How are you holding up?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

How are you holding up?

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:31 am

I’m still anxious over a few things and the Groundhog Day routine feelings have kicked in. Still waiting to wake up from all this yet the worst is yet to come.

I’m left wondering what the world will look like and if any changes behaviors will remain. It’s nice to not feel crowded but isolation is annoying too.

More importantly I hope health care workers can continue to be brave and fight this with limited damage to their own lives. Considering many are losing their lives I have to hold out hope that humanity will overcome and be stronger and more prepared.

Hang in their Nommies!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Re: How are you holding up?

Post by Hagoth » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 am

Now that our kids are on their own we have talked a lot about downsizing but right now we're very glad we haven't acted on that. Plenty of opportunities for togetherness put ample options for private time too. Utah isn't under sequester in place orders yet but we're being extra cautious. I'm still getting plenty of outdoor exercise. It's a great time to be on a bike trail.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Emower

Post by Emower » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:42 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 am
I'm still getting plenty of outdoor exercise. It's a great time to be on a bike trail.
I took the kids hiking the other day. There was dog crap all across the trail. It was like playing a game of the floor is lava. The trails on this side of the inter mountain west are well used...

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:27 am

Holding up?

What would be a good word for it? Maybe: Numb?

It's like a train-wreck. Like all train-wrecks, it's impossible for me to look away. And it's a train-wreck that involves the entire planet. It's also hard to not spend all my time ponderizing the irony of the entire situation. And the best thing I can do is sit on my couch. "Keep Distance To Preserve Existence."

Some one from the World Health Organization said yesterday: "Hope is the most powerful medicine."

Hmm... So how do I wrap up that weird, stream of consciousness above? Numb. Sitting on the couch to fight an invisible enemy. Waiting for it to pass, hoping for better days.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:25 am

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:27 am
Holding up?

It's like a train-wreck. Like all train-wrecks, it's impossible for me to look away. And it's a train-wreck that involves the entire planet. It's also hard to not spend all my time ponderizing the irony of the entire situation. And the best thing I can do is sit on my couch. "Keep Distance To Preserve Existence."

Some one from the World Health Organization said yesterday: "Hope is the most powerful medicine."

Hmm... So how do I wrap up that weird, stream of consciousness above? Numb. Sitting on the couch to fight an invisible enemy. Waiting for it to pass, hoping for better days.
I feel ya. I’m working from home and realized I hadn’t showered in 2 days. What a difference a nice hot shower does for your mental health.

The worst part is knowing the exponential numbers follow the same curve so watching the low numbers here and in UT and calculating next week is adding to the anxiety and numbness.

Then to make it worse my parents (in their 70’s) are still stuck in a third world country waiting for the church to fly them home once the political environment allows them to.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Angel

Post by Angel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:37 am

I am very much enjoying working from home, getting extra family time in, getting caught up on a lot of things.

I know there are quite a few people who do not have homes - or at least safe homes, have heard child abuse is on the rise, and divorce is up which is really sad...

Hoping by the end of this we will all help who we need to help, and will all be better off.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Angel

Post by Angel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 am

wtfluff wrote:
Holding up?

Might I suggest a home improvement project? Knitting? Read a book?

A little something to take your mind off the pain: https://youtu.be/1PiTpgk1v9Y

Hugs to ya, hope you find something fun to do this weekend.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw

Angel

Post by Angel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:43 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:25 am
wtfluff wrote:

Then to make it worse my parents (in their 70’s) are still stuck in a third world country waiting for the church to fly them home once the political environment allows them to.
Who knows, they might be safer where they are? It's God's over-ruling however it turns out I'm sure ;)

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:45 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:25 am
Oh that sucks!! ((hugs))

I'm going to start working from home on Monday.
All of my classes for nursing school are online now.
My kid's school is online. 5th grade math is hard.

I've been spending a lot of my extra time gardening. I think that is really helping me.

Oh and I'm going to start planning for NOMference too! :D

So I'm doing alright.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:58 pm

I feel like I'm just waiting for the next big thing to hit at both of my jobs. They're both slow (which means low census and I go home early which means less money), but they're also feeling like they're ramping up. We'll see how it all goes.

My husband and kids are home 24/7, so I walk in the door and get hit with whatever's happened there all day with distance ed. Once the weather really warms up enough for people to spend time outside, I think it will help a lot. My teens are going to be in charge of the veggie gardens this year. i have no idea how successful they'll be as gardeners, but they need some non-screen time activity that they have to deal with daily, so that's going to be it.

Uncertainty is so challenging.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:45 pm

I have been doing some home improvement projects. Work from home hasn't been overly demanding, but I so very desperately needed a break from work this feels like a blessing.

I feel fortunate to have a large home and relatively small family so there's plenty of space and quiet. I do not have a clue how people in city apartments and closed parks are able to cope with children in quarantine. :o :shock:

I thought I would fall into a habit of sleeping too much but I am waking up on time as usual and the eyebrow 11 is reducing so I am considering looking for remote work once this is all done. It is so much better for my mental health and peace of mind to spend more time in my home.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:06 pm

I'm a little more stressed. Remote work requires more coordination, which means more distractions, which are stressful for me.

I'm not nearly as affected as many of my coworkers. One admitted straight-up during our daily sync-up that he couldn't concentrate on anything. Another nearly broke down in tears about not having done much the day before... but her family in India is having a tough time and she feels so helpless. We all understand, of course, but it's hard for high achievers to adjust what they expect of themselves.

I told my manager that I'm doing fine because I have different insecurities.

My wife won't go shopping, so I do it. The experience is surreal and almost serene. Everyone is polite, lines up, follows the rules, gets their stuff and gets out. There's yellow and black tape all over the floor indicating lanes and spacing. (UK supermarkets have been preparing for another outbreak since SARS in 2003, and it shows.) My daughter and I were the only people holding a conversation. I wondered if anyone thought we weren't taking things seriously enough.

When I picked up some medication at the pharmacy, I realized that the older woman at the desk was in a high-risk demographic and a high-risk occupation. I thanked her for coming to work today.

I'm in awe sometimes. Thousands of retired NHS medical staff are going back to work. They know very well what their odds are if they catch this thing, but they're returning anyway. And when the NHS asked for 250000 volunteers to deliver goods to high-risk people in isolation, they got 400000 volunteers.

I worry about the economy. It's not just about dollars and cents, but people's retirement, medical care, and purpose. I hope we can figure out how to run things effectively without much casual contact, and that the turn into this brave new distributed world won't leave many bodies in its wake. I think calls to go back to work as if nothing happened are stupid. I think focusing solely on saving people from the virus is shortsighted. I hope that through all the wonderful contention between parties who dig down in extremes, we can find a happy medium that doesn't suck too much.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:13 pm

I do have a kid at home who's not dealing well with the "online school" thing.

It's gonna suck, but they're gonna have to find a way to get used to it, it's not going away any time soon enough.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:31 pm

Well...

Over two weeks since Dear Red Cowboy started the check-up thread.

How's everyone surviving?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:51 pm

Personally I am fine just getting tired of all the doomsday talk. I still think we have gone into meltdown more than necessary. So much more we could do and be safe without hiding in our basements.

At some point we will be forced to emerge virus or not. This is not sustainable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:57 pm

wtfluff wrote:
No, I believe they said "Hemp is the most powerful medicine."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:04 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:51 pm
Personally I am fine just getting tired of all the doomsday talk. I still think we have gone into meltdown more than necessary. So much more we could do and be safe without hiding in our basements.

At some point we will be forced to emerge virus or not. This is not sustainable.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too many Americans barely get past the porch anyway. If there was no media coverage they would probably be like me if there was no football season. Really? How'd I not notice that?

But really, in the long run this may have a different kind of impact than expected. I'm hearing from people (the lucky ones who didn't lose their jobs) who are getting a long-overdue chance to chill out a bit without feeling guilty about not getting a thousand things done that probably didn't need doing anyway. I wonder if they will all be eager to dive back into their previous over-scheduling, or if their priorities might undergo a bit of rearrangement.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:16 pm

My young kids are amazingly resilient with the whole thing. They are even getting better at entertaining each other in their off time. The school seems to be doing an ok job having let them check out ipads for their at home schooling. Nobody has been zoom bombed yet.

As for me, my lifestyle barely changed as I worked from home the majority of the week as it was. We even scored another large pack of TP that should get us through.

Waiting on the trump bucks to spend.

I think overall it has been kind of a reboot for sibling relationships and my wife even still likes me.

Last edited by FiveFingerMnemonic on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:10 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:16 pm
I think overall it has been kind of a reboot for sibling relationships and my wife even still likes me.
I agree! We only have one teen at home now. DW still has to go to her office because their industry and company haven't made enough investment into work from home IT infrastructure, VPN, process changes and such.

For me, however, it's been wonderful! I was working from home 1 day a week, slogging 30 miles each way to the office on 4. The time I have home now, not commuting, is now available for a quick hike to watch sunrise and sunset, sleeping in an hour or anything other than swearing at dumbass drivers. I've had some good quality time with the teen, getting her outside at least a few minutes per day for sun and how about that fresh air!? I've been fixing breakfast and lunches for my girls. I do missing going to the State and National Parks. I've got a permit for the Maze in Canyonlands in May, fingers are crossed, but it's at risk. But we are still able to get out on a dirt road in many places, see a few more than usual, but it's a big state.

I'm really enjoying more time with our dog and cat. Got to watch the cat catch a mouse in the backyard yesterday. It amazing what you can learn about them when you have more time to just sit and watch them. I've been getting some projects done around the home that have been sitting a while. We've made a few adjustments to work, but not many, as we almost always had somebody remote.

I realize not all industries were ready for this and some won't ever be able to accommodate it without replacing people with autonomous robots. This marks a major paradigm shift in the world, a meridian crossed, and nobody knows exactly what shakes out the other side.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:56 pm

Still happy to be in my home, with my family. Teenagers are super challenging at the moment. Distance ed has worn out its welcome. We are saving a lot of money not eating out I suspect.