If you fast without posting about it on facebook, are you even fasting?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
glass shelf

If you fast without posting about it on facebook, are you even fasting?

Post by glass shelf » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:52 am

My newsfeed says no.

I'd love to comment on it, but that would be "persecuting" people, right?

Please, for the love of Easter bunnies, people stop adding me to your fasting/MLM/whatever groups. I don't invite you to my stuff I know you're not interested in.

RubinHighlander

Re: If you fast without posting about it on facebook, are you even fasting?

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:10 am

Statistically, it won't matter either way as far as the desired outcome of any improvements across the world or personally.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

SIWL

Post by SIWL » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:43 am

How many souls does it take to get action - I think individuals fasted, then our local ward had a fast, then our stake, then the whole church, now our church combining with all faiths......will it be enough? There must be a magic number needed to get the almighty's attention? So possibly FB is needed in order to get the numbers up to the threshold for action.

On a personal note, I haven't been on this site for a few months, but I've always loved your posts Glass Shelf - along with others here - it's good to have a place to come and get some laughs.
Through our eyes, the universe is perceiving itself.

For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. ~ Carl Sagan

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:07 am

GlassShelf
No I don’t believe you are persecuting them. Please tell people the truth, that Mormon Inc has $124 B + about 100B more in real estate. Tell them NOT to give their hard earned $ to them, but to give to real charities who need it right now. And to save for their own “rainy day” fund like
the church does.

I am hardly on FB anymore, and I’ve unfollowed most of my Mormon friends who gush about gen con etc. But if I get an invite to something like that I am so angry after conference that I am going to say something.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:18 am

SIWL wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:43 am
How many souls does it take to get action - I think individuals fasted, then our local ward had a fast, then our stake, then the whole church, now our church combining with all faiths......will it be enough?
Good to hear from you SIWL!

It seems to me that one really good faster should be able to do the job. Maybe the leader of the the one true church or something.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Emower

Post by Emower » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:09 am

No. Nothing seems to count in Mormonism at an institutional level unless there is some press that can come out of it, and nothing counts on an individual level without being able to brag about it on Facebook or at fast and testimony meeting.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:13 pm

So much for praying in closets in secret and not doing alms before men. Reminds me of a childhood friend who I invited on a hike and it turned out he was fasting but still went anyway without telling me until I offered him water. That's true suffering for the cause.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:09 pm

I fasted and didn’t post it on Facebook. If I did, it would have read “After a delicious lunch, I spent the rest of my day and late into the night working in my garage. When I went to bed, I realize I had fasted since lunch, and having skipped two meals, dinner and supper, I dreamed of what I would eat for breakfast. Leave Coronavirus!”
~2bizE

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:08 pm

I wonder about a God that likes his children to go hungry. Why is it constant sacrifice and begging to get Gods attention? These are characteristics we would condemn in ourselves yet we constantly ascribe them to a loving God.

In my world god will not intervene. He may give direction even inspiration to achieve an outcome but there will be no magic. We have to work things out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison