LDS Church temporarily suspends all meetings....

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Re: LDS Church temporarily suspends all meetings....

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:08 am

Angel wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:25 am
How is everyone going to handle "the priesthood" wanting to come over and administer the sacrament?
Our stake just authorized individual families to sanctify their own bread and water. That says a lot about the way the church works, doesn't it? You can't say a prayer over a piece of bread in your own home without approval coming down from above.

I'm a priesthood holder and I will happily bless the morning toast and tea for my dear wife.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Angel wrote:
How is everyone going to handle "the priesthood" wanting to come over and administer the sacrament?
Our stake just authorized individual families to sanctify their own bread and water. That says a lot about the way the church works, doesn't it? You can't say a prayer over a piece of bread in your own home without approval coming down from above.

I'm a priesthood holder and I will happily bless the morning toast and tea for my dear wife.
This "at least once a month" edict seems pretty new and arbitrary:

Dear Brother:
The Stake Presidency has given authorization to the bishop to allow worthy priesthood holders to temporarily administer the sacrament in their homes along the following guidelines:
1.This authorization will be immediately rescinded once the normal Sunday meeting schedule is resumed.
2.The administration of the sacrament should be done at least once a month but not more than once a week.
3.This authorization is for you to administer the sacrament in your home only.  
4.We are to keep this simple with the focus on the sacrament ordinance only. This is not to be a sacrament meeting with songs, prayers, talks, etc.
5.Please familiarize yourself with General Handbook Section 18.9 as much as possible and pay particular attention to the following:
•The ordinance should be orderly and reverent
•Only worthy Teachers, Priests or Melchizedek Priesthood holders may prepare the sacrament
•Only worthy Priests or Melchizedek Priesthood holders may bless the sacrament
•Use a clean white cloth to cover the sacrament
•Use clean trays, plates or cups to pass the sacrament
•The priesthood holder(s) administering the sacrament should be dressed in their Sunday attire (white shirt, necktie, suit or slacks, etc.)
•The priesthood holder blessing the sacrament should kneel if at all possible
•Be sure to state the prayer word-for-word.  Read it from the Handbook or Doctrine and Covenants Section 20: 77, 79 (if reading from D&C, remember to change the word “wine” to “water”).  Do not try to recite the prayer from memory.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:17 pm

Angel wrote:
With some of the cray-cray plans I've read from local leaders, the only way to keep them away is to tell them we've got the virus and have coughed on all the exterior doorknobs.
Last edited by nibbler on Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:22 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:40 pm
...remember to change the word “wine” to “water”).  Do not try to recite the prayer from memory.
That's where I draw the line. This is my house. Wine it is.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:34 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:08 am
Angel wrote:

We had to request permission from our bishop to bless and sanctify the bread and water in our home...
~2bizE

Sheamus Moore

Post by Sheamus Moore » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:25 pm

My Bishop sent a text authorizing me to administer the sacrament in my home. I haven’t been to church in many, many months.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:31 pm

•The priesthood holder(s) administering the sacrament should be dressed in their Sunday attire (white shirt, necktie, suit or slacks, etc.)
Dear, dear Cronus.

The Magick Incantation doesn't work if one isn't "in uniform?"

That type of krap drives me nucking futs...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:42 pm

We got an email from the stake president, and a follow-up from the bishop. The bishop's was matter-of-fact and straightforward, which was nice. Yes, we're now authorized to bless the sacrament. How benevolent of them to allow us to do that.

The stake president's email started this way:
What a time to be disciples! Suddenly the prophetic wisdom and combined revelations of ministering, home-centred learning, Come Follow Me, youth leadership, and many others come into even clearer view.
What cringy posturing. We have special knowledge, which makes us sooooo special! Yay us! God likes us best!
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:59 pm

Our stake is doing a broadcast 3 different times on Sundays. Our ward is assigning families to meet in small groups of 3-4 families. Seems to defeat the purpose. Each group has a leader and they are to report back to the bishop.

Mormon bishop roulette. My brother's ward in the same town is just being told to watch the broadcast and have the sacrament in their home. No small groups.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:39 am

Evil_Bert wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:59 pm
Our stake is doing a broadcast 3 different times on Sundays. Our ward is assigning families to meet in small groups of 3-4 families. Seems to defeat the purpose. Each group has a leader and they are to report back to the bishop.

Mormon bishop roulette. My brother's ward in the same town is just being told to watch the broadcast and have the sacrament in their home. No small groups.
It sounds like your bishop is trying to punish people for possibly getting the idea that they were going to get a vacation from the Long Arm Of The Church.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:45 am

Dear Brother:
The Stake Presidency has given authorization to the bishop to allow worthy priesthood holders to temporarily administer the sacrament in their homes along the following guidelines:
1.This authorization will be immediately rescinded once the normal Sunday meeting schedule is resumed.
2.The administration of the sacrament should be done at least once a month but not more than once a week.
4.We are to keep this simple with the focus on the sacrament ordinance only. This is not to be a sacrament meeting with songs, prayers, talks, etc.
5.Please familiarize yourself with General Handbook Section 18.9 as much as possible and pay particular attention to the following:
•Only worthy Teachers, Priests or Melchizedek Priesthood holders may prepare the sacrament
•Be sure to state the prayer word-for-word.  Read it from the Handbook or Doctrine and Covenants Section 20: 77, 79 (if reading from D&C, remember to change the word “wine” to “water”).  Do not try to recite the prayer from memory.
Ha!!

"Oh no.....we're not a legalist church."

The only people on Earth who know how to codify the law better than the Jews are the Mormons. The term "Pharisees" seems almost inadequate.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:12 am

Can garment tops count as a clean white cloth to cover the sacrament?

Honey, go grab your underpants!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:02 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:12 am

So bad.... :twisted:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:45 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:12 am

Does toilet paper count?

I'll bet anything white counts if you use it with an eye single to the glory of obedience.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:11 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:08 am
Angel wrote:

Haha - my DH just had a chat with the EQ pres... he has not gone to church for a bit, and I was too afraid to ask how that conversation went. I'm hoping if he does decide to bless anything he will not feel badly that I do not partake. I do not partake in mass when visiting the Catholic relatives, and I will not partake in the sacrament with the Mormons - no middle-men for me.

Nothing against anyone personally, just a statement that I do not recognize any organization as having "authority" over anyone.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:16 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Angel wrote:

Dear Brother:
was this just for your stake, or is this how everyone is supposed to do this? Ok, not as worried about my DH trying to do this, I do not see him putting on a suit and kneeling down over anything :D
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:18 pm

Angel wrote:
Hagoth wrote: Our stake just authorized individual families to sanctify their own bread and water. That says a lot about the way the church works, doesn't it? You can't say a prayer over a piece of bread in your own home without approval coming down from above.

Dear Brother:
was this just for your stake, or is this how everyone is supposed to do this? Ok, not as worried about my DH trying to do this, I do not see him putting on a suit and kneeling down over anything :D
I've heard all sorts of different standards coming from different areas. I assume it is just our stake or area.

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:21 pm

nibbler wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:17 pm
Angel wrote:
With some of the cray-cray plans I've read from local leaders, the only way to keep them away is to tell them we've got the virus and have coughed on all the exterior doorknobs.
We did recently travel to NYC, but they don't seem intimidated by all the RM's so....

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:22 pm

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:18 pm
Angel wrote:

Dear Brother:
I've heard all sorts of different standards coming from different areas. I assume it is just our stake or area.
They do not send me any more emails etc. which I am grateful for - only have one daughter who is still interested in it, have not removed my name until I can get all the kids out with me...