What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
alas

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by alas » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:13 am

Give It Time wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:26 am
I have a co-worker who is late 20s/early 30s. In late March her aunt and her grandfather were hospitalized with Coronavirus. Her grandfather recovered while her aunt remained in the hospital. I inquired about her aunt about a month later. She was still in the hospital. Not good news. Things were pretty much the same. Not good news. The definition of a person having recovered from Coronavirus is their having survived three weeks past their diagnosis. So, her aunt was probably counted as one who recovered, even though she was still in the hospital.

I just found out, this morning, my co-worker's aunt died. Her family could not be around her. I'm told the funeral was a social distancing affair and people weren't able to comfort each other with hugs and closeness. My co-worker's aunt would probably have been 40-60 year's old. Right now, she's one of the 18 in Utah County that this disease took.

I am currently very angry, because there are so many people who aren't taking this seriously or, like my sister and her husband, believe in obtaining herd immunity--just a more politically correct term for "thin the herd". This is my first effort at processing this and I really don't intend to write too much more here about this, but I wanted to give you an update, because this very long thread exists and that means there is interest in how this disease is proceeding.

Alas, you're still around and it sounds like you're doing well. I hope you and your husband are still healthy. I haven't checked the calendar to see if it's been two weeks, but I know it was awhile ago.
Yes, we are doing great. It has been the two weeks and no symptoms. Which made me wonder, did my daughter have covid and I caught it from her, way too early in this for me to even think it could be covid? My daughter worked for about 6 weeks in New York and people were getting sick with what they were calling that cruise ship virus. Too early for it to have a name. Anyway, she got back from New York and we saw her. Then she got sick with something that hung on and the doc dismissed as bronchitis. But antibiotics didn’t help and she was sick for over a month and people around her were getting sick. But this was too early for Utah to have any tests and they would only test if you were in hospital. Well, I got sick with something that was not flu or a cold. Fever, aches, chest pain. I was sick about two weeks. So, in thinking about it, we wonder if we didn’t catch it from my dh’s sister because we had already had it. ??????? Anyway, his sister is finally over it, but still has lingering chest pain and tiredness.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:58 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:13 am
Give It Time wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:26 am
I have a co-worker who is late 20s/early 30s. In late March her aunt and her grandfather were hospitalized with Coronavirus. Her grandfather recovered while her aunt remained in the hospital. I inquired about her aunt about a month later. She was still in the hospital. Not good news. Things were pretty much the same. Not good news. The definition of a person having recovered from Coronavirus is their having survived three weeks past their diagnosis. So, her aunt was probably counted as one who recovered, even though she was still in the hospital.

I just found out, this morning, my co-worker's aunt died. Her family could not be around her. I'm told the funeral was a social distancing affair and people weren't able to comfort each other with hugs and closeness. My co-worker's aunt would probably have been 40-60 year's old. Right now, she's one of the 18 in Utah County that this disease took.

I am currently very angry, because there are so many people who aren't taking this seriously or, like my sister and her husband, believe in obtaining herd immunity--just a more politically correct term for "thin the herd". This is my first effort at processing this and I really don't intend to write too much more here about this, but I wanted to give you an update, because this very long thread exists and that means there is interest in how this disease is proceeding.

Alas, you're still around and it sounds like you're doing well. I hope you and your husband are still healthy. I haven't checked the calendar to see if it's been two weeks, but I know it was awhile ago.
Yes, we are doing great. It has been the two weeks and no symptoms. Which made me wonder, did my daughter have covid and I caught it from her, way too early in this for me to even think it could be covid? My daughter worked for about 6 weeks in New York and people were getting sick with what they were calling that cruise ship virus. Too early for it to have a name. Anyway, she got back from New York and we saw her. Then she got sick with something that hung on and the doc dismissed as bronchitis. But antibiotics didn’t help and she was sick for over a month and people around her were getting sick. But this was too early for Utah to have any tests and they would only test if you were in hospital. Well, I got sick with something that was not flu or a cold. Fever, aches, chest pain. I was sick about two weeks. So, in thinking about it, we wonder if we didn’t catch it from my dh’s sister because we had already had it. ??????? Anyway, his sister is finally over it, but still has lingering chest pain and tiredness.
I'm glad you're all doing great and I hear that lingering chest pain and tiredness tracks normal...for a long time...
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:07 pm

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

2,015,214 cases in the US, and 12,864 in Utah.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:24 am

Well... I know that quite a few of us live in area's that are really not doing well as far as COVID-19 infections are concerend. The "curve" is not looking good so-to-speak.

Check-in: How are my NOMmies surviving the continuing glitch in the system?

And... Some pandemic "humor."
Tensions.jpg
Tensions.jpg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 12230 times
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:51 am

That cartoon is great!

I'm noticing that the comments following news stories are skewing away from keep all the annoying weak people at home so we can get back to life to wear a mask this thing is serious! I've also seen some comments that say, "if you're too afraid to wear a mask, then stay home!" I love those comments.

Yesterday was one of my excursion days. That means I get off my property for about an hour and a half. I went for a hike. It was very nice. Then I went to my local (small) Walmart to stock up on my Diet Coke and some other things. 90% of the people were wearing masks until about 8:00 a.m., then I noticed that most of the people I was see were not wearing masks. Many of them walking around with what I consider a swagger (I live in Utah County) and I'm just really tempted to smack them. I go home and do other stuff and spend the next few days grateful I don't have to see people not wearing masks.

My sister and I are sharply divided on this issue and It looks like I won't be seeing her until a vaccine is found, if we both live that long.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:06 am

A picture's worth a thousand words:

Yet our president and vice president insist that all of the statistics are getting better.
Make America Smart Again!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

alas

Post by alas » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:53 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:06 am
A picture's worth a thousand words:

Yet our president and vice president insist that all of the statistics are getting better.
Make America Smart Again!
Make America not a lying piece of shit again.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:52 pm

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:36 am

25,653 cases in Utah and about 3 million COVID-19 cases in the United States.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:38 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:36 am
Herbert may mandate masks and Trump is coercing schools to be opened.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:59 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:38 pm
moksha wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:36 am
Herbert may mandate masks and Trump is coercing schools to be opened.
Meanwhile, Russell F. Nelson hides behind his $1,000 vacuum. (A former surgeon, who likely spent a lot of time wearing a face covering during his career. I guess those masks only work if you are a professional, practicing healthcare worker.)

I guess I shouldn't complain too much. The last time I sneaked out of the basement to visit The Wal-Mart, I'd say that 70% of folks were wearing face coverings. Much better than my last visit to Wally-World.

Meanwhile, Meanwhile, The Capital of the Jello-Belt sets a new record for COVID-19 infections about every 7 days. Luckily the death count has not skyrocketed, and neither have hospitalizations (yet,) but that says nothing about the infected folks who "recover" but end up with who-knows-what kind of lingering damage to their body.

This years-long train-wreck that we live in is gonna drive me nuts... :?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

moksha

What are you doing to protect your family against depression?

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:49 am

Speaking of resources to protect your family from depression, the Salt Lake Acting Company is ending its forty year run of the much-loved play Saturday’s Voyeur. Even though this is a bummer, there will be other ways families can cope with Utah living every summer. Don't despair!
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:21 am

I got the mass email from the Utah Area Presidency urging church members to wear masks. Boy, that must be a dilemma for some people. Must they prioritize their loyalty to the church over their constitutional right to transmit disease?

Too bad the suggestion didn't come from Pres. Nelson. Had that been the case wearing masks would suddenly become a fulfillment of prophesy rather than a suggestion from some church guys floating somewhere in the limbo between the Prophet and Fox and Friends.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:55 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:21 am
Too bad the suggestion didn't come from Pres. Nelson. Had that been the case wearing masks would suddenly become a fulfillment of prophesy rather than a suggestion from some church guys floating somewhere in the limbo between the Prophet and Fox and Friends.
Maybe Rusty is just too busy vacuuming?

I've probably already said too much about what I think of his "leadership" during the pandemic, but seriously, he could take literally 10 seconds, put on a mask, have his photographer snap a photo, then have his cronies post the photo on the "social medias," and his followers would fall all over themselves to put on face coverings.

The photo would still be just as fake as his vacuuming photo, but it might just have the chance of changing the course of the virus in the Jello-Belt.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:14 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:55 am
The photo would still be just as fake as his vacuuming photo, but it might just have the chance of changing the course of the virus in the Jello-Belt.
The reason the vacuuming is noteworthy is that it is out of the ordinary. Like when you watch the news and start feeling like everyone is a thief or child molester. It's news because it's atypical.

The photo that cracks me up is the one of the Bednars and how his wife has to wear a mask in his presence.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:11 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:14 am
wtfluff wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:55 am
The reason the vacuuming is noteworthy is that it is out of the ordinary. Like when you watch the news and start feeling like everyone is a thief or child molester. It's news because it's atypical.

The photo that cracks me up is the one of the Bednars and how his wife has to wear a mask in his presence.
"Out of the ordinary."

Because it's so obviously fake propaganda?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:11 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:11 pm
Yup. Or maybe "Hey wouldn't it be a hilarious if we talked grandpa into pretending to do housework for Facebook?"

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:06 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:11 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:11 pm
Yup. Or maybe "Hey wouldn't it be a hilarious if we talked grandpa into pretending to do housework for Facebook?"
If only we could get these grand-kids to goad grandpa into doing something worthwhile...

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:46 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Just a precaution to ensure the safety of the Brethren.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:56 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:46 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Just a precaution to ensure the safety of the Brethren.
Maybe she wears a mask as a passive-aggressive gesture to piss Mr. Bednar off?

Yeah, I'm going with that.

Bravo Mrs. Bednar, Bravo! You're setting a better example than the 15 male cowards who claim to talk to their god, and get paid to run their god's Corporation™, yet have provided no sort of leadership whatsoever in the past 6 months.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander