What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:41 pm

Home teacher texted asking “What are you doing to protect your family from the virus?”

Umm... washing my hands, stock piling food, and staying home from church! Then I’m praying my 401K recovers! :lol:

What are you NOMmies doing to protect YOUR family from the virus?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Linked

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by Linked » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:44 pm

We are no longer planning to go on a cruise for spring break. And Disneyland will have to wait for this to blow over.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

græy

Post by græy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:28 pm

We are washing hands a lot, and we've stocked up on non-perishable foods, hand-sanitizer, tissues/tp, cold/flue meds, etc.
Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:41 pm
Then I’m praying my 401K recoverers! :lol:
And yes, that too! I have time for 401k to bounce back, no worries there. However, I started playing with my own stock investments back in mid 2019. I was up almost 35% and then this week happened. I sold out at +5%, and watched a few of my stocks recover after selling. :|
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:15 pm

Staying away from people is the real answer. I think not going going to church is a prevention for any virus.
My family is now stowed away deep in the earth in an atomic blast shelter. We have enough food, water, ammo, and KY Jelly to last for 2 years. Don’t all Mormons have a bomb shelter?
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:41 pm

I'm in the MORmON corridor, so I''m stockpiling Whiskey, and Caffeinated Soda (Both diet, and full-strength, but mostly diet.)

I'll be able to trade the Whiskey with the non-MORmONs for whatever they might have. (Rum & Vodka?)

The caffeinated soda: I'll trade that with the MORmOns for their food storage. Once the caffeine withdrawals set in for those folks, I'll have all the hard red winter wheat, guns, ammo, awesome corn-syrup jam with a tiny bit of fruit flavoring in it that you can get from the Bishop's storehouse, #10 cans of potato pearls, freeze-dried carrots and oatmeal that I need. I should probably trade something for a grinder for that damn wheat too. I'm not sure my little coffee-bean grinder is gonna cut it.

Yes, that was all satire. (Kind of.)

Actually: Like others have mentioned, some extra non-perishable essentials, and I'm praying to the Holy Spaghetti Squash that my family member's and neighbor's magic polygamy pantaloons will protect me and the rest of my non-magic-underwear wearing family.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:09 am

A large pack of macaroni and cheese. I also have two happy dogs IF needed for more protein ;)

I have a bunch of R95 masks from when I spray paint things.

Lots of hand sanitizer because I am surrounded by gross teenage students all day long. This years group is super touchy, lots of hand holding and weird handshakes (mostly boys). It would spread like fire in my school.

Six seasons on Northern Exposure on DVD.

A few cases of beer, and 25 gallons of ethanol free gas for the generator.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:13 pm

I post memes making fun of the shortage of N95 masks and also how we need a new plague.

On a more serious note, I took a pack of lysol wipes to the office for more frequent decon and take a bit more care in washing my hands more thoroughly.

Otherwise, with a 2% fatality rate on this latest virus and many infected being asymptomatic, I just don't fret much over it.

Keeping your cars filled above half tank all the time is good practice, as is having all the basics covered in case of infrastructure disruption. Common sense.

My feeling is the fear and hype about it will be more disruptive than the actual bug.

Note: Remember, if you are prepared for a zombie apocolypse, you are prepared for anything.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:21 pm

Would it be over the line to urge my ward members to stock up on extra virgin olive oil so we can do healing blessings?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:33 pm

Corsair wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:21 pm
Would it be over the line to urge my ward members to stock up on extra virgin olive oil so we can do healing blessings?
Absolutely not. You ARE an olive oil salesperson, correct? ;)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:33 pm

2% is too high a fatality rate for my comfort. I know and love many older folks and disabled folks who are at high risk should it sweep through.

I am cautiously encouraging my kids to wash hands more, touch faces less. Feeding them probiotics and vitamins to shore up immune systems (doing that anyway after bouts of strep recently). Buying a case of bottled water, making sure we have TP, paper towels, canned foods and propane on hand with every shopping trip--within reason. I don't have a ton of food because we mostly eat fresh, so replenishing my pantry more than I'm "prepping".

We have international travel planned. Im assuming it will be over by then, not changing plans.

Ignoring the stock market other than buying extra shares on sale. I buy on a regular schedule so ups and downs are absorbed.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:30 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:33 pm
Corsair wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:21 pm
Absolutely not. You ARE an olive oil salesperson, correct? ;)
I wish that this was a viable way to make money. It would imply that consecrated oil had some certifiable effects.

alas

Post by alas » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:37 am

I agree that a two % death rate is too high. And considering that for diabetics, the death rate is closer to 50/50 I don’t want to take chances if it gets into my area. Hubby and I are both high risk because of age and being diabetic. We talked, and if it gets into our area, we have the freedom to disappear to a cabin above Bear Lake and live off food storage with only occasional grocery shopping. Retirement and being older, puts you in a height risk group, but you are not obligated to be around people on a constant basis at work and school. We do have international travel planned for this August and next year in July, and so far are not planning on canceling. But August is a cruise, and as that Princess ship proved, cruises are floating Petri dishes, so we may change our minds depending on how bad things get.

So, we haven’t done anything different yet, but we might change some plans.

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:42 am

Washing hands often. First bumps--no handshakes.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:56 am

I’m refusing all hugs, except from the missus and the occasional grand kid. 😎
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:14 am

I've been wondering about passing the communion sacrament as a means of infection. Having all preparers, blessers, servers, and partakers wearing gloves and masks would help in situations of contagion.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:16 am

moksha wrote:I've been wondering about passing the communion sacrament as a means of infection. Having all preparers, blessers, servers, and partakers wearing gloves and masks would help in situations of contagion.
Better yet, cancel church until the vaccine comes out.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:18 am

deacon blues wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:56 am
I’m refusing all hugs, except from the missus and the occasional grand kid. 😎
Little kids can be high titer carriers of viruses. Got to love and be cautious of those tiny plague carriers with their runny noses and sticky hands!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:43 pm

I live in the PNW and in a community next door to one that’s made headlines. This weekend has been crazy with the ways people have been shopping, wearing masks, etc. (What’s with the toilet paper? Do people really not have enough TP for a couple weeks?) Many companies and some schools are shut down for cleaning. After church meetings this morning, my husband came back saying that since the priests use an antibacterial wipe before preparing the sacrament, it was decided that it was no big deal.

The way I see it: I have to take one of my kids to the doctor tomorrow for a minor medical reason. It will just be me and him, we’ll be careful to wash hands and not touch our faces or various surfaces, etc. If the receptionist at the doctor’s office handed me a bowl of M&Ms and said, “Take some! Everyone's doing it!” I’d decline. I see the sacrament as no different. I go to church weekly to support my husband, but I’m not going to something I don’t believe in and don’t care about when there’s a major illness about. I’ll take my kid to the doctor tomorrow, but not to church. So, I didn’t go to church today but my husband and our oldest went (that kid loves church, I don’t know what I did to get a kid like that).

We’ll see what happens and how big this gets. I’m kind of expecting we’ll get the virus. Once it’s in the schools, I don’t see how it can’t spread like crazy. We were supposed to buy tickets to Europe, but it’s put on hold for now. Most of all, I’m very grateful that this didn’t happen two years ago when my youngest had a medical condition. We quarantined him then because he couldn’t have his surgeries if he was ill and he was high-risk (we even had to cancel his first surgery because he came down with something from primary). I know that there are a lot of people out there who are in that circumstance (one being my brother), and I really feel for them. Wash your hands! Stay home if you’re sick!

alas

Post by alas » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:18 pm

My brother is a doctor and he just sent a text out to everybody on his list saying it is for “everybody I care about, and if I don’t like you, please stop reading now.”

He says that 2% death rate may go up or down as the virus mutates as it adjusts to infecting humans. How contagious it is will mutate with it most likely becoming more contagious. He says masks do not help prevent you from breathing in the virus because the most common way to get it is touching a surface someone has sneezed on, then touching your mouth or nose. The masks are to catch virus when an infected person sneakers or coughs. If you are sick or might be infected, then wear a mask. Otherwise, they do no good. It is transmitted finger to face, so wash hands frequently and get in the habit of keeping your hands away from your face. He really repeated washing hands.

He talked a lot about how corona virus is related to the viruses that can cause colds and is transmitted the same way.

His final bit of advice is to buy stock in Clorox.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:35 pm

The first thing I'm doing is to avoid freaking out.

The common flu kills over half a million people a year. Yes, we all need to be very cautious and proactive with this thing but we should not freak out until we start seeing those kinds of numbers. Unfortunately, the stock market goes into freak-out mode at the drop of a hat. I have lost a significant portion of my retirement in the last week and this virus hasn't put the pedal to the metal yet. I fear that the number of deaths from COVID-19 compared to other diseases may be scratching the surface of potential long term harm if the market continues to act like a little old lady at a Megadeth concert.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."