The church would collapse faster if...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
MoPag

Re: The church would collapse faster if...

Post by MoPag » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:09 am

Corsair wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:56 am
MoPag wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:38 am
Oh my Gods... We would end up with Tad Callister and Ponderize it guy and Clayton running the show. :lol: :lol:
fetchface wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:13 am
Too bad Jesus wasn't smart enough to come up with a robust system like that in the original church he set up. I guess he learned a thing or two after the great apostasy. :roll: Gotta love the plot holes in Mormon theology!
The new First Presidency of President Tad "Historical BoM" Callister, President L. Whitney "Obedience" Clayton, and President Devin "Ponderize" Durrant would need to produce a new First Vision (Second Vision?) and a rationale for retaining the priesthood keys of authority.
Devin is gonna sell #SecondVision merch everywhere!!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:13 pm

if...
some large movie studio produced a biographical movie of the life of Joseph Smith and his pick up lines to all his wives...word for word out of historical documents.

I know members would deny it's validity to their dying breath, but it would definitely add cracks to a lot more shelves...

It is easy to read spiritual revelations from the past and believe it- because it is in the pas during a time of enlightenment- but say those words out loud and act them out- and you instantly see the absurdity of it all.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:00 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:06 am
Mormorrisey wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:49 pm
They were still shooting people trying to escape over the Berlin wall up until the last few weeks of the wall's existence. I don't want to be that poor sap, brave as he might be, trying to flee for freedom at the last minute. I
Maybe you could be more of a new Samuel the Lamanite, standing on top of the wall, hanging a moon at all of the people still inside.
:lol:

I just had a thought. In the Friberg rendition, he could easily be altered so that he's throwing open a trenchcoat. That and a little pixelation would perfect the image.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:06 am

crossmyheart wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:13 pm
if...
some large movie studio produced a biographical movie of the life of Joseph Smith and his pick up lines to all his wives...word for word out of historical documents.

I know members would deny it's validity to their dying breath, but it would definitely add cracks to a lot more shelves...

It is easy to read spiritual revelations from the past and believe it- because it is in the pas during a time of enlightenment- but say those words out loud and act them out- and you instantly see the absurdity of it all.
Problem is TBMs wouldn’t be able to see it as it would be Rated NR-17 from all the sex scenes.
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:39 am

crossmyheart wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:13 pm
if...

The apologetic viewpoint of the quotes would be "taken out of context" and "it was a different time and people talked that way at the time." I can see some of the more memorable lines start to show up as pickup lines at BYU. This should lead to an LDS rom-com featuring all of Joseph's greatest pickup lines.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:01 am

The church would collapse faster if... GODZILLA!

This is the cover of an actual Marvel comic from 1978. I have a poster of this cover on my wall. The fine print at the bottom tells us that, although it is out of print, it can be viewed at BYU's L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."