How's house church going for you all?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
lostinmiddlemormonism

How's house church going for you all?

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:06 pm

So far it is going quite well for our house.

* My teenager that hates church loves house church...it only lasts 20 minutes or so.
* No homophobic remarks in almost 3 weeks
* No requests for money with no accountability
* No regurgitated talks that we have all heard before
* No messages from out of touch old white guys
* No gaslighting

Instead we have had:

* Topics like favorite teaching of Jesus, gratitude, and the importance of real agency and choosing for ourselves.
* Money has gone to charities that the family decided on together could use our help
* Quotes have come from great thought leaders from across history, religions, genders, and ages
* Kids actually asked today what we were going to do for house church tomorrow and offered suggestions.

Conclusion: House church good - everyone is starting to realize that perhaps we won't need to go back to the cold (both physically and spiritually) ward building.

-lost

Hagoth

Re: How's house church going for you all?

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:17 am

Today my ward is going to provide an online Sacrament Meeting. Actually they're calling it a church service, because no sacrament.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:23 am

Sister Palerider and I will be doing our usual self directed study accompanied by discussion of new and interesting insights and findings.

Together we will decide who will offer the "blessings on the sacrament". She does a fine prayer from the heart that is much more sincere than any "read" prayer. No corrections necessary.....

We will be sanctifying or setting apart "fruit of the vine" as was prescribed by the Savior.

One may recall that throughout history, bread and water are the food and symbols of those who are enslaved not those who have been made free.
Those who use water have in my mind "changed the Everlasting Covenant" symbols. Odd that they cannot see that fact when they point the accusatory finger at so many others.

Otherwise, a quiet, contemplative day of study, gratitude and worship at home. Only an idiot would think a church building necessary. Where do they think the early Christians first worshipped? ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:33 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:17 am
Today my ward is going to provide an online Sacrament Meeting. Actually they're calling it a church service, because no sacrament.
Interesting how General Conference Magick works across the internet, and I believe most folks think that "Proclaim the Gospel" Missionary Magick works across the internet, bu the Magick Sacrament Incantation doesn't work across the internet. Which secret handbook contains the insight into which Magick ones and zeros actually work? :?

Our home church is going excellent: Watching Bob's Burgers re-runs is True™!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:41 am

Of the ultra TBMs in my 'former' ward is inviting people to join him as he live-streams his family's at home F&T meeting today. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Their kid just got back from his mission (early) somewhere in south America and is under home quarantine. The nuts part is that the mission president made the statement that anyone going home due to the covid-19 will be considered a dishonerable discharge. Man, how messed up is that?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:31 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:23 am
One may recall that throughout history, bread and water are the food and symbols of those who are enslaved not those who have been made free.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:46 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:41 am
The nuts part is that the mission president made the statement that anyone going home due to the covid-19 will be considered a dishonerable discharge. Man, how messed up is that?
This just can't be right.

Either some mission president got off the ranch or someone misinterpreted what he said. The Mormon grapevine is the worst source of information.

But in the off chance it is true then someone in Salt Lake needs a trip to the woodshed.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:53 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
The nuts part is that the mission president made the statement that anyone going home due to the covid-19 will be considered a dishonerable discharge.
I love how they think it is the military or something. Employers might ask about your discharge status from the military...it could keep you out of government jobs. NOBODY cares about why you came home from your mission except TBM's.

-lost

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:11 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:31 pm
Palerider wrote:
And the good shepherd ultimately keeps the sheep together and leads them to the slaughter.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:37 pm

Home church be like:

Bishop:
I authorize WORTHY MALES to bless the sacrament at home!

EQP:
Bishop gave his authorization!
Have your families got the sacrament yet?

Ministering Dudes:
Bishop said we can bless at home!
Have you had the sacrament yet?

EQP:
Report back!
Report back!
Report back!

Ministering dudes:
Sorry to bother you, bishop wants to know if...
Have you had He sacrament yet?

EQP:
Did you report back to your district? Uhhhh...

Me: Jesus Christ please call off your followers, they have no idea how to minister the gospel!

Anyone know how to go inactive from home church?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:14 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:53 pm
Just This Guy wrote:
The nuts part is that the mission president made the statement that anyone going home due to the covid-19 will be considered a dishonerable discharge.
I love how they think it is the military or something. Employers might ask about your discharge status from the military...it could keep you out of government jobs. NOBODY cares about why you came home from your mission except TBM's.

-lost
Nobody cares that you even went on a mission except TBMs, let along how you ended it.

Looking back on it, if I was going put life on hold for 3 years (2 year mission plus time on either end to get back on school schedule) I would have been better off serving in the military. There you get paid, marketable skills, and something that you are not embarrassed to have on your resume.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:28 pm

Hermey wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:11 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:31 pm
Palerider wrote:
And the good shepherd ultimately keeps the sheep together and leads them to the slaughter.

Meh.....

The majority of the time a truly good shepherd keeps his sheep alive much longer than if they were left unattended at the mercy of big cats, bears, jackels/coyotes and wolves.

Slaughter is not terribly common because you destroy the wool producing capability. Plus a larger flock produces more of that wool. It's pretty hard to produce new lambs from dead sheep.

It's actually a symbiotic relationship. The sheep get better and longer quality of life, plus safety. The shepherd gets good clothing and a few shekels if he manages well.

George Washington

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:37 pm
Anyone know how to go inactive from home church?
TXT Message:

Dear (first name) bishop, (first name) EQP and (first name) ministering dudes,

No-one in the history of humanity has died from NOT receiving "the sacrament."

We may be on track to see hundreds of thousands of people die from COVID-19.

#StayTheF@ckHome

Sincerely Red Ryder.

(Carbon Copy Mrs. Ryder also. :o )
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:28 pm

Meh.....

The majority of the time a truly good shepherd keeps his sheep alive much longer than if they were left unattended at the mercy of big cats, bears, jackels/coyotes and wolves.

Slaughter is not terribly common because you destroy the wool producing capability. Plus a larger flock produces more of that wool. It's pretty hard to produce new lambs from dead sheep.

It's actually a symbiotic relationship. The sheep get better and longer quality of life, plus safety. The shepherd gets good clothing and a few shekels if he manages well.
Interesting! Thanks for that explanation. I learned something new.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:27 pm

Palerider wrote:
Meh.....

What about all the "Firstborn" sheep in the Old Testament?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:20 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:33 am

Our home church is going excellent: Watching Bob's Burgers re-runs is True™!
^^^Best church ever!!!

The Church of Fortnite was great! DD and I got a win in duos.

Then my TBM parents tricked us into a surprise home sacrament meeting. But my DAUGHTER PASSED THE SACRAMENT! so i'm calling it another win!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:13 am

Palerider wrote:
The shepherd gets good clothing and a few shekels if he manages well.
And if he manages really well...billions and billions of dollars.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:18 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:27 pm
Palerider wrote:
Meh.....

What about all the "Firstborn" sheep in the Old Testament?
You're right. The firstborn was offered as a symbolic acknowledgement of the covenant relationship between God and His people and the eventual salvific sacrifice that He would make personally on their behalf.

But if you look at one lamb out of say 100 or 500 that's a small token. And that isn't to say that sheep were never slaughtered for food. Occasionally they were. But as pointed out earlier a good shepherd actually enhances the life of his flock in general.

Now if you want to look at men who CLAIM to be good shepherds when they are in reality exploiting the sheep that's a different story.

From Ezekiel 34: 2-3
"Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel, prophecy, and say unto them, Thus sayeth the Lord God unto the shepherds; Woe be unto the shepherds of Israel that do feed themselves! Should not the shepherds feed the flocks?
Ye eat the fat and ye clothe ye with the wool, ye kill them that are fed: but ye feed not the flock.
The diseased ye have not strengthened, neither have ye healed that which was sick, neither have ye bound up that which was broken.....with cruelty have ye ruled them."

The entire chapter of Ezekiel 34 is quite a commentary on those who feed themselves upon the flocks of God rather than caring for them. I certainly see parallels between those who take 10% from destitute villagers in South America and Africa while sitting on their 100 Billion rainy day fund, don't you?

I find nothing in the words of Christ himself that would lead one to believe that that's o.k.

George Washington

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:31 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:13 am
Palerider wrote:
See comment above. ;)

George Washington

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:54 pm

Palerider wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:31 am
RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:13 am
Palerider wrote:
See comment above. ;)
I remember well that chapter in Ezekiel. I had a stake prez lay that one on us in a PH leadership session once, guilting us into going out, make our visits and get the in actives to get active and pay their tithing to the corporation. Wow! What an irony!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE