COVID-19 and Christ return

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Geocacher

COVID-19 and Christ return

Post by Geocacher » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:13 am

What are your thoughts about Christ return?
How soon do you think His return will be??
Is the COVID-19 the start of the End??

Geocacher

Re: COVID-19 and Christ return

Post by Geocacher » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:15 am

In my case I been sensing the END somewhat before this Virus, but now I am seeing that this thing may hang around too long. Will life get back to normal, or will be be forever changed?

alas

Post by alas » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:35 am

My thoughts are that the second coming is figurative and happens within us when we accept God. God is part of us already, so his “return” is us rejoining that part of ourselves. So outwardly the earth just keeps spinning, but within each of us, we either return to Christ, or we die without returning to Christ and we meet up with him then and he yells at us. So, we are responsible for keeping our home livable because he is not coming to clean up after his messy polluting children. We are responsible for making our earth a place where the politics are not so corrupted, and everyone has access to clean water and enough food. He isn’t going to come and overthrow the government and take over. That was the kind of messiah the Jews were looking for when he came to first time, and they never found him. So, don’t make the same mistake as the Jews and look right past Jesus. He is not coming in a blasé of glory to fix everything any more than he did for the Jews.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:49 pm

Every generation since Jesus' time have thought they were on the brink of the Second Coming. Paul told people to not bother getting married because the time was so late. European Christians assumed that the Black Plague was the end. Same with the Great Depression, WW1, etc. etc. Just a couple of years ago people were calling the hurricanes and wildfires the beginning of the end. Everyone has been wrong so far. Every single time. I see no reason to be packing your bags for the next life quite yet. Even Jesus even said there were people listening to him that would be alive when he returned. That's what Joseph Smith said in his generation too, and the patriarchs who gave all of those thousands of blessings to people who have since died. They were all wrong. Every single one.

Even Boyd K. Packer, who otherwise seemed like a bit of a fear monger in a 2011 conference talk said,"“It is a marvelous time to be alive. The world is not going to come to an end anytime soon. You are going to have time to stand, as I stand now, talking about your children and your grandchildren and your great-grandchildren." So that would suggest you've got at least three generations before you need to get too jumpy about it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:31 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:49 pm
Even Boyd K. Packer, who otherwise seemed like a bit of a fear monger in a 2011 conference talk said, “You are going to have time to stand, as I stand now".
In this time of pandemic, Elder Packer's words bring to mind the book The Stand, by the prophet Stephen King. That's the book where all the NOMs hightail it to Colorado, while the TBMs head to Las Vegas.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:33 pm

Well, since there is no evidence that the first coming ever happened, I'm not too worried about the 2nd coming. Christ tells people in Acts that they will live to see the 2nd coming. So you have one generation to wait. If it didn't happen by 134 AD, I think we are safe to say that it won't happen.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

hmb

Post by hmb » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:19 am

Christ to return? Each generation will think it's during their life. Pfft, I'm waiting for the Three Nephites. I would have thought them to be Larry, Curly, and Moe, but those three died. So no. I wonder where they are bunkering down?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:13 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:31 pm
In this time of pandemic, Elder Packer's words bring to mind the book The Stand, by the prophet Stephen King. That's the book where all the NOMs hightail it to Colorado, while the TBMs head to Las Vegas.
Maybe it's no coincidence that the Colorado portion of the miniseries was filmed in Utah.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:47 pm

The world and Universe started to make a lot more sense when I realized Jesus is dead and not returning.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:47 pm
The world and Universe started to make a lot more sense when I realized Jesus is dead and not returning.
^This is a test, folks.^ I have good reason to believe that Spicy IS the returned Messiah.