Is the church saying or doing anything???

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Is the church saying or doing anything???

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:54 am

Eleven days ago (March 14) Pres. Nelson released his 3-minute Message of Hope and Love video.

Has there been anything hopeful or useful from the church since then? All I am aware of are some newsroom statements about adjustments to temple schedules and missionary programs, but nothing substantial or insightful regarding the global situation.

I see stories on the news about how groups like the Salt Lake City Mission (non-LDS) are stepping up to provide meals for people in need, but not a single word about any extra effort from the LDS church. I suspect when/if we do hear something it will be in the form of calling upon members to sacrifice or donate more, but will not offer any relief from the "sacred funds." I really, really hope I'm wrong about that. If Pres. Nelson really wants to make this an exceptional and memorable conference I would be happy to offer some suggestions along those lines.

In his video Nelson says that "we as a global church are facing a unique challenge." Not as a people, or as a planet, but just as a church? He expresses a "deep desire to be part of the solution to this challenge." The solution he offers? "Temporary adjustments to the way we worship and serve the Lord. Speaking of the pandemic, he sees "evidence of His hand in this holy work in so many ways." The central theme of the message is obedience and a promise that those who "do his work," and "obey his laws" will be blessed. We have learned by sad experience that "He" in these kinds of statements is often analogous to "us." Nelson calls upon members to do their ministering, embrace the home-study program and watch the new BoM videos, then he ends with a plug for the upcoming General Conference.

And that's it. Things have gotten so much worse since, but there seems to be no further message. Yet I keep getting emails from the ward and stake about what an incredible blessing it is to have the guidance of a living prophet in these difficult times.

What am I missing?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Re: Is the church saying or doing anything???

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:01 am

I see there are two recent articles on the official website that talk about our "troubled times." They are both authorless and are disappointingly myopic; they talk about how to tune into General Conference and remind you to do your ministering and home study.

Follow The Prophet seems to be turning into something more like Where's Waldo.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:24 am

Intangible pandemic benefits?

I’m happy they’ve closed church.
I’m happy they’re sending missionaries home.
I’m happy the ward is watching out for all the single ladies.

Do we have any single ladies in the house tonight?
sing
All the single ladies (All the single ladies)
All the single ladies
Now put your hands up
Up in the club (club)
Just broke up (up)
I'm doing my own little thing
You decided to dip (dip)
But now you wanna trip (trip)
'Cause another ministering brother noticed me
I'm up on him (him)
He up on me (me)
Don't pay him any attention
I cried my tears (tears)
For two good years (years)
You can't be mad at me
An angel with a flaming sword convinced me...
'Cause if you like it, then you shoulda celestial married it
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 am

I read somewhere that the church is allowing healthcare agencies to use their church parking lots if needed.
I read that in Chile a church is being used as a hospital.
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:46 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:24 am
You can't be mad at me
So, this is the "message of hope" that Nelson will produce at conference? It would certainly make this a historic conference.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 am

2bizE wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 am
That's awesome.

How about this. Wherever there is a need, LDS multipurpose rooms are turned into instant emergency hospitals.

Next challenge: what could you do with $100B RIGHT NOW to accelerate the supply of medical gear? It may seem impossible, but this seems like something God could communicate through a living mouthpiece.

Oh, I know! The miracle of the face mask. The deacons collect a few masks and leave them at the front door of the COB. Somehow they get multiplied into more than enough for everyone. Afterward they gather up the overproduction leftovers to stock up for the next pandemic.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:00 am

2bizE wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 am
I read somewhere that the church is allowing healthcare agencies to use their church parking lots if needed.
The use of parking lots was actually in one of the President Newsroom™ releases I believe.

Dunno about the Chile Church Hospital, it's a rumor though.

Actual "leadership" is basically silent though. Maybe they are just holding back for the grand and wonderful General Conference to offer a bit of hope, maybe even a Magickal Incantation to rebuke the virus? (MONTHS after the crisis began, and after thousands of deaths, but hey, that's pretty much par-for-the course with Elohim-Inc.)

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 am
How about this. Wherever there is a need, LDS multipurpose rooms are turned into instant emergency hospitals.
The same news release I mentioned above said something about the use of buildings: Mentioning possible child-care options, but it also mentions that whatever happens has to be FREE. The good ol' USA doesn't know what the meaning of the word FREE means when it comes to healthcare and hospitals. :cry:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:33 am

Hagoth wrote:
How about spending some of the $100B to refit some of the factories making garments in order to make facemasks or whatever would make sense.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 am

blazerb wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:33 am
Hagoth wrote:
How about spending some of the $100B to refit some of the factories making garments in order to make facemasks or whatever would make sense.
As long as they put the navel mark over the nose so people know the mask is on correct.

And use caranessa instead of mesh!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:05 pm

No new updates from the top brass, but our area presidency got into the action with a recent email, quoted in part below...
North America West Presidency wrote: We hope you will invite others of faith to join with us in uniting our faith and prayers. As you do, please consider a generous fast offering and, based on your personal circumstances, a donation to the Humanitarian Fund. As an Area Presidency, we will be looking for significant and meaningful ways to address the immediate and growing humanitarian needs of our Area. We encourage you to listen to and share President Russell M. Nelson’s recent media posts on hope and love with your family and friends.

We invite you to join us in a special day of fasting and mighty prayer and to unite with others as we pray for heaven’s help and blessings.
Basically, thoughts and prayers, and please send more money for us to hoard...
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:24 pm

I bet they are still taking tithing payments.

Now instead of getting practically nothing for 10%, you get absolutely nothing.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 pm

SincereInquirer wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:05 pm
No new updates from the top brass, but our area presidency got into the action with a recent email, quoted in part below...
North America West Presidency wrote: We hope you will invite others of faith to join with us in uniting our faith and prayers. As you do, please consider a generous fast offering and, based on your personal circumstances, a donation to the Humanitarian Fund. As an Area Presidency, we will be looking for significant and meaningful ways to address the immediate and growing humanitarian needs of our Area. We encourage you to listen to and share President Russell M. Nelson’s recent media posts on hope and love with your family and friends.

We invite you to join us in a special day of fasting and mighty prayer and to unite with others as we pray for heaven’s help and blessings.
My advice would be to give to another humanitarian agency, since the few records we have seen from the church show that the Humanitarian Fund is just another avenue for giving money to the church. Remember when the UK members donated millions for tsunami aid and the records that had to be make publicly available under British law showed that the church just took it and dumped it into the general fund? I suspect that leak was what caused the new fine print at the bottom of the tithing slip.

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:25 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:46 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:24 am
You can't be mad at me
So, this is the "message of hope" that Nelson will produce at conference? It would certainly make this a historic conference.
We'll see how many GA's get the virus before conference...
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:53 pm

SincereInquirer wrote:

[quote=As an Area Presidency, we will be looking for significant and meaningful ways to address the immediate and growing humanitarian needs of our Area.
"But we doubt we'll find anything we can do really. The 1st Presidency would have to approve any ideas we come up with and they are so tight with their money they actually do squeek when they walk...."
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:27 pm

RMN could do like Moses, create a paper machete corona virus, kill it, then put it on a stick live stream on the church’s website so that anyone who clicked the link would be healed. Or, even better, he could do like JS and bless a bunch of hankies that could be sent all over the world to heal people.

He needs to look at the magic rock or use his glow pen. He should be able to come up with something miraculous.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:53 pm

The least Rusty or his cronies could do is come out with some sort of statement telling their followers to listen to the scientists, doctors, and governmental leaders who are trying to keep people from getting themselves killed by an invisible enemy.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 am

Pretty much sod all.

Useless, when it comes to real needs as opposed to make believe ones...as usual.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:21 am

SincereInquirer wrote:

WOW!!! But what did we expect? That they might tap into the $124 Billion instead of pressure people who are facing financial insecurity to give them money. They are so f-ed up! :roll:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:22 am

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:53 pm
The least Rusty or his cronies could do is come out with some sort of statement telling their followers to listen to the scientists, doctors, and governmental leaders who are trying to keep people from getting themselves killed by an invisible enemy.
Seriously tho…

And Rusty is a surgeon, a medical professional... ugh!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:43 am

MoPag wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:22 am
wtfluff wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:53 pm
Seriously tho…

And Rusty is a surgeon, a medical professional... ugh!
Nelson doesn't believe in evolution - he is a medical professional that said "dogs have always been dogs."

The dude is a fanatic that has no ability to see beyond his own closed off worldview, so what do we expect?

He didn't see this coming and anything he says now will be meaningless platitudes designed to keep members believing that he's in control of something.

Nelson is a pompous ass who goes on world tours to seek adoration while telling the poor to pay tithing if they want to end the poverty cycle.

He's the guy who spent more time, money, and energy getting the church to stop using the word "Mormon" than warning anyone of an impending pandemic.

Nelson is as clueless as everyone else and he's Mr. Burns sitting up there trying to figure out how to keep everyone in line while not peaking behind the curtain, and he knows damned well he can't say anything that has actual value and that every move the church has made so far to close buildings, temples, etc has been WEEKS behind most corporations and governments.

He's exposed for the complete fraud that he is to everyone that is willing to look at it objectively, so everything he says will be designed to keep the believers from measuring him in the same way.