Sunday Morning NOMference!!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
græy

Re: Sunday Morning NOMference!!

Post by græy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:05 am

I am so sick of conference. The self-aggrandizement, the black&white thinking... Dah.

I only hope that quarantine goes on for longer so I don't have to teach lessons on this stuff.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:13 am

So is the proc an actual proc to be framed like the family one, or was it just setting up a video to show?

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:17 am

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:13 am
So is the proc an actual proc to be framed like the family one, or was it just setting up a video to show?
I don't think they make frames that big.

It's going to be like the missing portion of the Abraham papyri. You start unrolling it on the kitchen table, and it will roll through the living room, out the front door, down the stairs and into a mysterious cave guarded by Jizo statues.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Random

Post by Random » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:19 am

AllieOop wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:47 am
AdmiralHoldo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:46 am
Do you think they could have shoehorned a few more words into the title of this thing???

I'm reminded of what the (now defunct) blog Reasoning With Vampires used to say about Stephenie Meyers' writing: "sentences are not minivans." :lol:
What is the title of the proclamation?

I ditto this. What is the title of the proclamation?

Also, I gather from the comments here that it is extremely long? So no printouts of it hanging i people's homes, then?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:24 am

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... -april.pdf

Actually it does fit on one page. I guess it just took a long time to read out loud... or it felt like time stood still when heard. :P
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:27 am

Rasband (Kevin) -10365
Cordon +25
Holland +680
David Pickles Bednar -250
Rusty -625
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:28 am

AllieOop wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:47 am
AdmiralHoldo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:46 am
Do you think they could have shoehorned a few more words into the title of this thing???

I'm reminded of what the (now defunct) blog Reasoning With Vampires used to say about Stephenie Meyers' writing: "sentences are not minivans." :lol:
What is the title of the proclamation?

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... oclamation
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:29 am

nibbler wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:24 am

Actually it does fit on one page. I guess it just took a long time to read out loud... or it felt like time stood still when heard. :P
The original proclamation may have taken three pages when you add in their signatures and doodles.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:34 am

nibbler wrote:

That's so pointless. It's literally a quick recap of what the church is. there's nothing new, no new revelation... just a cliffs notes version of missionary discussions.

They discuss the First Vision, which didn't happen as stated.

They discuss the priesthood restoration, which didn't happen as stated.

And they only mention Elijah and not Elias. I WONDER WHY THAT IS?

I can't wait to see the orders at deseret books for this to go up on the walls. :lol:

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:38 am

DW is so worried I am going to poison our daughter's mind about the church. Thank you Rusty and company for doing that for me! Seriously, thank you. You should have seen her face during the hosanna shout. Complete WTF is this?! So weird and cringey for her. In addition to a conference full of boring nothingness that doesn't give her any comfort about the Covid crisis that has her scared. Thank you.

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:48 am

Favorite parts of Sunday morning session:

1. Rasband being Rasband: shouldn't someone somewhere tell him that he sounds like an @$$ kissing tool in every single talk he gives and it's embarrassing? Time to try to preach some substance Ronald. You are an apostle for dog's sake...

2. Pickles (love this as much as Darth Bednar) listing out the numbers of temples and trying to act like Nelson was a huge part of making it all happen...and also conveniently leaving out how many that have been announced but will likely never be built (Russia anyone?)

3. Mr. Burns asking the media to please not make fun of the Hosanna Shout...then why are you doing it publicly in conference then?? It looks and sounds stupid and it makes absolutely no sense as to why you need to do one in conference right now...it is OK for people to admit it for you Mr. Nelson...
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:01 pm

Wait, isn’t the new proclamation the same thing missionaries have been wandering around proclaiming for 100+ years? Does it really need a place next to the proclamations that gay marriage is bad and the proclamation that Negros are second class citizens?
~2bizE

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:05 pm

Did anyone else notice that Elder Oaks has no sense of rhythm?

That white man can't dance.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:10 pm

I don’t think Dieter has spoken yet. He normally would be on his 3rd talk by now....
~2bizE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:14 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:34 am
nibbler wrote:

That's so pointless. It's literally a quick recap of what the church is. there's nothing new, no new revelation... just a cliffs notes version of missionary discussions.

They discuss the First Vision, which didn't happen as stated.

They discuss the priesthood restoration, which didn't happen as stated.

And they only mention Elijah and not Elias. I WONDER WHY THAT IS?

I can't wait to see the orders at deseret books for this to go up on the walls. :lol:
After conference there was a session with Carol Makita on the first visions showing different historians saying that having multiple, competing versions is normal and if you don’t believe the FV is true then you are stupid.
A few books were shown and my wife wrote them down...one was Rough Stone Rolling....this may be good. Maybe she will order it and we can read together....
~2bizE

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:15 pm

nibbler wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:17 am
jfro18 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:13 am
I don't think they make frames that big.

It's going to be like the missing portion of the Abraham papyri. You start unrolling it on the kitchen table, and it will roll through the living room, out the front door, down the stairs and into a mysterious cave guarded by Jizo statues.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:19 pm

Sorry, I'm late to the party. Just finishing up reading through the most excellent cliff-notes.

græy wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:15 am
Why do so many people enjoy going to such a boring, monotonous, cringy, and seemingly useless ceremony?
Virtue Signaling.

Remember: One of the most important parts of being MORmON is out-MORmON-ing your MORmON neighbors.

One of the best ways to do this, is to twist your mind in knots making up "new stuff" that you learn in the Polygamy Palace, and then telling everyone it's "too sacred to talk about." (In other words: Just LIE.)

moksha wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:52 am
Hosanna to the left
Hosanna to the right
Hosanna up
Hosanna down

Shout
Shout
Shout

Yay Hosanna!
Howdy Ho!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:27 pm

Ok, first thank you to Mopag & the others suffering through this utter cluster f- - - - of a conference and for the updates and commentary. Husband has been working insane hours so kids & I were spared. Your comments are often hilarious, and I have really needed all the lol moments. Love you all!!!!!

And I have expressed this in another thread, but my anger at the mormon “church” is at an all time high right now. I keep reading about organizations/restaurants/celebrities giving to people & hospitals & front line workers in need right now. Even Samaritans Purse, which usually buiilds hospitals/shelters in 3rd world/war torn countries built a hospital in Central Park for Covid patients. NYC is so bad that a hospital had to order a refrigerated truck to store dead bodies outside in the last day or so. And the supposed church that speaks directly to Jesus and has 150 billion + in assets/real estate etc is giving NOTHING????? WTAF??!!

So- I am giving who I consider to be the single biggest, most self centered ASSHOLE in the universe -100,000,000 points for the continued charade of parading around as Jesus’ prophet of Jesus’ church with billions and billions and billions, and doing NOTHING except trying to promote said sham of a “church.” ROT IN HELL RUSS.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:31 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:10 pm
I don’t think Dieter has spoken yet. He normally would be on his 3rd talk by now...
Why is he missing?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:33 pm

Newme wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:56 am
You put your hankie in
You put your hankie out
You put your hankie in
And then you shake it all about.
You sync with dear old Rusty
And try not to glance around.
That's the Hosanna Shout! (Yes sir!)

I am going to work really, really hard to not sing this around my wife...
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.