What’s your work situation?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:05 pm

I’m able to work from home in my line of work.
Been working for a few weeks straight. No weekend. Have enjoyed an evening walk around the neighborhood seeing very few people. It’s like a ghost town.
Anyone have any special needs that NOM folks can help with?
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Re: What’s your work situation?

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:43 pm

I sent all my people home today to work from home for the next two weeks.

As MoPag says “thank gods” for a laptop and an internet connection.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 pm

My "normal" work situation is 60% work from home.

Currently on 100% work from home as mandated by the company for at least two weeks. (I won't be surprised if that gets pushed out.)

In my company of ~8,000 folks spread across the entire Western U.S., everyone who is able to work from home, is working from home.

And yes: Anyone who has a need, please let the world know. Let's take care of each other.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:00 pm

I work in healthcare, and I have two jobs. I'm working unless I get sick or the powers that be decide to kick me out because they decide the risk of therapists entering the facility outweighs the benefits. Even then they might want me to do something else because so many employees will likely be out sick.

I work with geriatric patients primarily, and this situation is so miserable for them in so many ways. I just go to work and do what I can to make anyone feel better about what they're dealing with that day. That's my goal.

We can't report for work if we have a temp above 99.6 as of today. Rationing of PPE. No activities program, no dining room use, patients mostly in their rooms. It's a weird time for sure.

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:40 pm

I’m a speech therapist at a school. I’m home w/ my kiddos. I need toilet paper. :lol:

Anyone else hearing about all this Ntnl Guard stuff? And I personally know people who can’t get the cash they want from the bank right now. (no more than 1k currently.) I’m kind of scarred. Have you guys ever seen millions of people lose their jobs within 2 weeks?

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:45 pm

I'm semi-retired.

We're getting out of southern California tomorrow morning and heading back to the north intermountain west. I'll just be glad to be home. We're fairly set for almost any situation.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:01 am

Working from home as of yesterday, along with everyone else in the UK who can. Laptop should be sufficient, but my company has relaxed its policies on taking company assets home, so I could fetch my beefy desktop machine and huge-ass monitor if I wanted. I might, and set up an office.

It's a good time to work for Microsoft. Hourly employees will still get paid during the pandemic, including contractors like catering staff and janitors.

I love the idea of us helping each other out here on NOM. Some of us are a lot more secure than others. Who is worried about their job?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:23 am

I am on call. A few things to do from home. Same for Spouseman. Our salaries are guaranteed by the governor, so whatever that's worth.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:50 am

Retired, so, just trying to figure out the balance between social isolation and depressing social isolation. We are both high risk, with diabetes, age, and I have some serious scarring in my lungs, which I hear is the very worst risk factor. Spouse man is more scared of this thing than I am, but then he is much more afraid of losing me than he is of dying himself, so that should be a sobering thought for me. But I am the one saying we need to keep getting physical exercise as long as possible, so we need to keep going to the rec center until they lock the place up. Right now it is the only place we go.

My kids are #1. Still going in to work. Teaching Classes of 30 for government employees. #1 spouse disabled vet. #2 working from home. #2 spouse, video teaching at university. #3 still going in to work. #3 spouse disabled. My three kids all have the same employer, but their situations are very different. One working at home, and one still forced into a group of 30 on a daily basis.

My sister, who is university employee still going in to work put a “social distancing” barrier up around her desk as she is worried most about her 79 year old roommate. The rec center also has a social distancing barrier up around the front desk.

Emower

Post by Emower » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:59 am

Just checking y'all, haven't visited in a while. I had hoped Nevada would not be as hysterical as the rest of the country. Still no toilet paper here either. I'm in the Reno Carson area though, so maybe the rural areas are faring better. The governor has mandated telework for all state workers and my boss told me to just take a vaycay.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:20 am

Emower wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:59 am
Just checking y'all, haven't visited in a while. I had hoped Nevada would not be as hysterical as the rest of the country. Still no toilet paper here either. I'm in the Reno Carson area though, so maybe the rural areas are faring better. The governor has mandated telework for all state workers and my boss told me to just take a vaycay.
It seems that states with lots of Mormons are the most concerned about toilet paper. Suggestion: replace Moroni's trumpet with a highly visible toiled paper dispenser.

Note: Bible belters seem to trust that God will send toilet paper like mana from heaven.

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:23 am

The University is closed so everything has gone online.

And I thought live Inductive Logic lectures were boring. Silly me.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:53 am

alas wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:50 am
Retired, so, just trying to figure out the balance between social isolation and depressing social isolation. We are both high risk, with diabetes, age, and I have some serious scarring in my lungs, which I hear is the very worst risk factor. Spouse man is more scared of this thing than I am, but then he is much more afraid of losing me than he is of dying himself, so that should be a sobering thought for me. But I am the one saying we need to keep getting physical exercise as long as possible, so we need to keep going to the rec center until they lock the place up. Right now it is the only place we go.

My kids are #1. Still going in to work. Teaching Classes of 30 for government employees. #1 spouse disabled vet. #2 working from home. #2 spouse, video teaching at university. #3 still going in to work. #3 spouse disabled. My three kids all have the same employer, but their situations are very different. One working at home, and one still forced into a group of 30 on a daily basis.

My sister, who is university employee still going in to work put a “social distancing” barrier up around her desk as she is worried most about her 79 year old roommate. The rec center also has a social distancing barrier up around the front desk.
Alas, since you are both high risk stay home from the red center. Here in AZ they have closed them all. This is too contagious to risk it.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:08 pm

My office should go work from home this week but we’ve all started unofficially. Our state is starting shut downs (we’re behind) and I expect nothing but grocery and pharmacies to be open by the weekend.

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:33 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:20 am
Emower wrote:
It seems that states with lots of Mormons are the most concerned about toilet paper. Suggestion: replace Moroni's trumpet with a highly visible toiled paper dispenser.

Note: Bible belters seem to trust that God will send toilet paper like mana from heaven.

I'm in AZ - can confirm lack of TP. Mindblowing.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:56 pm

I work retail. I'll be in the middle of the craziness over supplies and spending lots of face time with the general public risking infection with every customer. People, at least at my location, seem to be appreciative that grocery store employees are still showing up for work (as if your average retail employee can just hold up for a month without showing up for work). So it is weird, as crazy and busy as it has been I prefer it to the holiday rush. Less screaming annoyed rage monsters by far.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:46 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:53 am
alas wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:50 am

Alas, since you are both high risk stay home from the red center. Here in AZ they have closed them all. This is too contagious to risk it.
Well, they closed it anyway. :cry:

If this was going to be over in a month, I think we could stand staying in, but I don’t think this is really going away until there is a vaccine. Because after the pandemic, it becomes endemic. That is the way diseases work. The disease doesn’t go away, but just slows down as more people are immune, until everybody has had it/there is a vaccine and everybody is immune. So, honestly, I figure I am going to get this sooner or later. I am not going to get younger or healthier and more likely to survive. That is just reality with a vaccine one to two years out.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:28 pm

I'm a retired state employee with a pretty good pension, and so is my wife, so we're OK. Our portfolio took a hit, so we may travel less. But we do have our health. :)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:31 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:20 am
Emower wrote:

Bible belters might figure the Rapture is right around the corner. Then they won't need toilet paper. :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:38 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:28 pm
I'm a retired state employee with a pretty good pension, and so is my wife, so we're OK. Our portfolio took a hit, so we may travel less. But we do have our health. :)
I'm pretty jealous of pensioners right now. Most of my retirement is in stocks and bonds. I sold a bunch of stocks against protests from my wealth planner. Boy am I glad I did. The day before my retirement lost 1/8 of its value in a single day, and no end in site. My future is changing before my eyes.