Emotional Support Person

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Emotional Support Person

Post by Linked » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:39 pm

Some friends and I got together virtually recently to catch up amidst all the craziness. One of them, a TBM, is expecting a baby in a month or two so we talked about how that will go down. The current restrictions are that the mother and one emotional support person are allowed to come to the hospital for labor and delivery.

After saying that he paused, lowered his voice, and said, "It's ridiculous they can't just say mother and husband, what is the world coming to."

Why does using "emotional support person" have to be an attack on the mormon family? Can't inclusion just be inclusion? There are plenty of non-LGBTQ situations where a mother might want a support person in the room who isn't their husband. Deployed military. Single mothers. Maybe you just prefer your mom to your husband in that situation.

The mormon worldview can be exhausting to track and ridiculous to analyze.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Emower

Re: Emotional Support Person

Post by Emower » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:45 pm

Linked wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:39 pm
The mormon worldview can be exhausting to track and ridiculous to analyze.
Just imagine everything is out to get you, and you are better than everyone else, and you have the the Mormon worldview pretty pegged.

I seem to be able to deal with the "better than everyone else" aspect, but I really hate the "everything is out to get you" attitude.

glass shelf

Re: Emotional Support Person

Post by glass shelf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:52 pm

The sad news is that it's not just Mormons who view this as a personal attack.

I think the inclusion is fantastic, and it's something that makes medical spaces safer. I'm all for that.