NOMference 2020!!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
MoPag

NOMference 2020!!

Post by MoPag » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:55 am

Soooo.....
It's that time of year again!!!

And Rusty's super cool GC has been ruined by a worldwide plague. (I literally never thought I would ever write a sentence like that ever) And yet here we are...

So for the newbie NOMs this is how NOMference works:

I will start a thread for each session. Every speaker starts with a score of 0. You can either give them points for the good things they say, or take points away for all the crappy things. We try to keep in in the range of Hogwarts house points; 5,10, 20, 50, etc. But if they are being super hateful (looking at you Oaks) anything goes. I will try to keep you entertained with random Memes and snarky comments. You are encouraged to post your memes and snarky comments too. :D

I think I've done this NOMference game before but I've noticed a lot of the comments alluding to it so here goes.
NOMference2020.png
NOMference2020.png (204.6 KiB) Viewed 8287 times
Let's keep a tally of how much love each of theses guys get from the GC speakers. And then we can crown one of them Most Popular!!!

The traditional NOMference breakfast is a cinnamon roll to represent our Mormon past and a coffee drink to represent our bright future.

Be sure to get your favorite alcoholic (or other) beverage for the priesthood session.

We have the most kick a$$ ward family and we are going to get through this weekend and we are going to get through this pandemic TOGETHER!! Love you guys!!!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

alas

Re: NOMference 2020!!

Post by alas » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:59 am

You know that horrible thing on God caused the pandemic so that missionaries would be home with their families for conference? Well, alternately God caused the pandemic so that all the Joseph Smith worship at least wouldn’t be witnessed in person by thousands in the conference center. It was God’s way of minimizing this Joseph Smith worshipfest. God is trying to SAVE people from this lie about the first vision.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:47 am

MoPag wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:55 am
Let's keep a tally of how much love each of theses guys get from the GC speakers. And then we can crown one of them Most Popular!!!
All ya'll torturing yourselves this weekend please attempt to keep track of the mentions of the "Covenant Path™" marketing cliché.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

græy

Post by græy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:31 pm

MoPag wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:55 am

LOL! I love the popularity contest idea.
wtfluff wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:47 am
All ya'll torturing yourselves this weekend please attempt to keep track of the mentions of the "Covenant Path™" marketing cliché.
I always deduct points for use of that phrase. Also "...gather[ing] Israel on both sides of the veil." -10
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:07 pm

Woot-woot! I'm so glad not to suffer alone, and we can collectively share our pain. I'm sure I'll annoy Sis M. to no end with my participation in NOMference, but a few dagger looks will be worth it!

You rock Mopag!
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:52 am

I've been doing a pretty good job of avoiding GC lately, but I'll probably sit through it this time. My curiosity his high.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Random

Post by Random » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:03 am

græy wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:31 pm
I always deduct points for use of that phrase. Also "...gather[ing] Israel on both sides of the veil." -10
I think "even" such and such is usually deducted a little, too. (Maybe only one point.) "Even our beloved prophet," even though the word is used to make a phrase flowery and not in the usual sense of "even".
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:30 am

I'm excited. Let the games begin.

And being a fan of both statistics and innocuous betting, I'm going to volunteer to supply the current odds for the popularity contest, which are based on a complicated formula of my fallible memory of previous history, the Coronavirus confound, and bicentennial of Joey and the Visionaries. These are Vegas approved and ready to roll out (cuz hey, what else is anyone gonna bet on right now?!).

Favorite: RMN at 3/2 (40% probability)
Second Fav is JS at 2/1 (33%)
Longshot is Jesus coming in at 4/1 (20%)

Don't forget, feel free to spend an extra 10% on your bets because you aren't supposed to pay tithes on your winnings.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:44 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:30 am
I'm excited. Let the games begin.

And being a fan of both statistics and innocuous betting, I'm going to volunteer to supply the current odds for the popularity contest, which are based on a complicated formula of my fallible memory of previous history, the Coronavirus confound, and bicentennial of Joey and the Visionaries. These are Vegas approved and ready to roll out (cuz hey, what else is anyone gonna bet on right now?!).

Favorite: RMN at 3/2 (40% probability)
Second Fav is JS at 2/1 (33%)
Longshot is Jesus coming in at 4/1 (20%)

Don't forget, feel free to spend an extra 10% on your bets because you aren't supposed to pay tithes on your winnings.
^^^Love it!!!

Random

Post by Random » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:22 am

I can't embed a photo here, but below is a link to a screen shot I took at the beginning of today's conference for those not watching, yet are curious as to where they are meeting, what it looks like. (That's all I opened the conference for. It's closed now, and I wait to know if anything interesting is said via this thread.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/140Y5mT ... sp=sharing
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:38 am

I can tell by the total lack of comments that they probably aren't really saying anything.

Someone said in another online place that Mr. Nelson is going to lead a hosanna shout tomorrow.

PK

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:41 am

Joseph is winning the first quarter so far, and he's got a big lead.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:15 am

Random wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:38 am
I can tell by the total lack of comments that they probably aren't really saying anything.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5129

There will be a "mega thread" for each session...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:34 am

Can we have a write in ballot for "the adversary"? Because we sure are obsessed with him. :lol:

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:39 am

End of first quarter and no surprise. Joseph takes the first quarter and makes the conversion with the closing hymn! The hymn about him!

Oh wait, Henry yet to speak!

Random

Post by Random » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:10 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:15 am
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5129

There will be a "mega thread" for each session...
Thanks. For some reason, I thought this was the thread for Saturday. I shoulda looked around.

PK

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:16 pm

Jesus won the second quarter, but Joseph still has a solid lead in the popularity contest.

Mentions of the pandemic? More like borefest as usual, and no relating anything they're saying with the freaking unprecedented global pandemic! Makes them seem out of touch. Is that just me?

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:24 pm

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:16 pm
Jesus won the second quarter, but Joseph still has a solid lead in the popularity contest.

Mentions of the pandemic? More like borefest as usual, and no relating anything they're saying with the freaking unprecedented global pandemic! Makes them seem out of touch. Is that just me?
They are so out of touch!