Faith Journey level-up!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Fifi de la Vergne

Faith Journey level-up!

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:03 pm

So there have been a lot of references to General Conference in recent posts, and I have been generally aware that it was coming up. But I'm counting it as a real milestone in my post-mormon journey that I didn't realize until a couple of minutes ago (when someone in another thread said "this weekend") that General Conference is THIS WEEKEND.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Palerider

Re: Faith Journey level-up!

Post by Palerider » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:48 pm

I spend too much time here for it to sneak up on me but I commend you on being involved enough with life in general that GC didn't figure in. 8-)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:38 pm

I am very jealous of folks like you Fifi, who get to the point that they forget about the bi-annual MORmON Convention.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:58 am

Does everyone have their microwave popcorn and diet colas ready?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:41 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:58 am
Does everyone have their microwave popcorn and diet colas ready?
Purple Punch is a better choice for taking the edge off conference. Or alternatively, if you buy into it, purple Kool-Aid.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:43 am

Now that it has registered that GC is this weekend, I find myself really wondering if they will offer anything of value. I remember how eager I was for conference right after 9/11, hoping for inspired guidance -- and how deflated I was when we were basically told to just keep on as usual.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:00 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:41 am
Purple Punch is a better choice for taking the edge off conference.
I had to google it, but I get it now.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:03 am

I check this board too often to forget... but I hope to get there someday. Or at least to a point when I know it's coming but don't care because it won't impact me whatsoever.

If my wife ever opens up, I could walk away in a heartbeat. I'd check in here because this stuff still fascinates me, but I could see GC is coming up and just be curious without having to worry about my wife constantly texting with her family for 3-4 days in a row about how glorious it all is.

One day... maybe.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:32 am

I think I have a higher tolerance for LDS meetings than most apostates. I will be watching GC this weekend mainly to know what ideas, policies, and expectations will be in play when dealing with the many, many believers in my life. I was happy with 2 hour church and the functional end of home teaching. If anything new happens this weekend I at least want to know how to adapt with preservation of family and ward relationships in mind.

I will also be playing a lot of video games during 10 specific hours of this weekend.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:32 am
I think I have a higher tolerance for LDS meetings than most apostates. I will be watching GC this weekend mainly to know what ideas, policies, and expectations will be in play when dealing with the many, many believers in my life. I was happy with 2 hour church and the functional end of home teaching. If anything new happens this weekend I at least want to know how to adapt with preservation of family and ward relationships in mind.

I will also be playing a lot of video games during 10 specific hours of this weekend.
I probably care less what is said than you do, but it is basically the same reason that I will be watching. I just have to worry about a few liberal type Mormons in my life, so it sent too bad.

Well, knowing what is going on in my TBMs lives and that we have a small house and there really is no escaping what is on TV, unless I go somewhere and.....social distancing. So I will be watching, with iPad in hand with some game on it.

Well, unless Oaks says something homophobic and then my believing husband has been known to turn the whole thing off for the rest of the day. But that kind of horrible talk are the ones I want to listen to so I know what everyone is talking about on the internet.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:20 pm

I'm mostly worried that they will seize the opportunity ride the ridiculous wave of distorted thinking that this pandemic is some sort of proof of their prophetic majesty. They've been setting up conference to be a Joseph Smith worshiping event but I have a feeling all of the Joseph Smith stuff will just be used as landmarks pointing at Russel H. Nelson.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."