What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Random

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by Random » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:58 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:55 am
he could take literally 10 seconds, put on a mask, have his photographer snap a photo, then have his cronies post the photo on the "social medias," and his followers would fall all over themselves to put on face coverings.
Are there any photos of him at all wearing a face mask? Any of the other 15? I don't pay a lot of attention, but what I have seen seem to be old photo op pictures. (I mean, it seems to me that in that picture with Bednar and his wife, he isn't wearing a mask even though she is. Am I misremembering?)
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:20 pm

Random wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:58 pm
Are there any photos of him at all wearing a face mask?
I haven't been able to find one. That cannot possibly be an accident oversight, considering that millions of people are at the edge of their seats desperately hoping for SOME kind of guidance from him. It seems to me that it can only be intentional and politically motivated; his constituency has a lot of overlap with the current president who has cultivated a political movement against mask wearing. Nelson is a doctor, for crying out loud. He knows that if he wore a mask and asked the membership to do likewise it would literally save lives. But if he can shrug off his growing tally of LGBTQ teen suicides I guess he can overlook this too.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:27 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:20 pm
Random wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:58 pm
Are there any photos of him at all wearing a face mask?
I haven't been able to find one. That cannot possibly be an accident oversight, considering that millions of people are at the edge of their seats desperately hoping for SOME kind of guidance from him. It seems to me that it can only be intentional and politically motivated; his constituency has a lot of overlap with the current president who has cultivated a political movement against mask wearing. Nelson is a doctor, for crying out loud. He knows that if he wore a mask and asked the membership to do likewise it would literally save lives. But if he can shrug off his growing tally of LGBTQ teen suicides I guess he can overlook this too.
What Hagoth said.

Someone needs to find an old photo of Nelson wearing all his Personal Protective Equipment during his former career, and create a meme with that photo, hinting that the current CEO approves of face coverings.

It wouldn't be any more fake than is vacuuming propaganda.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Random

Post by Random » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:27 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:27 pm
Someone needs to find an old photo of Nelson wearing all his Personal Protective Equipment during his former career, and create a meme with that photo, hinting that the current CEO approves of face coverings.

It wouldn't be any more fake than is vacuuming propaganda.
I found this one:

While I was searching, a suggested search popped up: "russell m nelson wearing a mask" so I clicked on it. Thus far, I've seen two photos of a man wearing a mask in it, and the man wearing it was Trump. I thought that was a really strange hit for the search words.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:27 am

Some somewhat disheartening news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52446965

TL;DR: Imperial College, London study of recovered patients finds that antibodies don't stick around long enough for permanent or even semi-permanent immunity. They figure 6 months to a year of immunity, like the immunity we get from the coronaviruses that cause the common cold.

On the other hand, there aren't yet any credible reports of people getting it twice.

If immunity really is short-lived, then a single-treatment vaccine or letting the virus run its course through a population will do little good.

But we'll beat it with a combination of tactics instead: local lockdowns, contact tracing, selective isolation, vaccines with yearly boosters, better treatments, more people working from home, and just waiting for the damned thing to slowly mutate into something more successful and therefore less destructive. There might be medical breakthroughs, too - heaven knows we have enough incentive.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:53 am

Reuben wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:27 am
On the other hand, there aren't yet any credible reports of people getting it twice.
What do you think of this Reuben?

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/12/21321653/ ... d-immunity

I've seen other "reports" but the above is supposedly the only one with TWO positive tests.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:13 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:53 am
Reuben wrote:
What do you think of this Reuben?

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/12/21321653/ ... d-immunity

I've seen other "reports" but the above is supposedly the only one with TWO positive tests.
Looks like my info was out of date. Thanks.

Journey

Post by Journey » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Reuben wrote:
Some somewhat disheartening news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52446965

TL;DR: Imperial College, London study of recovered patients finds that antibodies don't stick around long enough for permanent or even semi-permanent immunity. They figure 6 months to a year of immunity, like the immunity we get from the coronaviruses that cause the common cold.
There’s still hope! Antibodies are not everything and as they stop circulating in our body, B-cells could retain memory of a person being exposed to the virus and can start producing antibodies shortly after a repeat exposure. The same works with vaccines. We just don’t know enough to be certain. We might still need regular boosters, just like with some other vaccines. It is all so new and a lot more research is needed.
We might need to accept a less effective vaccine and somewhat effective treatments to start.

wtfluff

What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:07 pm

Stolen from Reddit:

“An outward expression of an inward commitment” to the health and wellness of everyone.
Mask.jpg
Mask.jpg (73.88 KiB) Viewed 12308 times

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:59 am

Next thing you know they're going to pass a law that won't let you drive at night without your lights turned on. I hate it when the government interferes with my rights to be as dangerous to others as I want.

Maybe this would help some people ease into the idea:

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:53 pm

They really need to reframe wearing a mask in terms of preserving freedom. It's not that hard: if we wear them, we don't have to limit freedom in more intrusive ways.

Anyway, some positive medical news:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07- ... unity.html

Apparently, about 50% of everyone has the same SARS-Cov-2-fighting T cells that recovered patients have, probably from fighting off other coronaviruses. Another group that has these T cells are those who recovered from SARS 17 years ago.

So it looks like we might get long-lasting partial immunity after infection, have a possible explanation for why Covid-19 seems to be worse for some people than others, and have another angle to work to develop a vaccine. Probably still no herd immunity, though, I guess? I only know enough about this stuff to be dangerous.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:16 pm

Reuben wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:53 pm
They really need to reframe wearing a mask in terms of preserving freedom. It's not that hard: if we wear them, we don't have to limit freedom in more intrusive ways.
Excellent point. I hope my fluffy brain can retain it.

On issue my fluffy brain can't get over is how completely irrational the anti-mask rhetoric is... Healthcare professionals have been using masks for at least 100 years, yet somehow masks "magickally" lose their protective properties when worn by the general public?

I hope someone says something to me about my princess mask in public. I'll lie my @ss off and tell them I work in a meat-packing facility and I'm running a fever of 102, then I'll invite them to cozy on up to me while I remove my mask, cough or sneeze on them, and give them a big hug and a kiss. (Yeah, it will never happen, but I read that sort of story on FaceCrack recently, so I had to plagiarize it.)

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:25 pm

It's also important to note that the government blatantly lied at the beginning of the pandemic about how masks are ineffective and so don't hoard those N95's little people, they won't help.

Now it has flipped a 180 on this point.

How do you know a gov official is lying? When they open their mouths.

I'm not taking the stance that they are lying now about the efficacy of masks, but merely pointing out that they will gladly propagandize anything and sacrifice truth to get a result.

I have a coworker with high risk family that hoarded a few 95s at the beginning and some people shamed him with the news propaganda at the time that he was foolish because "they won't help". Now he can clearly tell them to pound sand.
Last edited by FiveFingerMnemonic on Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Journey

Post by Journey » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:39 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:16 pm
Reuben wrote:
Try this for short:

Mask up to open up (businesses, schools, etc.)

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:27 pm

Journey wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:39 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:16 pm
Reuben wrote:
Try this for short:

Mask up to open up (businesses, schools, etc.)
That might work it's way into the fluff permanently. :mrgreen:

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:48 pm

I find it fascinating that the segment of society that are most vocal about opening up seem to simultaneously be the most opposed to wearing masks.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:54 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:48 pm
I find it fascinating that the segment of society that are most vocal about opening up seem to simultaneously be the most opposed to wearing masks.
Well, if you don't believe the virus is real....

I've literally been doing a hospital rehab eval with a pt who was just taken off the ventilator after 2 weeks due to covid-19 who told me that it was a made up thing and I should take off my mask.

Yeah, no.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:51 pm

I donated blood and get a free antibody test. So in 2 weeks I will find out if today I have antibodies.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:08 am

glass shelf wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:54 pm
I've literally been doing a hospital rehab eval with a pt who was just taken off the ventilator after 2 weeks due to covid-19 who told me that it was a made up thing and I should take off my mask.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe. -Frank Zappa

alas

Post by alas » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:51 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:08 am
glass shelf wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:54 pm
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe. -Frank Zappa
I read an article that suggested that a second pandemic had hit the US that has been undetected by medical experts because the symptoms are really common. It went on and on about how dangerous this new virus is, describing symptoms of dangerous and irrational behavior, mental abnormalities, hallucinations, paranoia, then finally named it the novel idiot virus.