LDS Church temporarily suspends all meetings....

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Anon70

LDS Church temporarily suspends all meetings....

Post by Anon70 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:14 pm

Advocate

Re: LDS Church temporarily suspends all meetings....

Post by Advocate » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:38 pm

#tender mercies

:D :D

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:16 pm

Praise the Lord !!!!!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:41 pm

Remember how many of us were saying that if 2 hours is good, 0 hours must be great? Now we have a pilot program to test it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Sheamus Moore

Post by Sheamus Moore » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:51 pm

But then there's that part about figuring out how to get the sacrament to members (at least once a month). I don't want any uninvited guests, or their bread, thanks.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:28 pm

Text message exchange this afternoon between my wife and myself. She still attends half time, but her shelf is pretty cracked - although still holding up. Thought you all might get a laugh out of it. Forget church, she's REALLY bummed the race is canceled....
So Sad.jpg
So Sad.jpg (163.11 KiB) Viewed 13019 times

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:16 pm

I wonder when they will close all the temples? Leaving them open seems like the perfect virus storm. Old people and lots of face to face and handshaking interaction.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:58 am

Evil_Bert wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:16 pm
I wonder when they will close all the temples? Leaving them open seems like the perfect virus storm. Old people and lots of face to face and handshaking interaction.
This is a good point. If one person in the company has the virus, they all will by the end. Maybe they could do hand washing and sanitizer distribution at strategic times in the ceremony.

hmb

Post by hmb » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:09 am

I feel bad for those, like my parent, who only has church as a social outlet. But I raise my coffee mug to salute all of you that benefit from the suspension.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:07 am

woohoo.png
woohoo.png (83.29 KiB) Viewed 12944 times
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:40 am

Hermey wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:28 pm
Text message exchange this afternoon between my wife and myself. She still attends half time, but her shelf is pretty cracked - although still holding up. Thought you all might get a laugh out of it. Forget church, she's REALLY bummed the race is canceled....
I love this !
I JUST had a conversation with my NOMish husband this week- that he wanted us to start going back to church...but when all this came down- he was more sad about March Madness getting canceled. :(

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:10 am

Evil_Bert wrote:
Yeah, my wife went to fill her assignment this morning. I'm thinking of how many hands she probably shakes. :shock:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:00 am

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:10 am
Evil_Bert wrote:
Yeah, my wife went to fill her assignment this morning. I'm thinking of how many hands she probably shakes. :shock:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: They need to shut down those Polygamy Palaces™. Those places are literally a breeding ground for the retirees running them to spread COVID-19. The endowment ceremony is literally the exact opposite of "Social Distancing."

If they think that they "have to" remain open to do live sealings, then fine... Keep a small skeleton staff on duty to take care of that, and send the rest home to enjoy their food storage. If LD$-Inc. is really worried about spreading COVID-19 (which certain things show they are,) then the House of Handshaking portions in the Polygamy Palaces™ need to stop.

Unless of course, LD$-Inc. is looking to thin the volunteer pool/tithe payers that run those places. :?: :!:

EDIT: Well, look at that. My Polygamy Palace™ complaints have been heard:
LD$-inc. wrote:
  • Where government or other restrictions on public and/or religious gatherings would, in effect, preclude temple activity, proxy and living ordinances will temporarily be suspended.
  • Where government or other restrictions do not preclude all temple activity, the following temple ordinances for living persons will be accommodated as capacity permits by appointment only: husband-and-wife and child-to-parents sealing ordinances and living initiatory and endowment ordinances. On a temporary basis, proxy temple ordinances will not be performed.
  • All patron housing will be closed.
Is Rusty waiting until the first weekend of April to banish the virus to outer-darkness?
Last edited by wtfluff on Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:25 am

This is so weird. I got a mass email from the bishop saying that YM/YW was cancelled, but urged us to participate in the temple before it closes, and to wait for an update about Sunday. I'm not going on Sunday; I don't need anyone to tell me whether to go or not (and I always prefer not to go!), but I find the inability of the local leaders to say, "Yes, Church is Cancelled" to be so strange.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:46 pm

Closing the temples for construction renovations is also proof of inspired leadership with large scale gatherings limiting temple attendance.

Social distancing? Maybe they’ll remove every other patron seat in the temple now?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:31 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:46 pm
Closing the temples for construction renovations is also proof of inspired leadership with large scale gatherings limiting temple attendance.

Social distancing? Maybe they’ll remove every other patron seat in the temple now?

There was a new announcement today about temples from The Prophet of the Newsroom: No work for dead people, just live people, "by invite only."
LD$-inc. wrote:
  • Where government or other restrictions on public and/or religious gatherings would, in effect, preclude temple activity, proxy and living ordinances will temporarily be suspended.
  • Where government or other restrictions do not preclude all temple activity, the following temple ordinances for living persons will be accommodated as capacity permits by appointment only: husband-and-wife and child-to-parents sealing ordinances and living initiatory and endowment ordinances. On a temporary basis, proxy temple ordinances will not be performed.
  • All patron housing will be closed.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:17 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:40 am
Hermey wrote:
I love this !
I JUST had a conversation with my NOMish husband this week- that he wanted us to start going back to church...but when all this came down- he was more sad about March Madness getting canceled. :(
There is going to be nothing on tv but the golden girls and murder she wrote....☹️
~2bizE

Angel

Post by Angel » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:25 am

How is everyone going to handle "the priesthood" wanting to come over and administer the sacrament?
Last edited by Angel on Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Angel

Post by Angel » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:28 am

Sheamus Moore wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:51 pm
But then there's that part about figuring out how to get the sacrament to members (at least once a month). I don't want any uninvited guests, or their bread, thanks.
I was thinking the same thing. Considering how many inactive members there are in each ward, this should be interesting to see how it is handled. :lol:
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:59 am

Hermey wrote:
But St. Judas is still going to happen, right? Right?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."