Culture of Fake Friends

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Keewon

Re: Culture of Fake Friends

Post by Keewon » Tue May 05, 2020 9:01 pm

Not Buying It wrote:And that, my friends, is one thing Mormonism has taught us - other people are a means to an end. You don't serve people because you love them, you serve them because you are supposed to and God wants you to and you'd better if you want to make it to the tippity top of the Celestial Kingdom.
Looking back on my life, I now recognize this as one of the subtlest of snares. Even the BofM, which says so much about being filled with the pure love of Christ and being perfected in him, makes me and my spiritual state the center of every social interaction, and gives every otherwise innocent act of kindness a selfish motive. I have to pay such close attention to my motives that I can't just relax and enjoy being with someone, or do something nice just because someone would benefit from it regardless of its impact on me. Or as Paul said, I could even give all my goods to feed the poor and "if I have not charity it profiteth me nothing", as though the whole point of doing good is to derive some profit from it.

Needless to say, like so many others I found it so much easier to be honest and caring in my interactions with others when I stopped worrying about my blessed soul every moment of every day. :)

Keewon

Post by Keewon » Tue May 05, 2020 9:01 pm

Not Buying It wrote:And that, my friends, is one thing Mormonism has taught us - other people are a means to an end. You don't serve people because you love them, you serve them because you are supposed to and God wants you to and you'd better if you want to make it to the tippity top of the Celestial Kingdom.
Looking back on my life, I now recognize this as one of the subtlest of snares. Even the BofM, which says so much about being filled with the pure love of Christ and being perfected in him, makes me and my spiritual state the center of every social interaction, and gives every otherwise innocent act of kindness a selfish motive. I have to pay such close attention to my motives that I can't just relax and enjoy being with someone, or do something nice just because someone would benefit from it regardless of its impact on me. Or as Paul said, I could even give all my goods to feed the poor and "if I have not charity it profiteth me nothing", as though the whole point of doing good is to derive some profit from it.

Needless to say, like so many others I found it so much easier to be honest and caring in my interactions with others when I stopped worrying about my blessed soul every moment of every day. :)

PalmSprings

Post by PalmSprings » Thu May 07, 2020 9:46 pm

Keewon wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:01 pm
Brilliant observation! This personally is what helped me turn the corner from being simply angry all the time at the church and/or its members. The realization that I could be myself without pressure made me a better person. In addition, always having an ulterior motive is mentally exhausting as you worry constantly about your own motivations and those of others.