier of my province was livid that the numbers are still that high. Contrast with Utah, with a population of 3.2 million people, and yesterday there were 546 new cases. So we have 5 times the population of Utah, and almost half the new cases than ya'll. That's a problem. When even Dan Peterson pleads with his fellow freedom' lovin' saints to lock it down a bit more, you know its a problem.

Keep safe, Morirdor NOMies!
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:39 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:47 am
Um, can I make a statement here? As someone who went to pick up a kid in Utah in March to bring her home, I saw firsthand how little care Utahns were taking during the pandemic. Now, granted, it was at the beginning when nobody was sure how dangerous this would be, but I was pretty happy to bring my kid home where they were taking things a bit more seriously. And I'm very grateful today that my kid is here.

So we all like data rather than opinion, correct? It's half the reason we're all on here, because we prioritize facts and evidence over feelings. So the latest numbers in my province are these: With a population of 14.7 million people, today there were 243 active cases of covid-19, and the premier of my province was livid that the numbers are still that high. Contrast with Utah, with a population of 3.2 million people, and yesterday there were 546 new cases. So we have 5 times the population of Utah, and almost half the new cases than ya'll. That's a problem. When even Dan Peterson pleads with his fellow freedom' lovin' saints to lock it down a bit more, you know its a problem.

Keep safe, Morirdor NOMies!
Thank you.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:26 am

I have a co-worker who is late 20s/early 30s. In late March her aunt and her grandfather were hospitalized with Coronavirus. Her grandfather recovered while her aunt remained in the hospital. I inquired about her aunt about a month later. She was still in the hospital. Not good news. Things were pretty much the same. Not good news. The definition of a person having recovered from Coronavirus is their having survived three weeks past their diagnosis. So, her aunt was probably counted as one who recovered, even though she was still in the hospital.

I just found out, this morning, my co-worker's aunt died. Her family could not be around her. I'm told the funeral was a social distancing affair and people weren't able to comfort each other with hugs and closeness. My co-worker's aunt would probably have been 40-60 year's old. Right now, she's one of the 18 in Utah County that this disease took.

I am currently very angry, because there are so many people who aren't taking this seriously or, like my sister and her husband, believe in obtaining herd immunity--just a more politically correct term for "thin the herd". This is my first effort at processing this and I really don't intend to write too much more here about this, but I wanted to give you an update, because this very long thread exists and that means there is interest in how this disease is proceeding.

Alas, you're still around and it sounds like you're doing well. I hope you and your husband are still healthy. I haven't checked the calendar to see if it's been two weeks, but I know it was awhile ago.