I'm kinda worried about the children of fundamentalists

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

I'm kinda worried about the children of fundamentalists

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:14 pm

Not just Mormons, but the poor kids who are locked down in a house with fundamentalist parents hammering them day and night with scary BS about God's retribution and Satan's power. Without the balance of friends, teacher, sports, etc. we could end up with some weirdly bent kids who have been cultured in the petri dish of religious unbalance.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Re: I'm kinda worried about the children of fundamentalists

Post by jfro18 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:43 pm

Yeah... that's a really interesting thought.

Lindsey Hansen Park has been sharing on Facebook posts from Mormons that are tying the pandemic to backdating prophecy/etc and that's bad enough, but there are plenty of other religions that are preaching the end of the world stuff too... and now they'll be even more emboldened with a situation such as this.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:56 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:14 pm
Not just Mormons, but the poor kids who are locked down in a house with fundamentalist parents hammering them day and night with scary BS about God's retribution and Satan's power. Without the balance of friends, teacher, sports, etc. we could end up with some weirdly bent kids who have been cultured in the petri dish of religious unbalance.
I love the Petri dish analogy! ;)

This is a great observation to consider. We've seen in the past, super TBMs going ape $hit when anything semi-dramatic happens from the top pulpit or world events. Preppers are creaming themselves over this COVID thing and the earthquakes. Since LDS corp was born we've see so many crazies spin off and spin the drama into their own movements. Having the kids hunkered down in those environments will certain perpetuate that thinking. This is another reason cultist religions like this are bad for society.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:18 pm

A TBM friend of mine once told me about his ultra-TBM relatives who kept their kids isolated from the world and didn't even home school them, apart from LDS indoctrination. I mean, what's the point if the Savior is coming any day now? Those kids are now grown and have no education, career opportunities or social skills. Great job Mom and Dad. I'm sure it's just what Jesus wants for your kids. What's the old saying? No success in the Twilight Zone can compensate for failure in reality?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:21 am

I worry about this also -- not only kids of TBM's, but kids of preppers, and relatives of Q-Anon followers. Q Anon cultists believe that the stay-at-home order was not issued for the purpose of isolating people from COVID-19. It was issued so that the streets would be clear when thousands of people are arrested for being part of satanic groups that are hiding millions of children underground in tunnels for use in satanic rituals. Hillary Clinton, Oprah, and Michelle Obama, all have arrest warrants issued for them, according to the Q people. - Wndr.
Last edited by Wonderment on Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:36 am

Wonderment wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:21 am
Q Anon cultists believe that the stay-at-home order was not issued for the purpose of isolating people from COVID-19. It was issued so that the streets would be clear when thousands of people are arrested for being part of satanic groups that are hiding millions of children underground in tunnels for use in satanic rituals. Hillary Clinton, Oprah, and Michelle Obama, all have arrest warrants issued for them, according to the Q people.
I didn't know this was a real thing so I looked into it. Some of these people actually attend White House events and speak at Trump rallies (if the lamestream media is to be believed ;) ). So what will happen when none of these things come to pass? Nothing. They'll just warp their craziness in another zany direction. Also coming from another faction of the ultra-right is the opposite explanation for the isolation, and I just read that they have assigned a security detail to Anthony Fauci because of death threats accusing him of inventing the isolation hoax to damage Trump's re-election.

alas

Post by alas » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:07 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:36 am
Wonderment wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:21 am
Q Anon cultists believe that the stay-at-home order was not issued for the purpose of isolating people from COVID-19. It was issued so that the streets would be clear when thousands of people are arrested for being part of satanic groups that are hiding millions of children underground in tunnels for use in satanic rituals. Hillary Clinton, Oprah, and Michelle Obama, all have arrest warrants issued for them, according to the Q people.
I didn't know this was a real thing so I looked into it. Some of these people actually attend White House events and speak at Trump rallies (if the lamestream media is to be believed ;) ). So what will happen when none of these things come to pass? Nothing. They'll just warp their craziness in another zany direction. Also coming from another faction of the ultra-right is the opposite explanation for the isolation, and I just read that they have assigned a security detail to Anthony Fauci because of death threats accusing him of inventing the isolation hoax to damage Trump's re-election.
My husband just an hour ago asked the clerk at Walmart what he was doing wrong that trying to do the order groceries on line didn’t work. And she gave him a crazy conspiracy theory about how the virus is all about Bill Gates taking over the world and that was why he couldn’t order his groceries on line.

This has seriously made the crazies of the world a bit more crazy.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:02 pm

alas wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:07 am
This has seriously made the crazies of the world a bit more crazy.
Buckle up. I fear we're just getting started!