Cancelling Church is PROOF that CFM was inspired

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
lostinmiddlemormonism

Re: Cancelling Church is PROOF that CFM was inspired

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:25 am

slavereeno wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:48 am
I got a call from my father yesterday, reminding me that the Prophets have been telling us to store food, and that those prophets were right.
Yes, I remember that prophetic guidance as well. I think we stopped talking about it in 1983.

-Lost

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:35 am

slavereeno wrote:
I got a call from my father yesterday, reminding me that the Prophets have been telling us to store food, and that those prophets were right.
There's nothing prophetic in encouraging good food storage. Humans have been doing it since time immemorial. Ants do it. Squirrels do it.

In modern society where stores provide fresh groceries daily it becomes easy to forget about having an extra supply. But a little intelligence and wisdom tells us not to get sucked into that daily scenario. So in actuality food storage is good advice but making someone into a "prophet" of God because they promote it is just a bit of an over reach, I would think.

Thinking of Joseph in Egypt is a significantly different story. There we have a specific dream that is given by Pharoah to a true prophet to interpret and also opens the door for a good solution to the problem presented in the dream. The dream is detailed. Seven fat years and seven lean years. Nothing here that's too sacred to talk about. It's open and stated plainly.

Unlike the leadership of the LDS church who give advice that is the equivalent of good common sense which also happens to be just a little self-serving in that it helps members stay off of church assistance when trouble strikes. How convenient.

So the church highly promotes self-sufficiency in all things except in the relationship between God and man/woman. In that aspect we must be totally dependent on the church for our salvation/exaltation. Christ, the one and only great Mediator between God and man is slickly replaced by men who claim they hear Him whispering in their ear. But don't ask for specifics. It's all much too hush, hush and sacred.
Here we are asked to trust in the arm of flesh. Men who taking turns, speak to us over the TV for fifteen minutes, twice a year. And they look perfect doing it. We have no idea what these people are really like when they're off camera the other 360 days of the year.

What we do know is that for those two days twice a year and access to the temple ordinances it'll cost you ten percent of your income plus quite a bit more in time and effort.

You don't mind if those leaders take any excess in funds beyond operating costs and invest it do you? It just seems like a good idea. After all the membership has been taught to be self-sufficient and to help one another so they're all on autopilot. Let's just use the excess to make MORE MONEY.

A wise church can never have enough money. Because even though we have modern prophets, seers and revelators, who see into the future you can never tell when there might be a rainy day.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:45 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:25 am
Yes, I remember that prophetic guidance as well. I think we stopped talking about it in 1983.
Yes, the timing is a little off, it would have been a lot more helpful to NOT hoard wheat in #10 cans for 30 years, and instead put the money I spent of years savings in GOLD. Or even better, just tell us all to buy toilet paper last October conference! I am tired of wiping my arse with #10 cans full of wheat, they aren't very absorbent and the chaffing is terrible.
Palerider wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:35 am
A wise church can never have enough money. Because even though we have modern prophets, seers and revelators, who see into the future you can never tell when there might be a rainy day.
Yes! This exactly, much, much better advice could have been given and in a more timely manner. Even the 7 cows dream interpretation from Joseph of Egypt had a friggin' timeline, Hoard for 7 then hunker for 7. I've personally had to move tons of boxes of wheat into and out of houses as people move, and NEVER seen anyone use it (other than for an object lesson). This could end up being the exception, I suppose. Our Wheat is 25 years old and we found out DW is allergic.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:04 am

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:25 am
slavereeno wrote:

-Lost
Right. What is NOT prophetic is to give specific instructions when they are NOT needed and to stop giving them well before they ARE needed. It is blatantly obvious that church leaders, like just about everyone else at the time, were knee-jerk reacting to the threat of nuclear holocaust during the Cold War. Since the collapse of the Soviet Union they have lost even the imagination to foresee another threat, and demonstrating the obviously fact that they never had the inspiration to do so.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."