What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
alas

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by alas » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:40 pm

Day after my second shot. I felt fine this morning and my husband suggested we go rockhounding. We called up his sister and by the time we got her it was already two in the afternoon. We went up on a Mesa near the town of Virgin and picked up rocks for two hours. Our buckets were getting full and we had to carry 4 5gallon buckets of rocks back to the truck. Got home and I am way more exhausted than I should be. Just wiped out. So, you may feel just fine 24 hours after the shot, but your body is like it is just recovering from being sick. Give yourself a break and don’t run any marathons or take any hikes.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:38 am

wtfluff wrote:
Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:02 am
Got my 2nd dose yesterday as well. On on hand, I don't have a fever after this one and it is a relief to be done with this. However, my arm pain is worse than the 1st round, I've got bad body aches, and I just feel completely drained of energy.

I am hoping that like the 1st dose, this all wraps up within 36-48 hours and then I am done.
My 2nd dose Moderna side-effects were pretty much over after aboot 36 hours...
Well 36 hours into this, yesterday was rough because this go round Tylenol didn't do much to make me feel better. Body aches and chills.

The chills and cruddy feeling have passed and energy level is better. Now I just feel tired and sore l you just slept poorly.

So here hoping this is it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:26 am

A record-breaking 350,000 new COVID cases in one day reported in India.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun May 02, 2021 12:31 pm

I saw a report that about 30% of the adult US is fully vaccinated and about 50 as been partially vaccinated. In general 70 to 80% is required for herd immunity to take effect.

However a resident survey found that there is only about 10% of the adult population left that is planing to be vaccinated but have not been.

This is very concerning that we may not be able to get enough people vaccinated for herd immunity to start to work.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun May 02, 2021 2:22 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:31 pm
I saw a report that about 30% of the adult US is fully vaccinated and about 50 as been partially vaccinated. In general 70 to 80% is required for herd immunity to take effect.

However a resident survey found that there is only about 10% of the adult population left that is planing to be vaccinated but have not been.

This is very concerning that we may not be able to get enough people vaccinated for herd immunity to start to work.
So that 30% / 50% - Is that looking at "total population" or is it looking at "vaccine eligible population?"

The completely nihilistic thought that popped into my head about your concern: We'll reach herd immunity one way or another. If not via vaccination, then enough of those that don't get vaccinated will get infected and either die or get antibodies and T-cells naturally.

Regarding the previous paragraph: It is my desire that enough people get the vaccine to reach herd immunity. In no way do I want more people to get infected so we can reach herd immunity. Unfortunately we're talking about humans here... They don't always make the rational choice. Some of those folks are my family members unfortunately. :cry:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun May 02, 2021 4:36 pm

I found the article, so you can read it as well.

https://news.yahoo.com/new-yahoo-news-y ... 55321.html

Their numbers are based on people 18+, so just "vaccine eligible."

While Yes, one way or another, we will get herd immunity. The question is will it be through proactive science, or stupidity? Since, means with can get through this mess sooner rather than later. Stupidity means that will will have to put up with all this for months and months longer. I just want this whole thing to be over with.

alas

Post by alas » Sun May 02, 2021 5:31 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:36 pm
I found the article, so you can read it as well.

https://news.yahoo.com/new-yahoo-news-y ... 55321.html

Their numbers are based on people 18+, so just "vaccine eligible."

While Yes, one way or another, we will get herd immunity. The question is will it be through proactive science, or stupidity? Since, means with can get through this mess sooner rather than later. Stupidity means that will will have to put up with all this for months and months longer. I just want this whole thing to be over with.
The problem with the idea of reaching herd immunity by people getting sick, is that apparently they only stay immune for about a year after being sick. Like the flu and colds, not like chicken pox and small pox. Colds and flu are related viruses, and they mutate quickly as does the corona virus. So, like the flu, we are going to be getting vaccines about once a year, and those who refuse to get vaccinated, will get sick about every other year, till it kills them, or they grow a brain and start getting vaccinated. In fact they are already working on a combination Covid and flu vaccine to be given once a year. So, this mess is going to be around both because of the nature of the virus and the stupidity of antivax/trumpers. The only way to avoid getting covid will be to be vaccinated as recommended by experts.

I have relatives and neighbors who are refusing to be vaccinated and meanwhile, people are acting like the pandemic is over. Just this weekend there was an ATV rally in Kanab, Utah and about 600 people all had three days of breakfast and supper together in a big auditorium, with no masks and no social distancing. Now 90% of those people are over 65 and either had their vaccine or not. The over 65 population is the one with the biggest percentage vaccinated. So, it may not have been as bad as the first glance looks, but I highly doubt that everyone was fully vaccinated.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun May 02, 2021 10:33 pm

alas wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:31 pm
Just this weekend there was an ATV rally in Kanab, Utah and about 600 people all had three days of breakfast and supper together in a big auditorium, with no masks and no social distancing. Now 90% of those people are over 65 and either had their vaccine or not.
I am guessing that a large percentage can't wait to cross the veil and start working on getting their own planet.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon May 03, 2021 8:08 am

Chinese President Xi Jinping offered India additional assistance in its fight against the country’s outbreak. He said China is willing to provide additional support and assistance because "Mankind is a community of common destiny sharing weal and woe and only through unity and cooperation can the nations of the world ultimately overcome the pandemic."
I love it when world leaders give words of hope and wisdom. With leaders such as Xi and Biden, things are feeling less corrupt and more spiritually satisfying, when we care for one another.
-- Moksha

Stig

Post by Stig » Mon May 03, 2021 10:14 am

Got my second dose on Friday. It knocked me down for most of Saturday, but I was feeling normal by Sunday.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon May 03, 2021 12:25 pm

I got my 2nd dose of Moderna last week with milder side effects than the first dose. Just a sore arm, and this time not as sore nor for as long.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed May 05, 2021 10:44 pm

Hundreds gathered in Moroni, Utah to burn a giant syringe as part of their anti-vaccination beliefs.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgxxan/ ... the-desert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7xFabyn7Iw
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed May 05, 2021 10:57 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:44 pm
Hundreds gathered in Moroni, Utah to burn a giant syringe as part of their anti-vaccination beliefs.
Oh dear. For once, my fingers are speechless. :o
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Thu May 06, 2021 9:20 am

moksha wrote:

OH. MY. GOSH. Moksha, I seriously thought you found a random pic and posted this as a joke, til I clicked on the 1st link. Wow.

Stig

Post by Stig » Thu May 06, 2021 9:53 am

moksha wrote:

We are screwed. Absolutely screwed.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu May 06, 2021 11:17 am

President Nelson could really make an effort to get the Utah Mormons to vaccinate if he had another policy change revelation that required vaccinations as part of the temple recommend process. Russ, go get the light pen and politely ask Wendy to leave the room again!
New CDC data shows that vaccine rates remain particularly low in Utah. Just 25 percent of the state’s population have been vaccinated, making it the third-lowest in the nation, according to the CDC (Alabama has the lowest rates of COVID vaccination, followed by Mississippi).

Utah has long been a hotspot for anti-vaccine sentiments, even before COVID-19 hit the US and rejuvenated the simmering movement. A study from 2018 identified Salt Lake City and Provo as two cities in the US with the highest rates of kindergarteners whose parents had claimed “nonmedical exemptions” based on ideological or religious beliefs, to explain why their child had not been immunized.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu May 06, 2021 11:43 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:17 am
New CDC data shows that vaccine rates remain particularly low in Utah. Just 25 percent of the state’s population have been vaccinated, making it the third-lowest in the nation, according to the CDC (Alabama has the lowest rates of COVID vaccination, followed by Mississippi).

Utah has long been a hotspot for anti-vaccine sentiments, even before COVID-19 hit the US and rejuvenated the simmering movement. A study from 2018 identified Salt Lake City and Provo as two cities in the US with the highest rates of kindergarteners whose parents had claimed “nonmedical exemptions” based on ideological or religious beliefs, to explain why their child had not been immunized.
The CDC seems to have a hard time with numbers...
Vaccinated.jpg
Vaccinated.jpg (48.04 KiB) Viewed 5442 times

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon May 17, 2021 7:21 am

Noticed in the Tribune today that 70,000 Utahs have missed their second vaccine dose due to it being against the Word of Trumpism. Perhaps they got a Morse code message from Q.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:23 am

Last week, the US had 102,124 new cases of CoVid-19. This continues an 8 week trend of falling new cases and also marks the lowest new cases weekly total since late march 2020, a 14 month low. May 31, 2021 was also the lowest daily new cases of CoVid since March 21, 2020.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:28 am

Maybe instead of publishing creepy articles like Tad Callister's the Church ought to focus on being more proactive in trying to get its members vaccinated.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph